Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-28-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
A small favor?

Could I get someone here to download the attached PDF file and load it on your DR 1000? I'm looking at buying one as soon as they come back in stock, and one of my primary purposes for the device will be to read my own created documents for RPG gaming purposes.

I'll also need to make the equivalent of margin notes on the document, so that I can look at them later and edit those events and changes into future versions of the document.

As far as I can tell, the DR 1000s should be perfect for this, but before I go and buy it, I want to make sure my Word Perfect PDF's will work on the device (I also have Quark, but that's a bit more work) because I've had occasions where other machines would not open PDF's made with Word Perfect. In the attached document, the fonts are embedded, and there is no security on it.

Can anyone give me a hand?

PS I'm also happy to discuss my game notes, rules, stories, etc. in other venues and using IM's etc.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf A Crimson Twilight Adventure Escape from Rathak Noir.pdf (34.1 KB, 271 views)
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:13 AM   #2
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Your document loads quickly and flipping pages is very fast, so no problems. The problems with (other) PDFs seem to be related to parts requiring a lot of memory (big bitmaps for example).

You can view documents on the DR1000 with or without margin, so you should have enough space for your remarks.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2009, 05:57 AM   #3
Vadrus
Vadrus began at the beginning.

Device: irex dr1000s
From my own rpg experiences using the DR1000s.

If you're looking at pdfs with simple layout and no layers, works fine, a little slow but usable.

If you're looking at pdfs with even slightly complicated layouts, layers or pictures, then forget it, it's so painfully slow (if it will open them at all) you'll feel like hurling it out of the window.

Pdfs with layers seems to be the worst culprit, if your PC visibly redraws layers in the pdf then you can forget opening them on the DR, it will fail almost everytime, unfortunately as a lot of gaming books seem to be created with layers this is a major pain.

Vadrus
Vadrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Thanks for the advice guys. I looked at all the game book PDF's I have right now, and none of them seem to have layers. (Although I admit I may not be viewing them correctly, I just opened them in Adobe reader and clicked on Layers, none showed up.)

But I'll keep an eye out, thanks again.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote