Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-22-2024, 02:04 AM   #1
shyhermit
Connoisseur
shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: none
How to completely hide preloaded ebooks from Kobo?

The new Kobo Clara and Libra (like the older models) comes with a bunch of preloaded ebooks.

In the main menu, I can restrict to see only my books to easily filter those books out under the Books tab. However, is there a way to filter those preloaded ebooks from the Authors and Series tabs as well?

I thought about permanently deleting those books. But the hack previously described in this forum involves tricky bits of sqlite db editing.
shyhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 02:25 AM   #2
DJUNGELSKOG
DJUNGELSKOG doesn't litterDJUNGELSKOG doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW5/Libra 2
That’s exactly what I did, I deleted these books from the DB with a query.
DJUNGELSKOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2024, 02:33 AM   #3
shyhermit
Connoisseur
shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Trying to see if there is a less drastic solution. Perhaps there is switch in the preference config or a command function to run inside NickelMenu that can just "hide" them without actually deleting them. This way it is easily reversible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJUNGELSKOG View Post
That’s exactly what I did, I deleted these books from the DB with a query.
Old 05-22-2024, 03:25 AM   #4
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
What books did you get? My Libra 2 didn't come with any preloaded books. I've yet to figure out why some devices come with built-in books and others don't.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 03:50 AM   #5
shyhermit
Connoisseur

There were a few dozens. Some were commercial previews, some were public domain full text. They were also multilingual. Different subjects. No idea why these were chosen. The problem is that these preloaded books pollute the Authors and Series tabs and can't be easily separated. Therefore, I am looking for a simple way to "hide" them but do not want to resort to use the nuclear option of directly editing the sql db just to delete them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
What books did you get? My Libra 2 didn't come with any preloaded books. I've yet to figure out why some devices come with built-in books and others don't.

Last edited by shyhermit; 05-22-2024 at 03:54 AM.
Advert
Old 05-22-2024, 05:08 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Connect the Kobo to the computer with calibre running. Then you should be able to delete the books/previews you don't want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 08:07 AM   #7
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1
IIRC for Calibre to list those previews and stuff you fist need to change a setting somewhere in Kobo driver settings.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 11:25 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
IIRC for Calibre to list those previews and stuff you fist need to change a setting somewhere in Kobo driver settings.
In the KoboTouchExtended driver, it's in the Metadata, on device & advanced tab. Under Show as on device you want to check Show archived books and Show previews.

That's my guess if settings need to be changed.
Old 05-22-2024, 11:42 AM   #9
shyhermit
Connoisseur

I don't use Calibre. Any non-Calibre solution? Also, is there a "reversible" solution so that in case I want those books back that they are not permanently deleted? That was why I was asking a way to just "hide" them.
Old 05-22-2024, 12:06 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyhermit View Post
I don't use Calibre. Any non-Calibre solution? Also, is there a "reversible" solution so that in case I want those books back that they are not permanently deleted? That was why I was asking a way to just "hide" them.
I don't think you can hide them. I think the best you can do is to move them off of your Kobo to your computer.
Old 05-22-2024, 12:39 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Maybe try Kobo Desktop? It has the ability to show books on the device.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 04:03 PM   #12
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Where are the books stored? Presumably you could connect over USB and move them to your PC.
Old 05-22-2024, 04:17 PM   #13
shyhermit
Connoisseur

I thought about that too. The problem is that once they are moved I still need to edit the sql database to remove their references otherwise there will be errors on the menu screen as Kobo thinks that the books still exist. This creates more problems than it solves. I have always sideloaded quite a number of my own books to the Libra. So editing the database will be risky as I do not want to corrupt my own collection.

Quote:
Where are the books stored? Presumably you could connect over USB and move them to your PC.
Old 05-22-2024, 05:15 PM   #14
Aleron Ives
Wizard

You don't have the option to delete the preloaded books from the My Books menu? You could copy them to the PC and then delete them locally on the device, rather than moving them.
Old 05-22-2024, 07:05 PM   #15
shyhermit
Connoisseur

Though I can't be certain, I presume all of the preloaded books are DRM protected using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) platform.

Merely copying them to the PC will not back them up due to DRM. Deleting them from My Books menu will mean permanent deletion, with no way to recover them which is not what I want.

I read from some very old threads that some users have successfully backed up their SQL database and the directories with the books to save them. However, this technique is based on very old firmware running on old devices. I am not confident enough to try them out on my device, especially when I have already sideloaded a lot of my own books. The database may get corrupted during the modification.

Quote:
You don't have the option to delete the preloaded books from the My Books menu? You could copy them to the PC and then delete them locally on the device, rather than moving them.