Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-02-2017, 10:42 AM   #1
vM7iKtMlq9uWBBAK
vM7iKtMlq9uWBBAK began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Connecting to PC says corrupted, but reader still functions

Issue is solved. Thanks for helping me out everyone!

Hi there,

I'm having the following problem with my Kobo Glo HD. When I connect it to my PC through micro-USB, I get either of the following errors:

- Disk is in need of repair (auto-fix does can not fix it). If I do not do auto-fix I can open the disk, but any I/O results in errors.
- The device malfunctioned and Windows doesn't recognize it. This can be because the 'port request' failed or because some other thing in device manager says that it failed.

The odd thing is though, that my reader works fine except for connecting to PC. I've tried other cables, other ports on my pc, another PC.
When I connect the Kobo Glo HD to my Raspberry Pi and SSH into it, I can read the filesystem without any problems. 'fsck' says the 'dirty bit' is set and if I repair that, windows recognizes the device for a few seconds before stating that the device malfunctioned. Another thing I noticed was that any port I've tried the Kobo Glo HD on and resulted in a malfunction, will keep producing malfunction errors even when I hook up a normal device (xbox controller, USB stick etc.)

When I connected the Kobo Glo HD to the Raspberry Pi, I made disk image (dd if=/dev/sdb of=disk.img) and that image is readable without problems. (Filesystem format is vFAT/FAT32)

Is there any way I can try to fix this?

Reset through pinhole didn't help, factory reset didn't help either and desperate screaming was as helpful as nothing. The problems started probably some months ago when I used a cable that was too loose and caused disconnects (not safely ejected). The first time months ago, a factory reset helped solve this. Now I'm using good and solid usb cables to prevent this from ever happening (haven't used the loose one since then - threw it away).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by vM7iKtMlq9uWBBAK; 04-04-2017 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Issue solved.
vM7iKtMlq9uWBBAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:56 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
What version of Windows on your PC?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 03:05 PM   #3
vM7iKtMlq9uWBBAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
What version of Windows on your PC?
Windows 10 Pro x64
Version: 1607
OS build: 14393.953

Kobo Glo HD:
Update from March 8th, 2017
Software version: 4.3.8945

(and for some reason, everytime I power on the kobo, it gives a pop-up of all the new features and tries to get me to take a tour )

Thanks for helping me out!

Last edited by vM7iKtMlq9uWBBAK; 04-02-2017 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:00 PM   #4
kido.resuri
Groupie
kido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
It seems that the SD became read only somehow.
How old is your device?
kido.resuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:41 PM   #5
vM7iKtMlq9uWBBAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kido.resuri View Post
It seems that the SD became read only somehow.
How old is your device?
My device is a little over a year old now.

The SD card is still writable. If I hook it up to the Raspberry Pi I can transfer files from PC to Raspberrry Pi and then from Raspberry Pi to Kobo.

Thanks for trying to help me out!
Old 04-02-2017, 04:49 PM   #6
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by vM7iKtMlq9uWBBAK View Post
The SD card is still writable. If I hook it up to the Raspberry Pi I can transfer files from PC to Raspberrry Pi and then from Raspberry Pi to Kobo.
It might still be theoretically still writable, but this:

Quote:
(and for some reason, everytime I power on the kobo, it gives a pop-up of all the new features and tries to get me to take a tour )
suggests that the device is having a problem writing to the card. It should be writing a flag to memory that you have already done the tour and that the offer shouldn't show up again. I might try writing a new firmware image to the card and see if that solves it (maybe even try a new SD card).
I'd also wonder if something hasn't been fried/damaged on the device if plugging it in to the computer USB causes it to crash -- although this could be a software problem from the device too I guess.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:54 PM   #7
kido.resuri
Groupie
kido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Try this: write some file to the SD card, then reboot the device, and see if it still there. If not, it is read-only, and you probably wrote the file to a temp device in the memory.
If this is the case, you could do what robko suggested, try a new SD card.
kido.resuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:04 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
suggests that the device is having a problem writing to the card. It should be writing a flag to memory that you have already done the tour and that the offer shouldn't show up again.
No, that's a bug in the recent firmware with the new home screen. The new features are displayed at each restart. Very annoying, except that I don't restart very often.
Quote:
I might try writing a new firmware image to the card and see if that solves it (maybe even try a new SD card).
I'd also wonder if something hasn't been fried/damaged on the device if plugging it in to the computer USB causes it to crash -- although this could be a software problem from the device too I guess.
The imaging might work, or it could need a new SD card. It could also be one of the updates in Win10. Checking with another Windows machine might be a useful test.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:59 PM   #9
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
No, that's a bug in the recent firmware with the new home screen. The new features are displayed at each restart. Very annoying, except that I don't restart very often.
I took the OP as meaning the full "tour" was coming up. With the new homescreen you get the "reminder" page, but not the full tour (at least I haven't).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:32 AM   #10
Byron4120
Enthusiast
Byron4120 began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO Touch
Win 10 1607 - about the version you have was faulty in dealing with a bunch of devices mounted vis USB --- Update your OS -- You can wait to April 11 for release update -- Or join the insiders program and get the final release now ( release 1703 version 15063.11)
Byron4120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:07 AM   #11
vM7iKtMlq9uWBBAK

Thank you all for replying!

I'll try to get the new build and see if that improves the problems. If that doesn't work I'll try to replace the SD card.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:27 PM   #12
vM7iKtMlq9uWBBAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron4120 View Post
Win 10 1607 - about the version you have was faulty in dealing with a bunch of devices mounted vis USB --- Update your OS -- You can wait to April 11 for release update -- Or join the insiders program and get the final release now ( release 1703 version 15063.11)
I've joined the insiders program but can't seem to find my way around to getting the update. I guess I'll wait the 7 days until the update.

I've tried it on a friend's Windows 7 laptop and my e-reader connects without problems and gets read directly by Calibre without any issues. My bet is on W10 being faulty and my e-reader functioning normal.

Thanks for helping me out with this one!
Old 04-05-2017, 11:03 AM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I've joined the insiders program but can't seem to find my way around to getting the update. I guess I'll wait the 7 days until the update.

I've tried it on a friend's Windows 7 laptop and my e-reader connects without problems and gets read directly by Calibre without any issues. My bet is on W10 being faulty and my e-reader functioning normal.

Thanks for helping me out with this one!
One possibility is if you are connecting to a USB 3.0 port. I've seen several issues with Windows 10 when using a USB 2.0 device connected to a USB 3.0 port. One quick and dirty test is to use a USB 2.0 hub and plug your device into the hub.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:13 PM   #14
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
This issue happens to me too on Ubuntu 16.10. Dmesg says error reading host bit, and then the usb port doesn't​ work until a reboot. I am using a usb 3 port as well.

Sent from my XT1527 using Tapatalk
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:08 AM   #15
vM7iKtMlq9uWBBAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
One possibility is if you are connecting to a USB 3.0 port. I've seen several issues with Windows 10 when using a USB 2.0 device connected to a USB 3.0 port. One quick and dirty test is to use a USB 2.0 hub and plug your device into the hub.
I didn't think of this because I did connect my device to a USB2.0 port, but I build the PC myself and remember that the frontside bus has a cable for 3.0 and for 2.0, where all four ports are connected (in case your motherboard wouldn't have usb3). Perhaps usb2.0 is also malfunctioning because it is hooked up through usb3.0.

I'll have to search around for a hub but I find this really interesting to see if this would actually work. Thanks for your help!

Tags
corrupt, malfunction, windows