Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #16
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
I've just downloaded Calibre Companion. No problem connecting to the device, a Nexus 7, but it doesn't show the covers of my books. I use Moon+ reader, and my bookshelf is now full of generically generated covers. Very disappointed. Is there a way to fix this and get the covers?
I assume by "it" you mean Moon+, not CC. Moon+ shows the covers stored inside the books as opposed to the covers stored in calibre's database. This is true of all reader apps that I know of. CC is different in that it knows about the cover in calibre's database and shows that cover instead of the one inside the book.

Regarding covers inside the book, CC stores the book exactly as sent by calibre. If the covers inside the books are incorrect in calibre, they will be incorrect on the device unless calibre was able to replace the cover on the fly. In your case clearly calibre was not able to replace the covers on the fly, so you must fix them manually using calibre. See this post and the ones following it for some information. In addition, there are lots of posts relating to cover replacement in these forums.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #17
ellett
Connoisseur
ellett began at the beginning.

Device: Android
In the Calibre Companion, First Take thread, itimpi recommended to me the Modify ePub plugin. That should inject the cover you've selected in calibre into the ebook file so if you transfer it again you'll have the cover you want show up in your ereader.
ellett is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #18
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
FYI for others. If Moon+ gets confused it places nice generic covers on the book shelf. These covers do not come from the books or calibre. When a book is iported to Moon+ the cover is actually extracted from the books and placed in the Moon+ folder.

Quote:
I've just downloaded Calibre Companion. No problem connecting to the device, a Nexus 7, but it doesn't show the covers of my books.
Calibre Companion shows you the covers, if you open the books from there you will have no problem.

Quote:
I use Moon+ reader, and my bookshelf is now full of generically generated covers. Very disappointed. Is there a way to fix this and get the covers?
I experienced what you are referring to. This is a Moon+ problem. The covers are nice generic covers, I'm guessing supplied by Moon+. So essentially you are disappointed in Moon+ not CC. For the proper cover to show in Moon+ you have to import the books into Moon+. If you changed the directory for the books you have to import the books again.

I don't believe this is a problem with the cover being embedded in the epub. I forget how I got there (I was playing around with moving books and directories) but I did see my shelves filled with nice generic covers. I don't bother opening books from Moon+ anymore I simply open the books from CC.

Good Luck.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 08-26-2012 at 11:26 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #19
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
My wishlist:
  • And of course, ability to use custom subdirs created from metadata. {#coll}/{author} - {title}
We are doing this work now.

One important thing to note: the path for a book is a unique identifier in calibre. After we make this change, if you send the same book again, the normal process will create two copies, one with the old path and one with the new path. This is what happens on USB devices.

It is theoretically possible for us to determine that books with different paths have the same UUID. In this case we could delete the one already on the device. Is this what should happen? It makes me very nervous to automatically delete things, but perhaps it is the right thing to do.

EDIT: We can't delete the books. Doing so would confuse things in calibre because it would still think the other book is there. We could clean up on disconnect, but not while CC is connected.

Last edited by chaley; 08-28-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #20
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Nice! As I understand it this means that CC will, after this addition, have the same functionality as a connection using a USB-cable?

Plus the browser and launcher, of course.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #21
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
Nice! As I understand it this means that CC will, after this addition, have the same functionality as a connection using a USB-cable
If by "same functionality" you mean the same template support for generating paths, then the answer is yes.

Another big difference between USB and CC is that CC supports extension-to-folder mapping on a device by device basis. You can tell CC what folder to use for each extension. The path specified by the evaluating the template will be created inside that specified folder. As a consequence the template cannot produce absolute paths, which is also not supported by the USB subsystem.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:48 PM   #22
readerbeagle
readerbeagle began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Question on CC reading data in directory. Using Asus prime T200.

I played around with changing the directory for epub etc. but could not figure out how to set path to micro SD card. So in the end reverted back to original path set up by CC.

However although data is there CC cannot see it.

I was wondering if you had

1) Any idea what path shld be e.g. /removable/microsd/CC ( that doesn't work just an example)
2) What to do to see books already on Asus under old pathway.

Thanks

Gollygee
readerbeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:07 AM   #23
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by readerbeagle View Post
Question on CC reading data in directory. Using Asus prime T200.

I played around with changing the directory for epub etc. but could not figure out how to set path to micro SD card. So in the end reverted back to original path set up by CC.

However although data is there CC cannot see it.

I was wondering if you had

1) Any idea what path shld be e.g. /removable/microsd/CC ( that doesn't work just an example)
No idea. Someone with the same or similar device will need to chime in.
Quote:
2) What to do to see books already on Asus under old pathway.

Thanks

Gollygee
Are you asking how CC can "see" books already on the sdcard? If so, then the only way is to import the books into calibre and send them. We have not yet implemented scanning for books already on the device.

As for importing them into calibre, can you see the card using MTP? If so, then you can copy the books to your computer to do the import.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:42 AM   #24
readerbeagle

I think the problem is that once one changes the default directory and returns back to the default CC one can no longer see prev transferred ebooks.

