Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-27-2015, 09:34 AM   #1
Guiltyr1
Connoisseur
Guiltyr1 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Padigital Novel
Paperwhite 2nd Gen: Firmware: 5.6.2.1

I didn't see this posted on here so, thought I would post it for those who enjoy updated their firmware:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201307450

I believe this firmware matches the same # firmware update for the Kindle Voyage; not sure if there is any significance to that, just thought I would point it out.

Enjoy..

Last edited by Guiltyr1; 05-27-2015 at 09:38 AM.
Guiltyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:37 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, it's just a "general improvements and bug fixes" release, as the increment of the final digit suggests. No new features, and no reason not to install it if you're already on any 5.6.x firmware version.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2015, 10:33 PM   #3
Zulithe
Zulithe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle [third generation]
I'm disheartened at the low number of new features introduced through software updates, especially for the Voyage with its premium asking price.

I'm happy with my Voyage, but they aren't doing much to make it better post-release. Quite different from what you see with say a smartphone or tablet, which gets new features patched in regularly.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:29 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
I'm disheartened at the low number of new features introduced through software updates, especially for the Voyage with its premium asking price.

I'm happy with my Voyage, but they aren't doing much to make it better post-release. Quite different from what you see with say a smartphone or tablet, which gets new features patched in regularly.
A Kindle is not a Smartphone or a tablet; it's a device for doing a specific job; one which, personally speaking, I think it does already well.

Amazon do occasionally add new features - you will, I'm sure, have seen, for example, the announcement of the addition of hyphenation support that will be coming later this year - but it's unwise to buy any device with the expectation that it will do more than it does at the time that you buy it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:25 AM   #5
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I agree with HarryT. I buy for what is and not for what's going to be. If there is an actual bug in the system I do expect Kindle to fix it but new features, no. I also don't expect responses to the "well, it doesn't work for me" bugs.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2015, 09:17 AM   #6
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I agree with HarryT. I buy for what is and not for what's going to be. If there is an actual bug in the system I do expect Kindle to fix it but new features, no. I also don't expect responses to the "well, it doesn't work for me" bugs.

I agree with that also. The PW2 is a ebook reader only it is not a tablet and surely not a smartphone.
cvkemp is online now   Reply With Quote