Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-02-2008, 11:48 PM   #1
ValMac
Compulsive reader
ValMac began at the beginning.

Device: None
Kindle in Australia

I am considering buying a Kindle if I can obtain content for it in Australia. Does anyone have experience with this, and if how do I go about obtaining content. Is there an adequate choice of e-books from whatever source you use?

ValMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:09 AM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Lots of fine books....right here on this very site
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2008, 12:54 AM   #3
Mark Willoughby
Mark Willoughby began at the beginning.

Device: Ectaco jetBook
My understanding is that content is sent straight to your Kindle from the Amazon site. You can transfer content (in a compatable format) to your kindle from your PC but you cannot get DRM books from Amazon. As noted the book is sent straight to your device (via EVDO) and no provider in Australia currently operates an EVDO service (I think Telstra had one but this has been replaced by 3G). The gist of this is that it is unlikely that we will ever get the Kindle here until 1. Someone sets up an EVDO network and then partners with Amazon or 2. the wireless technology of the kindle changes to wifi/HSDPA(3G).

Try the illiad or cybook and use mobipocket (or similar) for your DRM material. They have an excellent range. If you are not using DRM material, look at the Hanlin or the jetBook (reflective TFT).

Cheers

Mark
Mark Willoughby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:16 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Do you have a credit card with a US billing address? Unless you do, you will neither be able to buy a Kindle, nor any books for it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:28 AM   #5
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
You can buy books from Amazon without the wireless connection. You download the files and load them via USB. However, you do need a US credit card account like Harry says.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2008, 11:16 AM   #6
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
If you like the idea of what Kindle does - Eink, wireless connection, capacity, etc, but don't live in the US, then you might be better off getting an Iliad. I've not seen one of those, but when reseearching what I wanted for an e-book reader, I was torn between Kindle and Iliad. Kindle won out, mostly because of the EVDO connection, but i live in the US.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:23 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValMac View Post
I am considering buying a Kindle if I can obtain content for it in Australia. Does anyone have experience with this, and if how do I go about obtaining content. Is there an adequate choice of e-books from whatever source you use?

Because you do not live in the US and won't have a US credit card witha US address, you won't be able to purchase eBooks from Amazon for use with the Kindle. Also the wireless the Kindle uses will not work in AU. So basically, you are best off not getting a Kindle since most of what makes the Kindle what it is will be useless to you. You'd be best off looking at an iLiad or maybe a Gen3.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:28 AM   #8
gabo
gabo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle works in Oz

I have just been given a Kimble. I logged onto Amazon and set up account using Australian credit card and gmail account. Then I sent myself an amazon gift card to my other email. I then logged off and set up another amazon account with new email address and used gift card to purchase. I have bought 5 books and a magazine subscription. Same works for Apple itunes.
gabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:24 PM   #9
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabo View Post
I have just been given a Kimble. I logged onto Amazon and set up account using Australian credit card and gmail account. Then I sent myself an amazon gift card to my other email. I then logged off and set up another amazon account with new email address and used gift card to purchase. I have bought 5 books and a magazine subscription. Same works for Apple itunes.
Aren't you just the crafty one?
I'm in Oz and have had to *massage* with a format to be able to read on my Kindle.
Despite having to fiddle around with the format, I love my Kindle.
I wonder how many are in Oz?
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:34 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Could you be a little clearer on what you did?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:58 PM   #11
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Genius!

But I thought you need a US credit card (or PayPal account) to register a US iTunes account.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:01 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Could you be a little clearer on what you did?
Seems pretty clear to me. He has two accounts. One with his Aus Credit Card info in it. Then a second with no Credit Card in it. He buys gift cards on account 1 (with cc registered) then applies them to account 2 (with Kindle registered) to buy ebooks.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Seems pretty clear to me. He has two accounts. One with his Aus Credit Card info in it. Then a second with no Credit Card in it. He buys gift cards on account 1 (with cc registered) then applies them to account 2 (with Kindle registered) to buy ebooks.

BOb
But you need a U.S. card and billing address registered to buy books, right?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:36 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
But you need a U.S. card and billing address registered to buy books, right?
Uh... nope. If you have a NON US card registered you can't buy. But, if you have no credit card registered and have gift card balance you can.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 01-21-2009 at 11:03 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:12 PM   #15
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Can you get Aussie newspapers via Amazon/Kindle?
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote