Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-07-2014, 08:25 PM   #1
Hattie
Enthusiast
Hattie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Hattie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Hattie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Hattie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Hattie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Hattie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Hattie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Hattie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Hattie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Hattie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Hattie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: many
Epub to Docx conversion?

Hello all,

After searching the forum, I found lots of entries on how to convert the doc format to epub. However, is it possible to convert an epub to docx? If not in Calibre, then in another program?

Thank you!
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:45 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Hattie - nearest I know of is to convert an EPUB to RTF in calibre, and then convert (Save As) the RTF to DOCX in Word (and probably Writer, available in Open, Libre or Apache Office)

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2014, 08:55 PM   #3
Hattie
Enthusiast
Hattie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Hattie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Hattie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Hattie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Hattie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Hattie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Hattie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Hattie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Hattie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Hattie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Hattie once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

That seems to be working for me. Thank you, BetterRed!

Hattie
Old 09-07-2014, 09:07 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
That seems to be working for me. Thank you, BetterRed!

Hattie
Don't go ePub > RTF. There's a bug in the RTF conversion that loses section breaks if they are blank space.

What you should do is go ePub > HTMLZ, Unzip the HTMLZ file and lad the HTML. That will work better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #5
Hattie
Enthusiast

I appreciate the reply, JSWolf! How do you unzip an HTMLZ file?

Thank you!
Hattie
Advert
Old 09-07-2014, 09:46 PM   #6
Hattie
Enthusiast

JSWolf, I should have mentioned I'm on a Mac. Thanks!
Old 09-07-2014, 10:48 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Rename the HTMLZ file to .ZIP and see if that works.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:55 PM   #8
Hattie
Enthusiast

That worked, JSWolf! Thanks for your patience & help!

Hattie
Old 09-07-2014, 10:58 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
That worked, JSWolf! Thanks for your patience & help!

Hattie
Happy to help. If the RTF conversion didn't have the section break bug, I'd never have tried HTMLZ as there would have been no need to. But I'm glad it's now working for you.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:26 AM   #10
Arkadian
Connoisseur
Arkadian began at the beginning.

Pardon the stupid question... but what do you do with the html file?
Arkadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:50 AM   #11
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
However, is it possible to convert an epub to docx? If not in Calibre, then in another program?
If you use Microsoft Word, Toxaris's "ePub Tools" recently had an update which allows EPUB import:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=213372
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:25 AM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
If you use Microsoft Word, Toxaris's "ePub Tools" recently had an update which allows EPUB import:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=213372
Tex2002ans - This definitely maybe the best solution

@Akadian - I think you need to unpack the 'ex HTMLZ ZIP' to a folder and open the .HTML file therein in Word or Writer.

I've never run into the CSS section break Jon mentions.

The HTML is often better than the the RTF in there wont be all those pesky newline, space, tab sequences at the beginning of every paragraph, but at the same time there are often weird indent variations that are 'harder' to spot. I reduce everything to barebones so it makes little difference where I start.

But the new feature in Toxaris' EPUB Tools looks the way to go, there are lot of interesting features in his 'product'. Here is the online manual ==>> ePUB Tools

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:34 AM   #13
Arkadian
Connoisseur
Arkadian began at the beginning.

Oh, I see, thanks... so it is what I thought... in my case it is probably simpler to recreate the layout from scratch as it is not that difficult (LO permitting )
Arkadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:35 PM   #14
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Don't go ePub > RTF. There's a bug in the RTF conversion that loses section breaks if they are blank space.
I also found that with a Calibre EPUB -> RTF conversion, blockquotes, and Heading information is lost as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What you should do is go ePub > HTMLZ, Unzip the HTMLZ file and lad the HTML. That will work better.
Wow, this is fantastic, where were you a few months back? I was looking for better import into LibreOffice (a client wanted DOCs for copyediting), and this method looks like it works fantastically.

Before, I was Copying/Pasting from Sigil Book View -> LibreOffice (which surprisingly worked WAY better than Copying/Pasting into Microsoft Word). The ODT/DOCX turned out "ok", but nothing that spectacular, and had its own set of bugs (especially with spacing around italic words). But it was "ok" enough to copyedit. I would be stripping out all the trash anyway and only working on the raw text changes once I got the DOC(X) back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
But the new feature in Toxaris' EPUB Tools looks the way to go, there are lot of interesting features in his 'product'.
Indeed, I didn't have much time to test the new EPUB Import looked quite solid from a quick conversion, I will have more in-depth testing later this month. Also, that new bracket/parenthesis mismatch checking, AMAZING (just as I imagined it when I recommended it as an addition).
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:12 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Wow, this is fantastic, where were you a few months back? I was looking for better import into LibreOffice (a client wanted DOCs for copyediting), and this method looks like it works fantastically.
Depending when it was, I might have been on a cruise. But, at least your issue is solved now. You can either go HTMLZ or import the ePub (if the source is ePub).