Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-15-2007, 09:26 PM   #31
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Congratulations everybody.

I have reached the more modest total of 300 book uploads (though not 300 titles, yet).

My Reader arrived on the 10th May. Since then I've got to grips with BD; which was made a great deal easier by the help that many people on this forum have given. Thank you all very much.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:33 PM   #32
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post

I have reached the more modest total of 300 book uploads (though not 300 titles, yet).

My Reader arrived on the 10th May. Since then I've got to grips with BD; which was made a great deal easier by the help that many people on this forum have given. Thank you all very much.
467 - 300 = 167.

Gosh.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2007, 10:08 AM   #33
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
467 - 300 = 167.

Gosh.
Yeah, that Patricia doesn't say much, but she sure formats a mean book.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:01 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Congrats! Any chance you could find books published after I was born?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:06 AM   #35
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Which year was that, Jon?
I'll try.
Advert
Old 10-18-2007, 07:22 AM   #36
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This will be almost impossible. Everything copyrighted after 1 January 1964 will be in copyright for 95 years. This was automatic.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:14 AM   #37
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I just realized that my 1 Year anniversery with MobileRead was a few weeks ago.

Funny, I used to be an iLiad n00b, now I've got a few repectable releases under my belt, and I'm an editor. The post count isn't huge, but I rarely leave the iLiad forum.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:18 AM   #38
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Congrats Adam B.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:41 AM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I too am soon to come up to a 1 year on MobilRead. Sometime in November last year is my join date. November 12, 2006 was my join date to be exact.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:48 AM   #40
Patricia
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
This will be almost impossible. Everything copyrighted after 1 January 1964 will be in copyright for 95 years. This was automatic.
Jon's profile gives a 1963 birthdate, so there is a window of a couple of months where there might be books both younger than him and out of copyright. Plus there is later work available under creative commons.

Also, congratulations Adam B.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:52 AM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I have been trying to find books to post that have been published in my lifetime. And I've done pretty good so far. I'm still on the lookout though. So if anyone finds any books that are good and able to be posted here once converted, please let me know.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:07 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Jon's profile gives a 1963 birthdate, so there is a window of a couple of months where there might be books both younger than him and out of copyright.
Only out of copyright in the USA, though, almost certainly. Virtually all the rest of the world has a "life + 70" copyright law; someone who published a book in 1963 and then instantly died would not be out of copyright in most of the world until 2034. Even in those few "life + 50" countries that remain, they wouldn't be out of copyright until 2014.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:09 AM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

But as we can see, some authors do release some of their books for free or under a Creative Commons license and we either get permission under the terms of the release or from the author to convert these books and post them here.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:14 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is true of course, but most authors write books for crass commercial reasons, and hence don't give them away for free. Those who do tend to be either idealistic, not good enough to get commercially published, or both. There are exceptions, of course.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:23 AM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Sometimes you read a book by an author who has given it away and decide "Oh, I like that. I think I'll go buy more of this author's work."