Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 06-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #16
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
When I plug mine into the USB port with the jetBook tuned on I get the USB connected screen and it appears in "My Computer" as removable drives. When I plug it in while in standby I get a battery charging screen (graphic of a battery with it filling) and it does not mount the removable drives.

I have not tried it while completely off.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:35 PM   #17
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
I have only charged mine via the USB cable. It charges to 100% and the icon changes to show it. Make sure it is in standby or off when charging.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2009, 11:19 AM   #18
bonteku
Interested Observer
bonteku began at the beginning.

Device: Palm tx/Jetbook
The first time I charged mine I used the AC charger,after 8-10 hours the main charging screen was still not showing full but checking in settings showed a full charge.I read until I was down 1 bar then charged again,this time main screen showed a full charge after 3-4 hours.I always use the AC charger and have the Jetbook turned off.
bonteku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:33 AM   #19
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
I was reading and the "low power" message appeared. Plugged it into A/C and continued reading for awhile. Turned it off and got the "charging" screen.

So, now it's charging - hope it was OK to use it while charging - seemed to work just fine.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:58 AM   #20
bonteku
Interested Observer
bonteku began at the beginning.

Device: Palm tx/Jetbook
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
I was reading and the "low power" message appeared. Plugged it into A/C and continued reading for awhile. Turned it off and got the "charging" screen.

So, now it's charging - hope it was OK to use it while charging - seemed to work just fine.
Anyone have any more info on reading while charging?
bonteku is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2009, 05:06 PM   #21
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Since people are talking about charging, I have a question. Living Japan we run on a 100v system, not 120v (or 110v-whatever it is in North America). This shouldn't cause any problem with charging my new Jetbook should it? I think most of my other electronics are fine with it-I just thought I'd check.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:25 PM   #22
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Since people are talking about charging, I have a question. Living Japan we run on a 100v system, not 120v (or 110v-whatever it is in North America). This shouldn't cause any problem with charging my new Jetbook should it? I think most of my other electronics are fine with it-I just thought I'd check.
Canuck, if you charge other electronics it must be no problem with jetBook too.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:05 PM   #23
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Most devices made for use in the US work from 90-130 volts, more or less. In fact, over the years, the "standard" AC voltage in the US has varied from place to place. You will see references to 110V, 117V and 120V in older literature. I think most everyone standardized on 120VAC so that they could interconnect to form "the grid".
Old 06-19-2009, 01:48 AM   #24
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Charging update

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonteku View Post
Anyone have any more info on reading while charging?
I read with no problem while charging with adapter, turned it off and continued charging until I saw a "full battery" image. Turning it on again, the device picked up from exactly where I left off. No problems.

Thinking about it - perhaps the questions are basically regarding USB charging? Since the wall charger comes with the device, why would anyone choose to wait and use the USB for charging? I almost never use the USB cable. I put books on the SD card, delete books directly from the card/device as I read them using the jetBook firmware "delete" operation, and charge quickly from the wall. Used the USB cable once since I've gotten the jetBook....

I have to say that the jetBook hardware/firmware is incredibly robust and easy to use.

Last edited by rgeorg; 06-19-2009 at 01:53 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:39 PM   #25
Lanx
Enthusiast
Lanx began at the beginning.

Device: none
one less ac adapter to clog up my life... by using usb charger.
Lanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:52 PM   #26
rgeorg
Guru

Good point about the collection of chargers...
Old 06-19-2009, 04:26 PM   #27
JennBandersnatch
JennBandersnatch began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook
Thanks for the help, everyone. I figured a few things out. First, I have NEVER seen the charging screen. Secondly, I haven't figured out what exactly standby is. I didn't see anything about 'standby mode' in the manual. I just push the power button and the screen shuts off after a few seconds. Is it in standby or is it off?
Last night I left my Jetbook plugged in via the USB - didn't charge. When I left for work, I left it on and plugged into the USB - it charged completely.
It sounds like my device is wonky. I'll send it back to NewEgg for a replacement.
Thanks!
JennBandersnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:03 PM   #28
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennBandersnatch View Post
Thanks for the help, everyone. I figured a few things out. First, I have NEVER seen the charging screen. Secondly, I haven't figured out what exactly standby is. I didn't see anything about 'standby mode' in the manual. I just push the power button and the screen shuts off after a few seconds. Is it in standby or is it off?
Last night I left my Jetbook plugged in via the USB - didn't charge. When I left for work, I left it on and plugged into the USB - it charged completely.
It sounds like my device is wonky. I'll send it back to NewEgg for a replacement.
Thanks!
Before you send it back, you should determine if the USB port that you plugged it into is powered or not. Sometimes they are not, and would not be able to charge your jetBook. That would be especially true if you plugged it into a USB hub instead of directly into the computer. Also try a different USB cable.

It's in standby. To turn if off you have to press and hold the power button for a few seconds. Then when you restart it it will go through a bootup process and show a neat picture of a library, just like if you pressed the reset button.

You normally wouldn't want to turn it off as it takes quite a while, relatively speaking, to boot up. The exception would be if you were not going to use it for an extended period (like months or years) since standby uses a small amount of power, and would eventually drain the battery completely. LiIon batteries can be damaged by discharging them completely.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:39 PM   #29
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennBandersnatch View Post
Thanks!
Just make sure that you plug it into a 2 USB hubs on your PC.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:57 PM   #30
jgray
Fanatic

Are you using the USB cable that came with the jetBook? Are you plugging the jetBook into a desktop or laptop computer?