Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #106
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
seen that video before. Some guy witters on saying inanities such as "Don't lick the circuit board, Do not immerse in water..." or similar...

twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #107
nypaulie
Gātheist
nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, FireHD6 Gen4
To satisfy my curiosity can anyone tell me whether or not an image file (dd) taken of npoland's PW2 could be (dd) copied onto another PW2? It sounds like it would be too easy/good to be true!

Last edited by nypaulie; 10-10-2013 at 10:45 AM.
nypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #108
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nypaulie View Post
To satisfy my curiosity can anyone tell me whether or not an image file (dd) taken of npoland's PW2 could be (dd) copied onto another PW2? It sounds like it would be too easy/good to be true!
Yes, of course it could - at least as long as you are talking about the "normal" partitions and kernel dumps. That's what we've been doing all the time with the various debricking procedures... Then again, what for? All PW2s already come shipped with that same data.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #109
nypaulie
Gātheist
nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Yes, of course it could - at least as long as you are talking about the "normal" partitions and kernel dumps. That's what we've been doing all the time with the various debricking procedures... Then again, what for? All PW2s already come shipped with that same data.
So what you're saying is that any additions/alterations that have been done (in this case by npoland) via the serial hookup aren't transferable via dd to another like machine?
Old 10-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #110
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So what you're saying is that any additions/alterations that have been done (in this case by npoland) via the serial hookup aren't transferable via dd to another like machine?
Ah, you're talking about the changes... of course you can clone those too. But again, what for? All you need to install using a serial port connection is the developer certificate (a.k.a jailbreak); from there on, you can install the modifications using whatever "official" method they provide. Much more versatile, and IMO better, than cloning an entire system including all settings, and including stuff you probably don't want or need.
Advert
Old 10-10-2013, 01:16 PM   #111
nypaulie
Gātheist

Quote:
Ah, you're talking about the changes... of course you can clone those too. But again, what for? All you need to install using a serial port connection is the developer certificate (a.k.a jailbreak); from there on, you can install the modifications using whatever "official" method they provide. Much more versatile, and IMO better, than cloning an entire system including all settings, and including stuff you probably don't want or need.
Yes, but what has me afraid to approach this is "using a serial port connection". Don't you agree that this is not feasible for a good many of us? (Like maybe 98%?). I Did take a look at the video of the case dismantling and figured I could pull this off, but then I would still have to do the fine soldering, etc.. Not for me! So is there a way to get under the hood without the dismembering part? That's what prompted my dd question.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #112
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Yes, but what has me afraid to approach this is "using a serial port connection". Don't you agree that this is not feasible for a good many of us? (Like maybe 98%?). I Did take a look at the video of the case dismantling and figured I could pull this off, but then I would still have to do the fine soldering, etc.. Not for me! So is there a way to get under the hood without the dismembering part? That's what prompted my dd question.
You're getting something wrong here. The only currently known method to get the required control over a PW2 is using the serial port. There is no end-user compatible jailbreak yet, and it is currently unknown whether or when there will be one.

For your "dd" proposal to work, you still need full access to the device in the first place. So it's exactly as complicated as only installing the developer certificate. In other words: you still need either serial port access, or an as-of-now-inexistent end user jailbreak before you can dd.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #113
nypaulie
Gātheist

Quote:
You're getting something wrong here. The only currently known method to get the required control over a PW2 is using the serial port. There is no end-user compatible jailbreak yet, and it is currently unknown whether or when there will be one.

For your "dd" proposal to work, you still need full access to the device in the first place. So it's exactly as complicated as only installing the developer certificate. In other words: you still need either serial port access, or an as-of-now-inexistent end user jailbreak before you can dd.
I am totally clear about the end user jailbreak nonexistence (yet). It looks like my idea of what a dd-created disk image contains is where I am out of sync. So are you saying that once the PW2 has had the developer certificate serial-installed this information would not be part of a dd image? Sorry if this question is super-dumb!
Old 10-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #114
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur
DrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle PW2
I think he meant that yes, it will be part of the dd image, but you won't be able to use that dd image before jailbreaking the device, which makes it a moot point.
DrunkenDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #115
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
I am totally clear about the end user jailbreak nonexistence (yet). It looks like my idea of what a dd-created disk image contains is where I am out of sync. So are you saying that once the PW2 has had the developer certificate serial-installed this information would not be part of a dd image? Sorry if this question is super-dumb!
No, that's not what I'm saying. It would of course be part of the image. But that still doesn't help you in any way - what are you going to do with such an image? How are you going to get it onto another device?

Here's a list of the partitions (The dev certs go to partition 1, "main"). The only partition that you can access with normal user privileges is the 4th one. To access any other partition, you need either serial port access, or an already jailbroken device.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:44 AM   #116
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
Bah, my soldering skills aren't up to it, I can't get all 3 points soldered at once, they keep breaking off.

Last edited by Akirainblack; 10-11-2013 at 06:02 AM.
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #117
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akirainblack View Post
Bah, my soldering skills aren't up to it, I can't get all 3 points soldered at once, they keep breaking off.
There are "tricks to the trade" that may help.

AND
people standing by on IRC to share those 'tricks'.

Last edited by knc1; 10-11-2013 at 09:22 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #118
npoland
1st KPW2 JB
npoland puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.npoland puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.npoland puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.npoland puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.npoland puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.npoland puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.npoland puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.npoland puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.npoland puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.npoland puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.npoland puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: PW2
That could possibly be because of how quickly the board is dissipating the heat that you are soldering with. Try to heat up the pads and get some solder on them then try to solder the wires to that.
npoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #119
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
Always use flux as well or your just wasting your time.
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #120
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
Will try and get on the dev channel tomorrow, Things are not going well.
I'm currently hoping someone in the UK may be able to help me out. :S
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote