Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-02-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
q5485
q5485 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
How to embed animation in epub

Hi there

I searched for the phrase "embed animation" in the search box above, but could not find a single match, hence this post.

I am a children's book author with several illustrated hardcover books. I am getting them animated and will put the animation after my ebook. The reader of my ebook will be offered a choice of reading the ebook or watching the animation (which is based on the print version of the book) or doing both.

I need to embed animation in the epub file. I have converted the animation into m4v and mov formats so that it can play on ipads and iphones. I can convert the printed books into epubs using sigil, callibre and epub Maker software. But I can't seem to find a way of embedding animation into my epub, that will work.

Does anyone know a resource for a non-techie that will explain how to embed an animation in an epub file? I can do basic html editing but am not familiar with java script or scripting in any form. I also have no knowledge of css. Does this mean I am totally handicapped and need to hire an epub composer? I am struggling and would like to do it myself, if I can.

Many thanks for your help and suggestions.
Happy New Year to all of you.
q5485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I would be surprised if it was possible, but even if it is there wouldn't be many devices that could cope with the framerate. For something like that you would be better off creating it as an Apple App, someone showed me something similar to what you describe on an iphone a while ago. But you would be drastically cutting down on your potential readership if you went down that route.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Animations are out of the scope of the ePUB specification. They can only be included as non-standard content, and ePUB readers are not required (nor expected) to support them.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Animations are out of the scope of the ePUB specification. They can only be included as non-standard content, and ePUB readers are not required (nor expected) to support them.
Having said that the ADE implementation does support SWF images in the PC desktop version and probably on a mac. These can be animated. It may be supported on portable versions that are LCD based but not on devices that are E-paper based. Check our wiki on ePUB

Try this link for details: http://blog.threepress.org/2009/11/1...omment-page-1/

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:45 PM   #5
q5485

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am not a techie so I am not sure if it is doable or not. I have seen several posts on freelancer where requests to do the ebook conversion (with animation) are listed. Those services are way too expensive for me. In addition, I would rather do the conversion myself, if I am given the know-how.
Thanks
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 04:15 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It may be supported on portable versions that are LCD based but not on devices that are E-paper based.
and not on the iPad either, since it does not use ADE, and it does not support Flash (or so I've heard).
Old 01-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #7
finance4kids
Author, finance4kidz dot
finance4kids began at the beginning.

embedding animation

I too am interested in knowing how to do the animation in epub.

Last edited by finance4kids; 01-03-2011 at 10:01 AM. Reason: (spelling)
finance4kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:37 AM   #8
q5485

Dear Jellby and Dalede

Thank you for your comments. I am aware that ipad does not play flash. I am assuming ADE stands for Adobe Digital Editions? Given all that, can i put an external link in my epub file which will take the reader to another site where animation (in mov or m4v format) is located? Can the reader or his child watch the animation that way?
I think the animation is worth watching and it would be a shame to not let that happen.
Thanks once again.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:49 AM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
everything I know about video linking in ePUB is in the blog I referenced earlier. I would suggest you read it. External links are even worse than internal ones as they require an Internet connection to be useful. Not all ePUB readers can integrate WiFi into the reader application even if the device supports WiFi for other usage.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:45 PM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

If the system has an internet connection, it might be that the reading software launches a browser program for external links, and then you are in web-page dominions. I don't know if this is the case with ADE (yes, Adobe Digital Editions) or the iPad. If it has no connection (like my Cybook), it can never work.

But you can alway write the URL of the animation, so that the interested reader can visit it with an appropriate system.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:57 PM   #11
hard13
Enthusiast
hard13 began at the beginning.

Device: none
you can use m4v format for animation and add it to the epub
hard13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:09 PM   #12
LGN
Connoisseur
LGN is on a distinguished road

Device: ProMedia eReader, Sony PRS-600
The 3.0 specs will allow for audio and video embedding but it seems it's just targeting Tablest with this. And to be honest, when ebooks start looking and acting like regular websites... well.

Anyway the first public draft of ePUB 3.0 is presented, and noo, they chose a closed video codec support for this open format. (H.264). That's a real shame as now only publishers who pay a fee will be able to use video it seems.

Oh well, for now adding video might be a bad thing unless you want your content exclusive be targeting iPAD and similar devices and not the REAL eReading devices...
LGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:44 AM   #13
JonDeus
HackJOB
JonDeus began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, iPad, Android(Epic), PC.
This isn't about video, but animated gif. I can get it to work in epub viewable in Sigil, Calibre, but not on Nook Color.
SO gif is playing in the epub file, just not showing up on NC. has anyone been able to get a gif play on NC? I even treid as a seperate gif file i ported over, but just shows 1st image and thats all.
JonDeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:38 AM   #14
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
If Sigil or Calibre is showing it, it will not say that it will play. Both uses QT Webkit to display the xhtml files. The webkit does not follow the epub specs. A reader system should follow the specs more. Afak an animated gif is not supported according to the specs.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:20 AM   #15
hard13
Enthusiast
hard13 began at the beginning.

Device: none
only png and jpg format that support common devices..
hard13 is offline   Reply With Quote