Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-08-2010, 08:25 PM   #1
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Back Story: Books vs. E-Books

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/08/03/b...s-e-books.html

An interesting infographic from Newsweek. Based on their information, ebooks earn less, are bought less, and are a mixed bag socially. Now that's not to discourage any one from going ebooks, but it does paint an interesting light on the ebook craze. IE, it's still a niche market, *however*, once it stops being so, it's going to be the monster of literature, pushing more books into circulation than any other time in history (proportionally, mind you).
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
DaringNovelist
Addict
DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Where does the "mixed back socially" come in? Or did you mean the carbon footprint stuff?

The poster/cover doesn't give us new information, but it's a lot of fun. My only quibble with it is that most books are not sold as hardbacks. The comparison should be with paperbacks (especially when you get to the carbon footprint - because most paperbacks printed end up in a landfill).

Camille
DaringNovelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2010, 12:13 AM   #3
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, carbon footprint is one, and so is the fact that some places that take a very dim view of anything electronic, especially ebook readers, whereas others embrace them. There's more, but that's the two big ones they touched on.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:33 AM   #4
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
What about the carbon footprint of manufacturing and shipping all those bookcases?

Nice link. Repped.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:46 AM   #5
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I saw an interesting article online (sorry, I don't remember where) that posited ebooks quickly wiping out paperbacks, and paper books becoming luxury items, much better made and fancier.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2010, 06:29 AM   #6
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
What about the carbon footprint of manufacturing and shipping all those bookcases?

Nice link. Repped.
And all the metres of construction that said bookcases are housed in.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:10 AM   #7
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post
I saw an interesting article online (sorry, I don't remember where) that posited ebooks quickly wiping out paperbacks, and paper books becoming luxury items, much better made and fancier.
I'm sure the dream of every tree friendly person on this planet would be to see ebooks become king, and paperbacks die out (the savings on printing costs would be a huge plus), but I've got a gut feeling that you're going to see ebooks start out and remain a niche market for some time. Case in point. When netbooks first came out, OEM's couldn't keep them on the shelves. Now that the market has become saturated, and the majority of demand met, it's getting hard for OEM's to push new netbooks.

I see the ebook market doing the same thing soon, if it isn't already. The question is, when are we going to hit that invisible wall, or have we already hit it and just don't realize it? And if we have hit that wall, how long will it be before we knock it down and push past it? I'm not trying to disparage ebooks, but there's a lot of ifs here and the market is still relatively new. It could be waiting for the price of ereaders to go down a bit more (a perception of price to value), and it could merely be waiting for actual habits to change, the later being a much longer, more drawn out process. Either way, we're still only really just seeing the beginnings of this market, and it's nowhere near the explosion point as so many have predicted would happen eventually.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:17 PM   #8
JohnHileman
Author
JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post

I would love to see a return to this. I don't know about anyone else, but I cringe when I walk down the $2 paperback aisle at Wal-Mart. I want beautifully written, beautifully bound, books on my book shelf, and they are becoming an endangered species.

Regards,

John Michael Hileman

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-01-2012 at 02:37 PM.
JohnHileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:32 PM   #9
JohnHileman
Author
JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
but I've got a gut feeling that you're going to see ebooks start out and remain a niche market for some time.

I don't think it is possible to predict all of the potential factors that would influence the growth of the eBook market. If a company were to launch a new form of liquid paper that could be manipulated like an Ipad, but fold up and go in your pocket, I think we would see an explosion in the eBook market. It's all about application.

It was largely assumed that television would kill radio, because who would want to just listen, when they could see and listen? Well, as we all know, radio is still going strong- thank God for car stereos! The morning commute has ensured the continuance of radio, at least into the foreseeable future.

Regards,

John Michael Hileman

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-01-2012 at 02:37 PM.
JohnHileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:16 PM   #10
meromana
Zealot
meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: my laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
I see the ebook market doing the same thing soon, if it isn't already. The question is, when are we going to hit that invisible wall, or have we already hit it and just don't realize it?
Looking at market statistics, it doesn't appear that we're anywhere near the wall on selling ebooks. People can read ebooks on any PC, and there are gazillions of those around, so ebooks aren't even close to being dependent on ereader sales. Right now, the ebook curve is sloping sharply upward (like quadrupling in the last 2 years), while the paper book curve has been basically flat (down 5% in the last 2 years).

Of course, no one can predict the future, but if ebook sales did not continue to rise sharply for at least another several years, it would be really surprising.

--Maria
meromana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:46 PM   #11
djpyle
Writer
djpyle can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.djpyle can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.djpyle can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.djpyle can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.djpyle can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.djpyle can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.djpyle can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.djpyle can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.djpyle can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.djpyle can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.djpyle can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: Oasis, Paperwhite 1, iPhone 6+
Quote:
Originally Posted by meromana View Post
People can read ebooks on any PC, and there are gazillions of those around....
This is true, but I get the impression that most people like to read in a comfy chair or on the porch or by the pool and don't want to drag around a laptop. I do think ereader prices will play a major role in the rise of ebooks. Once my dad can buy an ereader and an ebook for $28 instead of a hardcover for $30, I think we'll really start to see a boom in digital sales.
djpyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:37 PM   #12
meromana
Zealot
meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: my laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpyle View Post
This is true, but I get the impression that most people like to read in a comfy chair or on the porch or by the pool and don't want to drag around a laptop. I do think ereader prices will play a major role in the rise of ebooks. Once my dad can buy an ereader and an ebook for $28 instead of a hardcover for $30, I think we'll really start to see a boom in digital sales.
Yes, I agree that price is probably one of the biggest reasons so many have not adopted the technology yet, but we know that will come down like a rocket. I'm plenty old enough to remember a time when calculators were a luxury item that cost hundreds of dollars, and still recall saving up for weeks to buy a "Walkman" (small portable radio with a headset for you young folks).

Sure, there will always be the latest and greatest expensive models for those on the cutting edge, but I have no doubt the future holds ereaders that will be offered free with the purchase of XYZ ebook package, just as we have now with cell phones and data cards. Or maybe the term "book" will come to mean a $5 electronic gadget you can buy in the corner drugstore, that just happens to have a bunch of digital files stored in it that display on its screen...

--Maria
meromana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:39 AM   #13
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Yep the same thing happened with the VHS machine and the DVD player. New tech always starts out being expensive and the price goes down as it becomes a more common piece of technology. I also imagine that when books were first printed there were some who didn't think much of the media that was trying to replace the scroll. And before printed books there were also hand copied manuscripts that were so valuable their owners would literally chain them to their library tables so that guests wouldn't be able to 'borrow' them. In fact as far as how valuable books were back before printing goes there was a king of france (I think one of the louis's) who was considered wealthy because of his large library which contained some 24 books. Ebooks allow you to download more than that in a single evening (if you find a good supply of free books or have the $ to buy multiple ebooks). It's a matter of perspective I think. Eventually paper books will probably be found mostly in antique stores or museums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meromana View Post
Yes, I agree that price is probably one of the biggest reasons so many have not adopted the technology yet, but we know that will come down like a rocket. I'm plenty old enough to remember a time when calculators were a luxury item that cost hundreds of dollars, and still recall saving up for weeks to buy a "Walkman" (small portable radio with a headset for you young folks).

Sure, there will always be the latest and greatest expensive models for those on the cutting edge, but I have no doubt the future holds ereaders that will be offered free with the purchase of XYZ ebook package, just as we have now with cell phones and data cards. Or maybe the term "book" will come to mean a $5 electronic gadget you can buy in the corner drugstore, that just happens to have a bunch of digital files stored in it that display on its screen...

--Maria
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote