Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-05-2011, 07:55 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
epub to mobi - losing highlights ?

I have an epub text with code like:
Code:
Hello, my name is <span class="docEmphMark">Ben</span>.
in epub readers, the word Ben is highlighted. ( i've used bold in this post for simplicity )

Hello, my name is Ben.

but when calibre converts to mobi all highlighting is lost

e.g. that line then reads as:
Hello, my name is Ben.

is this a bug, a config issue or a mobi limitation ?

exploding epub & looking at css: docemphmark is defined with background-color: #999
Code:
.docEmphMark {
    background-color: #999
    }
so is that an unsupported mobi function. what could I edit that bit of the CSS to, so that mobi would display as intended ?

Last edited by cybmole; 01-05-2011 at 08:04 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
iirc mobi doesn't support background colors.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
I believe mobi supports background colors, but the Kindle does not. I have a book on programming Regex, and the results of the expression are highlighted; they don't show on the Kindle, but they do on the Kindle app on the iPad.

This caused me great confusion initially, as it appeared that all the regex expressions had no results.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
I believe mobi supports background colors, but the Kindle does not. I have a book on programming Regex, and the results of the expression are highlighted; they don't show on the Kindle, but they do on the Kindle app on the iPad.

This caused me great confusion initially, as it appeared that all the regex expressions had no results.
I think we may be both reading / converting the same book ! It's hard enough trying to learn the language without also having to decipher the conversion errors !

I found it in .chm format & converted it to epub OK, but not to mobi.

NB the background colours did not show up in the internal calibre mobi reader

I have not tried inside of Kindle for PC as I deleted the .mobi conversion once I realised it lacks this feature.

I'll probably just read the epub or the chm version on PC & abandon plans to get it onto my Kindle. - though I'm thinking that if I knew how to use the calibre conversion "more CSS" options box, I could have the words with background colours appear in BOLD instead in the mobi conversion.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:26 PM   #5
cybmole
Wizard

convert chm to mobi & to epub in calibre

chm source has both coloured entries and coloured entires with background highlighing.

when I send calibre output mobi file to Kindle - like the previous poster said it loses all backgrounds AND colours - but if I send calibre output to kindle for PC its fine. ( & he says it's fine in Kindle for ipad also)
calibre mobi reader scores 1 out of 2 - it keeps colours but loses backgrounds
calibre epub reader is good.

thus the mobi spec is OK, but the implementation in some viewers is limited.

Last edited by cybmole; 01-05-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Advert
Old 01-05-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
cybmole
Wizard

same book - new issue - I am losing the em-dahs-en-dash or whatever from this line
"using the – metacharacter"
that is a copy + paste from the CHM. no matter how I do the conversion to epub or to mobi, i end up with this:
"using the metacharacter"

I've tried ticking transliterate, tried cp1252 encoding ....

using view source on the chm i see this
Code:
Character sets may be enumerated explicitly or specified as ranges using the <TT>–</TT> metacharacter
it does not look any different to lots of other dashes which DO convert OK ???

in the output epub .xhtml it is simply missing. all that TT stuff is just not there and I see plain text -

but if I convert to mobi with same settings and send to Kindle then I see a question mark inside a box character, where the dash should be !

Last edited by cybmole; 01-05-2011 at 01:54 PM.