Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-02-2014, 08:33 PM   #61
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Thanks. I may have to buy one.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:35 PM   #62
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I have this case on my FireFone: http://www.amazon.com/Speck-CandyShe...ase+for+kindle

It's pricey but it provides a very secure grip surface on the sides and back.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2014, 08:37 PM   #63
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Thanks. I may have to buy one.
No SIM card for me. This is a mini tablet.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #64
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Added more stuff to my review - Bluetooth and SIM Card.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:31 AM   #65
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Looks like they have extended the $250 off offer until Dec 3.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2014, 08:11 AM   #66
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Added more to my review again -- Fire OS and Music.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:33 AM   #67
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is anyone getting an extra warranty? Would one buy it based on purchase price, or retail value? I am looking at this one.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:39 AM   #68
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Fire OS 3.6.8 --> why hasn't Amazon upgraded the OS for the phone to OS 4.5.1 (the one used on the newer Fire tablets)? I don't like using two very different UIs when switching from the phone to the HD 6. Of the two OSs, OS 4.5 is superior to OS 3.6.
I too am waiting impatiently for this update.

N.B. - Amazon did tweak the OS to stop the hideous battery drain when the Wifi was left on. Initially you could literally watch the battery drain from Wifi usage - and had to remember to turn on airplane mode if you didn't have a charger cord with you. My phone, lying unused on my desk at work, would drain 30 -50% in 8 hours - even if I didn't use it for anything. Now, the battery remains > 90% over 8 hours.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:40 AM   #69
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Is anyone getting an extra warranty? Would one buy it based on purchase price, or retail value? I am looking at this one.
Amazon has such great customer service, and willingness to replace stuff at lowered costs even if it is your fault, that I didn't bother with a warranty.

Besides, they have millions of units in the warehouse to ship out
Old 12-03-2014, 08:58 AM   #70
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Amazon has such great customer service, and willingness to replace stuff at lowered costs even if it is your fault, that I didn't bother with a warranty.

Besides, they have millions of units in the warehouse to ship out
All true. I have yet to damage a device, so I'll just keep on like that.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:18 AM   #71
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Personally, I avoid these plans. I already have a two year warranty on my Fire Phone - 1st year from Amazon and 2nd year from my credit card. Also, I don't worry about loss or breakage, because I'm very careful with my devices.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:26 AM   #72
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I too am waiting impatiently for this update.

N.B. - Amazon did tweak the OS to stop the hideous battery drain when the Wifi was left on. Initially you could literally watch the battery drain from Wifi usage - and had to remember to turn on airplane mode if you didn't have a charger cord with you. My phone, lying unused on my desk at work, would drain 30 -50% in 8 hours - even if I didn't use it for anything. Now, the battery remains > 90% over 8 hours.
Since you've had the phone for a while, have you seen any talk of Amazon contemplating such an upgrade? I'm baffled that Amazon would have a very different UI on a device that amounts to a mini Fire. It's quite disconcerting switching between the two UIs; and I don't like it one bit.

I'm using this phone like a pocket-sized Fire HDX. It's worth the $100 I paid for it. If I had to pay $200 with the current OS, I wouldn't do it.

Very glad they fixed the battery drain.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:35 AM   #73
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Not that I'm interested in a Fire phone but if you are it seems a bargain in the US as in the UK they still want £399 for it which is around $640 at today's exchange rate!
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:46 AM   #74
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
... Also, why is Prime Stations missing?

...more later
Sounds like the Android app. I keep waiting for an update that includes stations. One of the reasons for getting the phone is for the Prime Stations. Is this only available on the Fire tablets? Haven't bothered to check my iPad.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:00 AM   #75
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Mines ordered with Del date of Dec 29th! Do you folks know how long it takes for them to add the Prime? My free trial ends the 9th or 12th.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote