Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-06-2018, 02:07 PM   #361
sirdave
sirdave began at the beginning.

Device: original Kindle, Kindle DX, Keyboard Kindle, Voyager, Oasis1
I am really impressed with the battery life of my Oasis 1. I'm surprised that Amazon didn't offer an optional charging cover for the Oasis 2 with the improvement that the cover and main unit could be charged separately.
sirdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:37 PM   #362
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdave View Post
I am really impressed with the battery life of my Oasis 1. I'm surprised that Amazon didn't offer an optional charging cover for the Oasis 2 with the improvement that the cover and main unit could be charged separately.

I agree. A charging cover would be great for the new Oasis especially since its so expensive to begin with
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2018, 08:41 PM   #363
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel1626 View Post
You just convinced me to add DODO to my reading list. I love Neal Stephenson anyway, though I have yet to read his entire oeuvre.

By the way, if you like quirky, geeky humor, you should try Charles Stross. His Laundry Files series is quite good, and his standalone novels never fail to deliver.

I totally agree with you regarding ACC, and I'll definitely check out this Black Holes film.

DODO is quite fun. I am trying to resist the urge to post spoilers. I placed your book recommendation on my kindle wish list. I just purchased a collection of classics for 49 cents and it is 22,000 pages long according to amazon description LOL

Last edited by HLS; 04-06-2018 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:33 AM   #364
HLS
Wizard

I find that once you find a light level you can stick with it helps with battery life for you are not adjusting as much. My battery is down to 55% in 7 days instead of 4 or 5 days.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:58 AM   #365
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I find that once you find a light level you can stick with it helps with battery life for you are not adjusting as much. My battery is down to 55% in 7 days instead of 4 or 5 days.
That's good ! I'm doing the opposite with adjusting the light more for reading on cloudy days. I can do 11 at night, but daytime I have to up the level to compensate for lack of sun. Although we're getting more sun next week, hopefully that will let me keep the light off all together outside.

Or I'll just use my Voyage outside, the battery on that is much better no matter the light setting.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2018, 08:56 AM   #366
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
That's good ! I'm doing the opposite with adjusting the light more for reading on cloudy days. I can do 11 at night, but daytime I have to up the level to compensate for lack of sun. Although we're getting more sun next week, hopefully that will let me keep the light off all together outside.

Or I'll just use my Voyage outside, the battery on that is much better no matter the light setting.
I wish there was a way to completely hide the battery status bar so I would not obsess over it. I know it disappears when a book is open but I want it gone from home screen as well. I obsess over it to the point its ridiculous.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:16 AM   #367
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I wish there was a way to completely hide the battery status bar so I would not obsess over it. I know it disappears when a book is open but I want it gone from home screen as well. I obsess over it to the point its ridiculous.
I find turning off the percentage helps. Whichever way one cuts though, the battery life is disappointing compared to previous Kindles, though in every other respect this is by far the best Kindle ever for me.
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:55 AM   #368
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I think I'll use my Oasis 2 as my outside reader now. I can leave the light off, so that will really improve the battery life. At least on sunny days.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:44 PM   #369
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopper View Post
I find turning off the percentage helps. Whichever way one cuts though, the battery life is disappointing compared to previous Kindles, though in every other respect this is by far the best Kindle ever for me.
I do that but the temptation makes me switch over and look lol
Old 08-15-2018, 07:24 PM   #370
HLS
Wizard

I sold my grey one and I bought the Champagne Gold and has terrible battery life. It got really bad since I took the 5.9.7 update. Could an update change battery life like this? It looses 10% a day with screen off, not in use. I seen 20% to 50% battery drain in 1 day of average reading without downloads. And I do use Airplane mode unless I need to sync devices
Old 08-15-2018, 07:57 PM   #371
cmoim
Enthusiast
cmoim began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage , Kindle Oasis 2 , Kobo Aura Edition 2
Quote:
I sold my grey one and I bought the Champagne Gold and has terrible battery life. It got really bad since I took the 5.9.7 update. Could an update change battery life like this? It looses 10% a day with screen off, not in use. I seen 20% to 50% battery drain in 1 day of average reading without downloads. And I do use Airplane mode unless I need to sync devices
My Kindle Oasis 2 is working fine with the 5.9.7 update, loses 1-2% battery per day which is normal. I got used to this, it is 1% battery loss in my Voyage.

Maybe you should try to reset your device hope this would fix this issue.
cmoim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:08 AM   #372
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoim View Post
My Kindle Oasis 2 is working fine with the 5.9.7 update, loses 1-2% battery per day which is normal. I got used to this, it is 1% battery loss in my Voyage.

Maybe you should try to reset your device hope this would fix this issue.
The real problem is in the measurement scale used by ereader manufacturers. They use "weeks and months" but define that in terms of 30 minutes per day which is ridiculous and leads to absurd expectations and issues like this. If you read for a lot of hours per day, you're going to have to recharge your device more often. Dude, it's physics.

The proper measurement is that which all other device manufacturers use: hours.

My PaperWhite 1 & Nook Simple Touch used to last about 24 hours. Each new product introduction seems to have decreased that number such that my Voyage gets about 20-22 hours, my Aura One around 18 hours and my Oasis 2 about 16 hours.

By using nonsensical metrics, ereader manufacturers have insulated themselves from playing the battery-life game that other devices face. It's actually a very smart strategy if you don't give a crap about your users.
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:28 PM   #373
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readirect View Post
The real problem is in the measurement scale used by ereader manufacturers. ...
No the real problem in this case is the battery drain that Kcladyz experiences, without actually doing much reading. I believe she would be ecstatic if she could get 16 hours of actual reading time in. That is not even close to how she describes it.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:56 PM   #374
cmoim
Enthusiast
cmoim began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage , Kindle Oasis 2 , Kobo Aura Edition 2
Although of the battery life of the Oasis isn't that great i have to stay it has fast charge or at least it is much faster in charging than my Kindle Voyage.
cmoim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:29 PM   #375
nikkisharif
nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I haven’t used my Oasis much this week (reading a physical book), but the battery seems to be just fine. I’ve only used it for a couple hours in the past 7 days & it’s currently at 86% battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
nikkisharif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery life, koa2