Notices

Old 02-13-2011, 11:34 AM   #1
schuster
Zealot
schuster doesn't litterschuster doesn't litter

Device: prs-650 / prs-350 /kindle 3
how to search for wrong entrys?

hi,
i look for a workaround for a search of wrong entrie's that appears in the metadata fields with a red backround.

as an example:

i had an invalid isbn or
the title sort is wrong

is there any chance to search for?

schuster
schuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, there's no way.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by schuster View Post
hi,
i look for a workaround for a search of wrong entrie's that appears in the metadata fields with a red backround.

as an example:

i had an invalid isbn or
the title sort is wrong

schuster
Nice question (one I was to ask )
I did note that making a EPUB 'Catalog' found some mis-matched authors the hard way (A candidate for another 'Library maintenance tool?)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
schuster
Zealot

thanx for your answers.

if anyone can make this plug-in it would be great!
by myself i don't know about this programming things.

@kovid
is it possible to search for wrong entries in any way, maybe with a plug-in?
is there a flag in the main database or will it generated (the red backround) at runtime then i open the metadata site?

schuster
Old 02-14-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
is it possible to search for wrong entries in any way, maybe with a plug-in?
is there a flag in the main database or will it generated (the red backround) at runtime then i open the metadata site?
If you want to compare your data to the data on an external metadata site - there's no way currently to do that. A plugin is possible, but I don't think it would be useful, External metadata sites have very bad metadata. It's good as a starting point, but almost all of my books with excellent metadata will fail to match some piece of metadata from the external sites.

However, if your definition of "bad metadata," includes missing metadata, it's easy to find that.
Code:
cover:false
will find missing covers.
Similar searches will find empty descriptions, authors marked "Unknown," misspelled words, etc.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2011, 05:53 AM   #6
schuster
Zealot

hy starson,
no, i will not compare my metadata with external sites.
but i don't know where the bad metadata is in my database to correct them.
only when i open the metadata entry fields in calibre i know, it is right or not (then i can see the red backround in the entry fields).
for a few books it will be possible, for the whole database content it is a work over weeks to do this.

edit:

cover:false

will find missing covers.
Similar searches will find empty descriptions, authors marked "Unknown," misspelled words, etc.

and now i will find all of the covers that are not trim correctly. it is not possible.
or a search for covers that are to small to give me a nice view.

or:
title: Freundinnen
title_sort: Freundinen

title sort will marked red, i have to edit by hand. but where is the entry in the database?
the thing is that i don't know which entry is the correct one, so correction is a handjob!

Last edited by schuster; 02-15-2011 at 06:05 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:23 AM   #7
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
So, basically you're complaining that Calibre doesn't know in advance what you want?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:36 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
So, basically you're complaining that Calibre doesn't know in advance what you want?
No he was hoping there was a way to search for every place that would show as a red background when the metadata window was opened. Since Kovid says it isn't possible to search for this in the database it would seem that this is not a stored value that the red background is generated on the fly when the window is opened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Quote:

as an example:

i had an invalid isbn or
the title sort is wrong

No, there's no way.
He was also hoping for a feature that allowed him to be able to search for any covers smaller than ie 200x300. Or find covers calibre recognizes as being able to be trimmed.

All of the above is reasonable, would require a lot of overhead, could be coded, but currently is not available in calibre's feature set.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:38 AM   #9
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
I didn't see any sign of complaining? I thought the OP had a perfectly reasonable question - rather than opening each book in the edit metadata dialog to see if it had invalid fields if they could find those in some other way be it a search or some hidden menu option. To which Kovid has said the answer is no, but I agree it could be done as a plugin.

We would just need to come up with the validation rules that people would like the plugin to check. There is no intent as the OP has said to automatically fix the problems given not knowing the right answer. Just a way to bulk filter the library in some way so they knew which rows were wrong and could work through them. Not dissimilar in a way to the duplicate checking plugin we have been discussing. Expanding on those rules over time such as minimum size covers etc sounds a cool idea for those of us who get finnicky about such things.

If that sounds of interest, chuck a post in the plugin ideas sticky thread with some ideas of the rules you would like to see.

[Edit] Sigh - 2 mins behind Dwanthy in hitting Save for the second time today. I'll go back to my coding
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
or:
title: Freundinnen
title_sort: Freundinen

title sort will marked red, i have to edit by hand. but where is the entry in the database?
the thing is that i don't know which entry is the correct one, so correction is a handjob!
While not perfect, Opening the Tag Browser and using Eyeball Mk I to look for names 'way out' of place will help

With the Red in:
Title sort and Author Sort, there are 'speed' buttons to assist in (standard rule) fill in.

For a Red ISBN: I resorted to trial and error when the check digit is all that is missing (for ISBN-10 the range is 0-9 and X)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote