Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-01-2019, 12:08 AM   #886
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by radbaddude View Post
...the larger size of the oasis was intriguing. I traded in a 6th gen paperwhite for the 25% off + $25 deal and giving one of my kids the Clara. I will miss Koreader but I only buy my books from Amazon and it will be nice to have automated sync between my devices. No mess.
Sounds like price was at least part of the consideration. I'm just wondering if the new Kobo Libra was ever considered? The Libra and the Oasis 3 seem comparable, though I haven't seen either in person.

As for me, I just want a 6" screen, but switch back and forth between my Clara (90+% of my reading and the 2015 Nook Glowlight Plus (great when I'm reading around water).

Last edited by ZodWallop; 12-01-2019 at 12:10 AM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 12:09 AM   #887
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In the Valley of the Sun by Andy Davidson is $1.99 at Amazon US.

Quote:
A finalist for the 2017 Bram Stoker Award for Superior Achievement in a First Novel.

Deftly written and utterly addictive, this Western literary horror debut will find a home with fans of authors like Joe Hill, Cormac McCarthy, and Anne Rice.

One night in 1980, a man becomes a monster.

Haunted by his past, Travis Stillwell spends his nights searching out women in West Texas honky-tonks. What he does with them doesn’t make him proud, just quiets the demons for a little while. But after Travis crosses paths one night with a mysterious pale-skinned girl, he wakes weak and bloodied in his cabover camper the next morning—with no sign of a girl, no memory of the night before.

Annabelle Gaskin spies the camper parked behind her motel and offers the cowboy a few odd jobs to pay his board. Travis takes her up on the offer, if only to buy time, to lay low and heal. By day, he mends the old motel, insinuating himself into the lives of Annabelle and her ten-year-old son. By night, in the cave of his camper, he fights an unspeakable hunger. Before long, Annabelle and her boy come to realize that this strange cowboy is not what he seems.

Half a state away, a grizzled Texas Ranger is hunting Travis for his past misdeeds, but what he finds will lead him to a revelation far more monstrous. A man of the law, he’ll have to decide how far into the darkness he’ll go for the sake of justice.

When these lives converge on a dusty autumn night, an old evil will find new life—and new blood.
Advert
Old 12-01-2019, 11:51 AM   #888
radbaddude
Addict
radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Price definitely influenced me. I think I was out $100 to upgrade. I was eyeing the Libra for a while but the discount swayed me to the dark side. I didn't buy anything else for myself this BF so I consider it a win overall (lol).

Everything is Fine Now by Steve Rasnic Tem
Amazon US $0.99 p. 157

In this new collection award-winning horror author Steve Rasnic Tem showcases a variety of ghosts and other creatures aiming to keep you up all night with the lights on. Read about the two best friends chased by a strangely familiar figure. Or the teenager who woke up one morning with fur sprouting from every nook and cranny on his body. Or the fellow from a poor family who has to take care of both his little sister and his crazy mom whose magical powers only make things worse. Or an old man who finally tells his grandson the terrible thing that makes their crops grow. Or the mechanic who keeps his cars running on oil, gasoline, blood, and broken bones. The stories in Everything Is Fine Now range from subtle supernatural tales to the legends you might hear sitting by a campfire. For adults, teenagers, and mature middle-grade readers.
radbaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 12:00 PM   #889
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
I really had no compelling reason to change. I am curious if the Oasis is at all more ergonomic. I have the Clara HD with the official case that flips back vertically. Sometimes my hand complains about holding it so the larger size of the oasis was intriguing. I traded in a 6th gen paperwhite for the 25% off + $25 deal and giving one of my kids the Clara. I will miss Koreader but I only buy my books from Amazon and it will be nice to have automated sync between my devices. No mess.

I like both Kindle and Kobo.

My Kindle Oasis will arrive at my sister's house around Dec. 6th and then when she ships it, it should arrive here in about 2 more months. (Hey, this is Peru we're talking about. I still haven't received my Birthday card, mailed in the middle of October, for my Birthday on Nov. 16!)

Congratulations on your new ebook reader.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:10 PM   #890
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Price definitely influenced me. I think I was out $100 to upgrade. I was eyeing the Libra for a while but the discount swayed me to the dark side. I didn't buy anything else for myself this BF so I consider it a win overall (lol).
I buy all my ebooks from Amazon. It would make all the sense in the world for me to buy a Kindle. But I just like the extras on Kobo better, and even now I occasionally buy a small press or indie book that is terribly formatted or missing table of contents, so I'd still convert and sideload.

One Kindle that's really tempted me to switch was the Voyage. If they ever release a Voyage 2 with Waterproofing and orange light, I'd be sorely tempted.
Advert
Old 12-02-2019, 02:13 PM   #891
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Black Friday by Michael Hodges is $0.99 at Amazon US.

I'm not sure what to make if this one. It sounds promising and the author has written other popular books. But the plot seems to owe a LOT to Dawn of the Dead and The Mist (especially the Mist TV series where they are holed up in a mall).

Quote:
Patricia worships Zoot, CoupFinity, CashReturn, and DealParadise—her favorite shopping apps and websites. Every buzz of her smart phone is a celebration of savings. So Patricia takes a trip to Bridgefield Mall on Black Friday, her face buried in the glow of her smart phone.

While scanning deals at a kitchen appliance store, the fire alarm roars. The horde of shoppers she’d been elbowing stampedes out the exits, leaving Patricia with all the deals to herself.

After securing her items under a cloth-draped table, Patricia decides it’s time to investigate why no one came back. She tries calling her family, but her smart phone won’t work. Not even Twitter.

The mall lights flicker and surge. Bulbs shatter and spray glass into the air. Patricia bolts for the Macy’s exit, the mall quaking under her feet. When she reaches the parking lot, an ominous mist surrounds the mall, and an unseen, crazed man shouts out to her.

Woken from her shopping craze, she realizes there’ll be no deals at Bridgefield Mall today, and no app to save her.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:56 AM   #892
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

The Writhing by Abe Moss is $0.99 at Amazon US.

Quote:
Sometimes the truth is downright haunting.

Alex watches from her bedroom window as the small, secluded town of Amberton sleeps: a bright, pleasant town with a dark, disturbing secret. Helen, her foster mother, is gone all hours of the night with no explanation. The neighbors, always friendly, always smiling, are also always watching. They know something Alex doesn’t. Something she shouldn’t…

When three outsiders become ensnared in the town’s dark conspiracies, Alex witnesses for herself the nightmare hiding in plain sight. Together, haunted by their own pasts, these outsiders threaten to unstitch the town at its rotten seams, uncovering the gruesome truth writhing beneath the surface.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:58 AM   #893
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Hey, that sounds neat:
The Water volume just dropped through my door! Guess what I'm reading next?
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:09 PM   #894
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

The Search for Joseph Tully by William H. Hallahan is $1.99 at Amazon US.

The book is originally from 1974. I have this book in paperback, with the original cover below. But despite the praise, I haven't yet read it.

Quote:
In Brooklyn, in a historic part of that shambled borough, the flailing iron ball of the wrecker’s crane is at work. One of the few buildings still standing amid the rubble is the Brevoort House, older than memory. Its only remaining tenant is Peter Richardson. Abandoned. Menaced. Alone. The Brevoort has become an unbearable burden for him. Houses, like people, can go bad, and the Brevoort emanates an evilness, an undefined terror, aimed directly at him. The house—something in the house—is telling Richardson of his impending death.

In another part of Brooklyn, solicitor Matthew Willow arrives from London seeking a man who may not exist. He has one clue, the name of the wanted man’s ancestor: Joseph Tully. Willow’s search takes him into the fascinating world of the genealogical detective—and uncovers a relentless pursuit and quest for vengeance through centuries of reincarnation . . .
Old 12-08-2019, 02:17 PM   #895
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
^ I remember this book being all over the place 45-odd years ago. I've never read it, either.

He died either last year (2018 Wiki) or this year ( 2019 Amazon info).
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:49 PM   #896
radbaddude
Addict
radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
The Search for Joseph Tully by William H. Hallahan is $1.99 at Amazon US.

The book is originally from 1974. I have this book in paperback, with the original cover below. But despite the praise, I haven't yet read it.
Sounds cool, grabbing. TY

Been stagnant on the deals. Interesting that most on my wishlist are KU books. Currently on a free 3 month trial of KU.

*edit* nevermind, book is not on sale anymore lol!
radbaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:58 PM   #897
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Here's a freebie:

The City by S.C. Mendes is FREE at Amazon US.

This is mentioned as an extreme horror novel. I haven't enjoyed examples by other authors I've read in the past. But hey, it's free. And the story does sound interesting.

Quote:
There is a civilization hidden deep beneath our own; a place spoken of only in whispers.

Chinatown, 1910. The bodies were discovered six months after Max Elliot turned in his badge. All that remained of the victims were piles of flayed skin and organs. The bones of each body had been stolen. This torturous method of execution had only been seen once before by the San Francisco PD, and that case was never closed.

Confident of a connection between that unsolved case and these new grisly murders, the police turn to the one man they believe can help. With the allure of closure to his own personal tragedy, Max Elliot agrees to reinstatement for one last case. However, the clues lead the unstable detective down a path he never could have imagined. A mysterious drug, a world beneath our own, sex and violence on an unprecedented level, and creatures as ancient as sin itself.

Follow Max as he looks for answers in The City. But remember, all knowledge comes at a price.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:31 AM   #898
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^^^^ That one could be too gory for me.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:32 AM   #899
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper

Quote:
Hey, that sounds neat:
I've got Water now. Haven't started reading yet, but anticipation is enormous after the first three books in the series!
Old 12-13-2019, 11:43 AM   #900
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
^^^^ That one could be too gory for me.
Yeah, mostly I don't get 'extreme horror'. It winds up feeling pornographic and doesn't seem to have a point. It reminds me of back when Alan Moore and Frank Miller wrote grim, gritty adult comics that were praised, but then a bunch of goofballs missed what made those comics stand out and soon every comic was Xtreme. It was a disaster.

In this case, the story sounded promising and the book was cheap. Hopefully I don't regret it.