Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-14-2020, 11:04 PM   #1
s2042
s2042 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
PW3 hangs at Tree Screen

I have a Kindle Paperwhite that hangs on the Tree screen. This is a PW3 (SN begins with G090G1), I purchased new in 2015. I've tried the usual 'hold down the reset' per Google search, but didn't help -- tried this many times and held it down for 40+ seconds and up to several minutes.

I ran across these forums on how to unbrick a PW using its serial port. I took the Kindle case apart and connected to its serial port -- using DSD Tech SH-U09C2 USB-TTL adapter (nice adapter with jumper for setting the TTL level to 1.8V). After doing this, I'm able to see the PW (try) to boot up in the serial console. I'm using Putty on Windows 10 laptop, to talk with the PW (for both the serial port and its USB). I'm able to interrupt both u-boot, and later to get the Recovery menu.

I've tried the following, without resolving my issue:

1) downloaded and installed the latest Amazon .bin file, mentioned in several of the forums . Basically, a) reset the Kindle, b) interrupt to get the Recovery menu, c) select option E (Export FAT), d) plug in PW USB to laptop, e) copy .bin file to PW over its USB port, f) select option U (Update bin). This takes several minutes, and appears to successfully install the update. However, afterwards the Kindle still hangs on the Tree screen. I've attached the serial console's messages for here typical_console_output.txt. When it stopped outputting, I hit enter after the console messages stop, and got the Kindle Login prompt.

2) I interrupted u-boot and typed 'bootm 0xE41000' per Part 4 of the 1st link below, to try to enter the diag mode. However, when I do this, the diag menu is never displayed. bootm_0xe41000.txt is the PW's serial console output.

I'm not really sure what to look for in serial output, but didn't see any obvious errors -- (e.g. MMC errors as described in the #2 link below).

Can anyone offer suggestions of what is wrong or what to try next?

thank you!

#1 https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267541
#2 https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ght=Export+FAT

Amazon bin file: update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.12.3.bin
s2042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 12:14 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
1)e.5) remove USB cable after e and before f.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2020, 12:54 PM   #3
WaseemAlkurdi
Zealot
WaseemAlkurdi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch (K5) Wi-Fi x 2, Kindle (7th Gen, KT2), Paperwhite 3rd Gen
In addition to what @knc1 said, does resetting by connecting the "RESET" pins on the exposed board change anything?
WaseemAlkurdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:10 PM   #4
s2042

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
1)e.5) remove USB cable after e and before f.
Hi knc1,

I tried your suggestion, but still no luck. I've attached the entire serial output from Recovery interrupt, option E, (copy .bin to PW then disconnect USB), option U, which installs the bin file, then prints out a lot of garbage characters, then reboots. This console also includes another reboot via reset recovery_E_copy_disconnect_U.txt.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:26 PM   #5
s2042

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaseemAlkurdi View Post
In addition to what @knc1 said, does resetting by connecting the "RESET" pins on the exposed board change anything?
Hi Waseem, I found a pad on the PCB labelled 'RESET', and tried shorting it to some of the surrounding pins, and ground. Nothing happened when I did this. Can you be more specific about what I should connect it to? see the picture

Click image for larger version

Name:	PW3_reset_pin_LI.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	177195

thanks!
Advert
Old 02-17-2020, 02:33 AM   #6
WaseemAlkurdi
Zealot
WaseemAlkurdi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch (K5) Wi-Fi x 2, Kindle (7th Gen, KT2), Paperwhite 3rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2042 View Post
Hi Waseem, I found a pad on the PCB labelled 'RESET', and tried shorting it to some of the surrounding pins, and ground. Nothing happened when I did this. Can you be more specific about what I should connect it to? see the picture

Attachment 177195

thanks!
Try livening it with voltage from the reference battery voltage point (the one labeled TP1207).
The Kindle should hard-reboot.
WaseemAlkurdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:46 PM   #7
s2042

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaseemAlkurdi View Post
Try livening it with voltage from the reference battery voltage point (the one labeled TP1207).
The Kindle should hard-reboot.
I got the hard reboot to work by doing what Waseem suggested (briefly connecting it to TP1207). However, it responds the exact same way as holding down the reset button. And still hangs at the Tree Screen.

Are there any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Tags
pw3 bricked