Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-30-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
SouthernShred
SouthernShred began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
calibre will no longer open - python error

I've uninstalled, reinstalled, cleaned the registry, ensured all directories are deleted...I continue to get this python error on startup...here are the results of the debug:

Code:
C:\Users\Shannon>calibre-debug -g
Python function terminated unexpectedly
  [Error 5] Access is denied (Error Code: 1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site.py", line 132, in main
  File "site.py", line 109, in run_entry_point
  File "site-packages\calibre\debug.py", line 190, in main
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 347, in main
  File "multiprocessing\connection.py", line 104, in __init__
  File "multiprocessing\connection.py", line 296, in __init__
WindowsError: [Error 5] Access is denied
Any ideas?
SouthernShred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:23 PM   #2
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
We are missing some information here. Did it EVER work or is this your first time installing and running calibre? It looks like a windows permissions error.
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2011, 06:27 PM   #3
SouthernShred

I've been running calibre for several years, it only stopped working after I updated to 0.8.33...I had been on a 0.7.x version for a while before that without updating...I am running Norton and have the C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2 folder excluded from the scans/realtime protection.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:28 PM   #4
SouthernShred

well, I just got it to run using "Run as administrator"...fun
Old 12-30-2011, 07:13 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernShred View Post
well, I just got it to run using "Run as administrator"...fun
did you happen to install it as administrator instead of just allowing when UAC asked?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
SouthernShred

Possibly...can't remember if I upgraded while using my wife's account or not...I have user policies on everyone in the house except me and my user is granted Admin privileges...I have to authorize all installs
Old 08-15-2014, 12:34 PM   #7
ebilodea
Ignoramus
ebilodea began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2 (5.4.5.1)
I'm having the same error just now. First time it happened to me, I don't think it has to do with any update. I'm also able to open it by running as administrator. Anyone has an idea what could be causing it and if there is another fix than running as administrator?
ebilodea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:40 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Did you try Reinstalling?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:47 AM   #9
ebilodea
Ignoramus

Yes I did and it didn't help. I checked the box "run as administrator" for now and I haven't had issues yet.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:18 AM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@ebilodea - IIRC there are some features that don't work if you run as Admin, but I can't recall precisely what they are.

If you want to get the issue resolved, then run calibre normally and post the complete error block here.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:48 AM   #11
ebilodea
Ignoramus

Ok thanks will do. By error block, you mean a screenshot or copy-paste of the error message that pops up right?
Old 08-22-2014, 05:03 AM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebilodea View Post
Ok thanks will do. By error block, you mean a screenshot or copy-paste of the error message that pops up right?
Post the full error - click Show Details, click Copy to Clipboard and post here - should look something like this

Spoiler:
Code:
calibre, version 2.0.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>IOError</b>:[Errno 13] File is open in another process: u'e:\\calibre libraries\\_main\\fred bloggs\\silly book (4183)\\silly book - fred bloggs.docx'

calibre 2.0  isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.8
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: EpubSplit && Count Pages && Beam Ebooks && Generate Cover && Modify ePub && View Manager && Open With && Quality Check && Walk Search History && Quick Preferences && Resize Cover && Reading List && Favourites Menu && Barnes & Noble && Find Duplicates && Import List && Goodreads && User Category && Extract ISBN && FictionDB
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\single.py", line 272, in accept
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\metadata.py", line 236, in commit
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\legacy.py", line 465, in set_metadata
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 57, in call_func_with_lock
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 1207, in set_metadata
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 1202, in set_field
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 1007, in set_field
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 1405, in windows_check_if_files_in_use
  File "site-packages\calibre\utils\filenames.py", line 370, in __init__
IOError: [Errno 13] File is open in another process: u'e:\\calibre libraries\\_main\\fred bloggs\\silly book (4183)\\silly book - fred bloggs.docx'

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:48 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
and please wrap in [spoiler] tags (red X'd eye on the MR Advanced Reply toolbar)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:54 AM   #14
ebilodea
Ignoramus

Ok so I don't see any "show details" button for that error. All I see when I try to launch the program is this:

I just installed the 2.0 update and it didn't seem to solve the problem either.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:23 AM   #15
ebilodea
Ignoramus

Here's what I get when I use debug in command prompt:

Spoiler:
calibre-debug -g
calibre 1.47 isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Windows-8-6.2.9200 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '8', '6.2.9200')
Python 2.7.5
Windows: ('8', '6.2.9200', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Python function terminated unexpectedly
[Error 5] Access is denied (Error Code: 1)
File "site.py", line 132, in main
File "site.py", line 109, in run_entry_point
File "site-packages\calibre\debug.py", line 216, in main
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 443, in main
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 425, in create_listener
File "multiprocessing\connection.py", line 130, in __init__
File "multiprocessing\connection.py", line 330, in __init__
WindowsError: [Error 5] Access is denied