Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 09-08-2010, 10:28 AM   #1
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
MS Word directly to ePub

I ran into this article this morning about an app that will allow MS Word (2007 only so far) to create ePubs directly from within Word.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:58 AM   #2
Iain
Enthusiast
Iain began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I tried this and rejected it.

My main reasons were twofold. Firstly, the html that is in the ePub file has full and explicit styles for each paragraph. So rather than having <p class="Normal"> it has <p style="font:Times new Roman; font-size:12pt;...."> resulting in very large and slow to load epubs. The second reason was that you got the whole document in one chapter, again leading ot very large files. I suspect that the stuff I was producing with this wouldn't work on many ebook readers because of the size.

On the good side it will work with Word 2010, but you have to tweak a registry setting.

If anyone IS interested in getting ePubs directly from word drop me an email iain AT idcl dot CO dot UK. I'm in the process of building such a system to support my book scanning project ...

Iain
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2010, 04:50 PM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain View Post
On the good side it will work with Word 2010, but you have to tweak a registry setting.
Does this mean that Word 2010 will no longer load all that extra garbage in its HTML/XML?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:37 AM   #4
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I haven't actually tried it. I just linked the article. It did say they are working on a version that will work in 2010 without hacking the registry. The closest I've come to making an e-book is creating an e-book catalog and a phone/address book specifically sized for my JBL in PDF. PDF actually was more appropriate than ePub would be since reflow would have wrecked the formatting.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:17 AM   #5
Iain
Enthusiast

Word HTML

I don't know about word html - I've not looked at it for some time. The Word->ePub plugin doesn't use the Word Html generator, it has it's own.

Iain
Advert
Old 09-10-2010, 04:58 AM   #6
NoNickName
NoNickName began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain View Post
If anyone IS interested in getting ePubs directly from word drop me an email
I am. Please keep us posted.
NoNickName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:21 AM   #7
Iain
Enthusiast

Best if you email me directly (iain AT idcl DOT co DOT uk). What I have at the moment is tuned to my needs and not releasable as such. If you want me to send you something to play with, then drop me a line and explain what you want to do. I may need to tweak the code a bit.
For example, I'm only concerned with paperback books so I haven't implemented a lot of things like tables or or frames yet. I might change my development priority depending on what other people would get out of it.

Iain