Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-05-2009, 01:55 AM   #1
cchen926
cchen926 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 1
Which e-book reader can read large PDF files?

Hi all, this is my first post, and I have searched this question over and over again through google and here. Couldn't find the answer, so here I go. Anyone know of any e-book reader that can read large PDF files? Large, I mean like anywhere between 60megs to 130 megs. I know the Kindle 1 (which I have) cannot do this. It can read PDFs, just not large files. I was thinking of the Sony 600. The reason why I am curious is because a lot of books are just not available to me in electronic format, so sometimes I go to the library and just take a picture of the whole book. I would use the JPGs, combine and convert them into PDF. I use Paperport to convert. It's a really good software. The problem is, it turns the files into 130 megs, or a little bit more than 1/7th of a CD-ROM. Nowadays, that is not very large in today's computers. I know iPhone's cannot read big PDFs. It loads but just stays there forever. I wonder if Kindle 2 can do this. Any feedback would be awesome!
cchen926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:56 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
With most devices, the actual size of the PDF file doesn't matter that much, because only the current page is actually "read" at any one time. Most of the devices that I own can handle large PDFs without any real difficulty; I routinely use an 80MB PDF (a Latin grammar book with scanned image pages) on several of them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2009, 12:43 AM   #3
cchen926

Should I get the Sony prs-600?

I was looking at it on amazon. Got some points I can redeem, and it looks promising. So you say that 80 megs is NOT a problem with most of your devices? Should I go for the Sony PRS-600?
Old 12-06-2009, 04:14 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Sony works as well as most 6" devices, and better than some - which is to say, not terribly well if the PDF has been created for an A4/Letter size page. If your book page can be read without "zooming" on a 9x12cm screen, you'll be fine.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:34 AM   #5
cchen926

How about if I need to zoom? A lot of times I take picture of the whole book plus most of the chair that is holding the book. Sometimes the photograph even gets the floor. I have to take pictures with all this because if you were to focus in too close to the book, it would create a blur in some edges. If I were to take a picture with the unnecessary things in the background, then the background becomes unfocused, which I'd rather have than the book. Your input has been very helpful.
Advert
Old 12-06-2009, 04:39 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

You can zoom, yes, but the issue is that the zoom "resets" with every page turn. If you're just looking up a specific page, that's not really a problem, but for actually reading a book it's pretty bad.

If you want to read large-page PDFs, you really need a reader with a larger screen. The "perfect" device for PDFs is currently the iRex DR1000S, with its 10" screen; it can read A4/Letter PDFs without zooming, but is rather expensive. The 8" Kindle DX is another possibility if you're in the USA.

If you can hold off for a few months, there will be a whole slew of new large-screen devices appearing on the market in the first half of 2010.