Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-22-2010, 05:57 AM   #1
georg3200
Connoisseur
georg3200 began at the beginning.

Device: none
iBooks: pictures do not show in tables

We have produced some epubs for our customers. Some of them contain short stories with a picture and a text of/about the author at the end.
The picture is at the left and right of it there is the text about the author.
We have put the picture and the text in a table, so that the text does not flow around the picture if you use a bigger font.

This works fine in ADE and on Sony-Readers, but on an iPad (in iBooks) the pictures in tables are not visible.
We tried older epubs with pictures in tables and we had only white space instead of pictures

Of course we can use something like blocks for that simple layout, but we have a lot of older epubs out there, where we can not change the layout.

Does someone has the same problem? Is there a solution? Or do we have to wait until Apple is conform with the standard?

Thanks
georg3200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:02 PM   #2
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
Use CSS: the float:left setting, and proper margins, will work for what you're trying to do in iBooks.

As for waiting for Apple to support standards, remember that the purpose of any large corporation is first: profit, second: control, third: profit. How can they profit if they allow anyone to play? Playing fair doesn't fit the sociopathic mindset of these Masters-of-the-Universe types.

Yes, I just spent three days trying to get iBooks to break pages where I want and to show images in the background. It's retarded, and it's retarded on purpose. They've basically collapsed everything to inline, and table support is gacked.

There is no absolute positioning, there is no layering, there is no page-breaking (except on file-splits), and there is no font-choice. Basically, All Your Design Is Belong To Us.

F* Apple.
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2010, 12:46 AM   #3
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Has any found an easier work around yet?
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:55 AM   #4
shoshin
shoshin is on a distinguished road

Device: sony PRS-505, iPad with iBooks/Stanza, Kindle
Have the same problem as georg3200, but i can't use the suggested workaround!

I have to build ordered lists via tables. The reason for doing so is the fact that lists can be counted by 1., 2.,... or IV. or 1.a.3 or whatever you can image (paragraph nummeration in law sucks). So a table is necessary and cannot be replaced by an OL.
If I want to place an image in the text column the image doesn't show up in iBooks.

Any ideas how the problem can be solved?

Thanks a lot for any help!
And Hello to the board!

cheers, shoshin

Last edited by shoshin; 12-20-2010 at 06:15 AM.
shoshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:40 AM   #5
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

See capidamonte's post #2. No pics in tables in the iBooks mate. you need to think outside the square.
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 06:43 AM   #6
wannabee
Media Bloke

One other thing crossed my mind. You could do a small table, one row even then a pic then another table.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:21 AM   #7
shoshin

hey wannabee,

thanks for the fast reply.
Same idea crossed my mind too. I don't like the idea of building small, fragmented tables only because Apple is not able to show image inside tables.
I don't see any problem to implement it.

edit: well, tested it with splitted tables. It works as expected, but still this kind of solution sucks.
Off-topic: why is there no reference implementation of epub out there which supports the complete ePub specification?!

Last edited by shoshin; 12-20-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:03 PM   #8
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
The problem is not a reference implementation of the specification, the problem is that Apple deliberately defies standard to keep control. There are, at least I heard, better programs for the iPad which follow the ePub specs better than iBooks.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:07 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Bluefire Reader is one you should try for the iPad. It's uses ADE so if it works on your computer with ADE, it will work on the iPad with Bluefire Reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:20 AM   #10
shoshin

hey folks,

I still got the problem that images within tables don't show up under iBooks...

Maybe it would work with the Bluefire Reader, JSWolf mentioned, it's not the solution. I have to develop an ePUb based E-Book that works on ADE and iBooks as well...

Anyone out there, with the same problem? Any ideas or suggestions?

Edit: I finally found out what the problem was. iBooks cannot display images in tables when the image-element is nested in a div or paragraph element.

so:
.../td/img is working!
.../td/p/img is not working
.../td/div/img is not working

Last edited by shoshin; 04-21-2011 at 07:51 AM. Reason: enlightment
Old 04-23-2011, 05:10 AM   #11
wannabee
Media Bloke

Thanks shoshin, I'll have to give that a try mate
Old 04-23-2011, 06:18 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoshin View Post
hey folks,

I still got the problem that images within tables don't show up under iBooks...

Maybe it would work with the Bluefire Reader, JSWolf mentioned, it's not the solution. I have to develop an ePUb based E-Book that works on ADE and iBooks as well...

Anyone out there, with the same problem? Any ideas or suggestions?

Edit: I finally found out what the problem was. iBooks cannot display images in tables when the image-element is nested in a div or paragraph element.

so:
.../td/img is working!
.../td/p/img is not working
.../td/div/img is not working
Give the Pigs, Gords, and Wikis blog a read. There is a lot of good information regarding iBooks. I do not recall if what you are looking for is mentioned there.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:43 AM   #13
wannabee
Media Bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Give the Pigs, Gords, and Wikis blog a read. There is a lot of good information regarding iBooks. I do not recall if what you are looking for is mentioned there.
Wow. I'll follow up to see if she gets the info.

edit:
Hey Hey Hey! I now have finalised a book with images in the tables and now I can see them in iBooks. Thanks JSWolf.

Last edited by wannabee; 04-27-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Wow. I'll follow up to see if she gets the info.

edit:
Hey Hey Hey! I now have finalised a book with images in the tables and now I can see them in iBooks. Thanks JSWolf.
Happy to help even though I'd like iBooks to die and go away.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:16 PM   #15
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Happy to help even though I'd like iBooks to die and go away.
It doesn't really need to die, it just has to grow out of its childish non-conformity...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote