Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
2 prices for the same Kindle Edition of an ebook?

I've been waiting patiently for Ghost Story by Jim Butcher to come down in price. I checked my recommendations page on my Amazon account and saw that the Kindle Edition is now $14.99, but when I clicked on the book to purchase it the price was changed to $18.51 which is what it has been for a while now.

Does anyone know why the price would be so different from the recommendations page and the buy page?
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
andreabc
Zealot
andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (4th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
Does anyone know why the price would be so different from the recommendations page and the buy page?
$14.99 is the price for buyers in the US. (I guess sometimes the recommendation pages show the US prices...)
$18.51 is the price for Canadian users.
andreabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabc View Post
$14.99 is the price for buyers in the US. (I guess sometimes the recommendation pages show the US prices...)
$18.51 is the price for Canadian users.
oh, ok thank you.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Use a ISP blocker and and American Address. Save yourself the money.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #5
sucah
Connoisseur
sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, KT 3G, KPW, Odyssey HD, T1, 350, Glo, Mini, Aura HD, KPW2 3G
In my experience, no need for ISP blocker, just use account with US valid address. Or you can add US valid address to your account and change country setting to US under Manage Your Kindle.
sucah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #6
Mayr
Connoisseur
Mayr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 3Gs
So we could use a macdonalds address for example?
But what about when you have to pay for the book? If you use a non US credit card will Amazon authorize the sell? Or will it say you can't pay with a outside US card?
Mayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:11 PM   #7
hellraiser06
Yaabbaa dabba doo
hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Touch wifi, Kindle 3 Wifi, Asus Transformer TF101
If you just change the address to an us address and use a non us credit card, you will receive a warning after buying a couple of books. They all you to call them so they can verify that you are an American. I know this because I am in India and I used to do this..buy an ebook from Amazon using a fictitious pizza hut address in Indiana... I could not buy more than 4 or 5 books before they won't let me..then I would ask my American girlfriend to buy me a book on my account from us..this unblocked my account for another 4 or 5 books... Rinse and repeat...lol.... If I show them I am Indian, I have to pay them 2 dollars extra for every book I buy from them.....so yeah use isp blocker...I have an option of my girlfriend so I don't use it but it might work for you...good luck...
hellraiser06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:45 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Or get someone from the US to gift it to you.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:59 PM   #9
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Or buy a kindle gift card from Amazon.com following suggestions in post 5, and this one purchase will allow subsequent purchases when you find other books you want without re-using the credit card.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:41 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Or get someone from the US to gift it to you.
You can't give eBooks as gifts to someone in another country.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #11
andreabc
Zealot
andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You can't give eBooks as gifts to someone in another country.
Yes, you can - as long as that exact edition is for sale in the recepient's country (even if it's more expensive).
Old 05-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
But the point here is that it isn't. The Canadian and US editions, as is normal, have different publishers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #13
andreabc
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But the point here is that it isn't. The Canadian and US editions, as is normal, have different publishers.
The book mentioned by the OP is the same edition in the US and Canada, as is the case for many other books - not all of them, of course.

It's probably more common for it to be "normal" in the UK to have different publishers, but it's normal in other international stores (definitely in many non-English speaking regions) to see US editions available.

Last edited by andreabc; 05-21-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:23 PM   #14
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
There are a tonne of workarounds to having a US Amazon account while living full time in Canada. But the simplest is to create the account with any valid US address, and then buy yourself an Amazon gift card (make sure it's an Amazon US gift card, not an Amazon.ca one!) Apply the gift card to your US account, and when it starts to get low, buy another one. Rinse, repeat.

If you ever physically go to the US, set up an account with one of the mailbox destinations in a border town and actually have something shipped there from Amazon. You'll never get questioned again. (Since I regularly go to the US for work, we often have stuff shipped to our PonyExpress box in Redmond. I have never had Amazon question a purchase for my Kindle. And I do not use any IP address masking for buying eBooks.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #15
wl.
Enthusiast
wl. shares his or her toyswl. shares his or her toyswl. shares his or her toyswl. shares his or her toyswl. shares his or her toyswl. shares his or her toyswl. shares his or her toyswl. shares his or her toyswl. shares his or her toyswl. shares his or her toyswl. shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Touch, Sony PRS-505
hmm... if you search the ways to cheat amazon, why don't download a books for free? torrents for example?
wl. is offline   Reply With Quote