Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-07-2020, 08:31 AM   #961
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I suppose. Folders at least help users in understanding how their hard drive is organized.

Box Set could do the same, but what's wrong with omnibus? Also, there at least used to be a trend in changing the cover to an image of the spines of the books arranged in a box. I truly hate those.
I still see them. I have no strong feelings. I used to collect nice sets of books, but after many house moves, my books exceeding my shelf space and my shelves exceeding my wall space, I'm happy to slap them on the Kindle and pretend.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:35 AM   #962
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran Seymour View Post
Been a while since we've had a "new" Peter Tremayne novel on offer for free. It'll be of particular interest to H Rider Haggard readers.

The Vengeance of She

amazon.co.uk | amazon.com | amazon.ca | amazon.com.au
Interesting. I missed it but hopefully it will go free again. Onto ereaderiq it goes.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2020, 11:49 AM   #963
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
It's just how we visualise our virtual worlds to look like the previous physical one.
I have never visualized directories as folders or screens as desktops.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:21 PM   #964
BetterRead
Addict
BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Tablet
Collecting issues #1-6, Locke & Key Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft by Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez is currently $0.99 at Amazon US and Comixology. It's also available for free through Prime Reading.

https://www.amazon.com/Locke-Key-Vol...dp/B007KDHKZ8/
https://www.comixology.com/Locke-Key...al-comic/18409

Quote:
Written by Joe Hill and featuring artwork from Gabriel Rodriguez, the Eisner-nominated Locke & Key tells of Keyhouse, an unlikely New England mansion, with fantastic doors that transform all who dare to walk through them... and home to a hate-filled and relentless creature that will not rest until it forces open the most terrible door of them all!
Basis for the new Netflix series. Highly recommended!
BetterRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 04:43 PM   #965
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRead View Post
Collecting issues #1-6, Locke & Key Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft by Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez is currently $0.99 at Amazon US and Comixology. It's also available for free through Prime Reading.

Basis for the new Netflix series. Highly recommended!
Hey, thanks for that. Have you been reading any of the Hill House comics? Overall, they've been very good.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2020, 11:54 AM   #966
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

69 by Tim Meyer is $0.99 at Amazon US.

Okay, I hope the author had a good chuckle while naming his novel.

Quote:
“Everything is sixty-nine.”

It happened suddenly. Overnight. Inside Spring Lakes Assisted Living, seven residents - sixty-nine years of age - died mysterious deaths. Only... they aren’t really dead. Their bodies remain still, their staring eyes void of life; yet their hearts continue to beat, their lungs fight for oxygen, and somewhere within their petrified bodies their souls cling to life.

No one has a rational explanation for what’s happening. Three investigators from the CDC are dispatched to the facility in hopes of finding answers, but what they discover is far beyond human comprehension. Something terrifying has come to town. An unseen entity that leeches off the living, the dead, and everything in between.

69 is a brand new short novel of cosmic horror from Tim Meyer, author of The Switch House and Kill Hill Carnage.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:22 PM   #967
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
^ Got it.

Thank you!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 02:50 PM   #968
BetterRead
Addict
BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Tablet
Quote:
Hey, thanks for that. Have you been reading any of the Hill House comics? Overall, they've been very good.
I read the free preview issue last fall, but I'm going to wait until a story is done before starting on a title. Should be only a few more months until both A Basketful of Heads and The Dollhouse Family are complete.
BetterRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 05:17 PM   #969
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRead View Post
I read the free preview issue last fall, but I'm going to wait until a story is done before starting on a title. Should be only a few more months until both A Basketful of Heads and The Dollhouse Family are complete.
Basketful of Heads has such a silly name, I didn't hold a lot of hope for it. But it is very enjoyable. That and Dollhouse Family are the two best Hill House titles. Daphne Byrne and The Low, Low Woods are also good. Just not as good as the first two, to me.

Joe's about to launch a new miniseries, Plunge with Stuart Immonen, the last(?) Hill House comics series. That sounds so promising. with Joe clearly channeling the '80's take on The Thing.

I know the point of these DC pop-up imprints is to only exist for a short time, but I'd be happy for more out of Hill House.
Old 02-08-2020, 05:21 PM   #970
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

BTW: First episode of Locke and Key? Pretty darn great! A horror series with kids in the lead that I didn't immediately want to turn off.

They changed the name of the town from one great writer, Lovecraft to another, Matheson. A change I'm okay with.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:23 PM   #971
TrevorViking
Wizard
TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Between the good buzz on them, and my love of Hill’s earlier comics, I’m buying them all as they go on sale.
TrevorViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:23 AM   #972
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorViking View Post
Between the good buzz on them, and my love of Hill’s earlier comics, I’m buying them all as they go on sale.
Me as well. I've subscribed to all of them at Comixology.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:48 PM   #973
TrevorViking
Wizard
TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Me as well. I've subscribed to all of them at Comixology.
They’re worth it I’m sure, but I meant sale sale, I never subscribe or pay full price at Comixology. Every single issue is 84 cents if you wait a few months.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:36 AM   #974
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorViking View Post
They’re worth it I’m sure, but I meant sale sale, I never subscribe or pay full price at Comixology. Every single issue is 84 cents if you wait a few months.
True. I subscribe to things I want to reward or to last. Hill House comics is designed as a short-lived concept. The miniseries already going and the upcoming Plunge and I believe it's a wrap. But based on the quality, I'm voting with my dollars to let the publisher know I appreciate this kind of material. I've also subscribed to DC's fantasy/horror miniseries The Last God.

Similarly, I subscribe to any Howard Chaykin miniseries and various other creators I admire and want to support.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:12 PM   #975
TrevorViking
Wizard

Quote:
True. I subscribe to things I want to reward or to last. Hill House comics is designed as a short-lived concept. The miniseries already going and the upcoming Plunge and I believe it's a wrap. But based on the quality, I'm voting with my dollars to let the publisher know I appreciate this kind of material. I've also subscribed to DC's fantasy/horror miniseries The Last God.

Similarly, I subscribe to any Howard Chaykin miniseries and various other creators I admire and want to support.
Yeah, it’s a conundrum sometimes. Does a fan pay full price to ‘support’ the creators, or wait for sales to buy from even more creators? Not sure what is ‘best’ for the industry; but I’ve always gone with bulk. I have $50 a month to spend on reading. Do I support 12 books at full price, or 60 at my 84 cent price? I selfishly want to read at least 60, so plays into my decision I’m sure. If I only wanted to read a handful of titles a month I’d be more apt to just subscribe at a shop or digitally.

Back on topic, on horror comics to recommend, I’m currently slowly reading thru Locke & Key from Hill, and Revival from Image and loving both.