You lost me on MTP - not understanding. Ideally I would like to store books on external SD. This is how I got myself in this mess : ) What I would like to know is appropriate path. eg: ? /microsd/CC.

Hope I am being clearer. Sorry if I am not using standard terms and I appreciate your help on this.

Thanks

GollyGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
No idea. Someone with the same or similar device will need to chime in.Are you asking how CC can "see" books already on the sdcard? If so, then the only way is to import the books into calibre and send them. We have not yet implemented scanning for books already on the device.

As for importing them into calibre, can you see the card using MTP? If so, then you can copy the books to your computer to do the import.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:59 AM   #25
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I think the problem is that once one changes the default directory and returns back to the default CC one can no longer see prev transferred ebooks.
This is true. CC removes existing books from its database when you change the folder where the books are stored, but does not remove the books from the file system. The only way to get them back into CC is to resend them from calibre.
Quote:
You lost me on MTP - not understanding. Ideally I would like to store books on external SD. This is how I got myself in this mess : ) What I would like to know is appropriate path. eg: ? /microsd/CC.
I was asking if you could see the books or the SD card when your device is plugged in with a cable. Calibre won't see it, but you might be able to get some information about the paths. In addition, if you have books on your device that aren't in calibre, you could copy them to a folder on your computer and then add them to calibre.

As for the "spelling" of the path, neither Steven nor I have a device like yours so we have no way to know it. You might be able to find it by using a file manager app and exploring the folder tree. For example, using the Rhythm Software File Manager, I was able to go to /storage and see the name of the standard SD memory on my Galaxy Nexus. I have no idea if that would work for you.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:39 AM   #26
readerbeagle

OK so if I could have my druthers...

Would make it possible to change directory and be able to read data in new and old directory - warning might be good short term bit, telling people that if you change from orig directory you will have to start over. (data still there in folders but not registering in CC) I think this is what really threw me as I figured if nothing had changed e.g. no adds or deleted on calibre it should have been fine to return to orig directory.

Druther 2 - a way to access higher up the directory tree. On Asus on I can see above MNT - to Removeable/MicroSD/CC but putting in that path is rejected by CC.

Still love app - filling serious gap n market - you will do well.

Gollygee

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
This is true. CC removes existing books from its database when you change the folder where the books are stored, but does not remove the books from the file system. The only way to get them back into CC is to resend them from calibre.
I was asking if you could see the books or the SD card when your device is plugged in with a cable. Calibre won't see it, but you might be able to get some information about the paths. In addition, if you have books on your device that aren't in calibre, you could copy them to a folder on your computer and then add them to calibre.

As for the "spelling" of the path, neither Steven nor I have a device like yours so we have no way to know it. You might be able to find it by using a file manager app and exploring the folder tree. For example, using the Rhythm Software File Manager, I was able to go to /storage and see the name of the standard SD memory on my Galaxy Nexus. I have no idea if that would work for you.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #27
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
I suspect that you can put in any path in CC. There are no checks except:

The path/folder actually exist.
CC is allowed to write and read files there.

I suspect that the path you entered doesn't exist, some minor misspelling or part of the path not specified?

Also some devices actually don't allow you to write to the removable microSDHC-card. It is a limitation in newer verions of Android, and my Xoom is one example of that. You can only read from it. There are some workarounds, but not any that will work with CC, as far as I know. So I can't use my external SD-card at all with CC.

There is some new code/documentation coming from Google that will allow applications to write removable memory cards in an approved way, and it doesn't seem to be many apps that actually can do that at the moment. I only know 3 apps that can, and that is with some severe limitations. Some suppliers have modified Android to allow access to external storage in a non-standard way. I don't know how it is with your device.

You really should get a filemanager (I use ES File Explorer) so you can check what folders there are, and create new, if needed. You can then also check that you can write there as well.

Thank you for a new word in my vocabulary. Druthers.

When changing the path in CC it would be elegant if the app asked if you wish to move the old files to the new path, or just delete the old contents of the old path. CC is in beta, so things like that may already be in the works?

Last edited by Adoby; 08-30-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:29 AM   #28
Pinkie
Connoisseur
Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard, Nook Color, Kobo
It works! thank you! I did connect using the wireless setting on Calibre, but this is so much better.
Pinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #29
readerbeagle

Figured out how to transfer directly to Kindle. Very simple emptied Kindle folder on SD card. Then changed directory in CC, for mobi only, to the actual Kindle directory.

Still can't figure how to get proper directory description for CCon a secondary MicroSD card.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:03 AM   #30
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Druther 2 - a way to access higher up the directory tree. On Asus on I can see above MNT - to Removeable/MicroSD/CC but putting in that path is rejected by CC.
I just noticed that the path above does not have a leading /.

If you type "/Removeable/MicroSD/CC" does it work?

Have you confirmed whether or not adoby's point about read-only SD cards applies to your device? Can other apps write to the SD card?