Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-25-2011, 11:14 AM   #106
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
It seems my easiest option is to remove almost all of my books so that I only have 6 books on my Kobo at a time -the 5 that show up on the home screen plus the one book that hides behine the library button - as these are the only books I can open.
Before you go that route, have you tried the second tap on a different place on the screen? One that would be innocuous...
If I understood the issue correctly, the first tap registers the selected action but doesn't do it, while the second performs the action selected in the first tap, plus whatever action depending on what's appearing on the next screen.

It does not solve the issue proper, but worth a shot.

François
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:44 AM   #107
Lunchtray
Connoisseur
Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Gen 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
This really is a mysterious one. When something is widespread, it's clearly a firmware issue. These oddities though...

I really don't understand why something like this suddenly turns up though on a very small % of devices and not on others. I'd be tempted to see if I could return the Touch if a reset doesn't fix it and it drives you nuts.
I firmware updated early in the morning shortly after they released the firmware. It could be there might have been a few different versions depending on the time you downloaded throughout the day. I also updated via wifi cloud sync vs my step father's kobo desktop update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koboyashi View Post
kobo3-update-1.9.14.zip

Ehm, I hope that's okay for the company. If not, please notify me. So I'll remove the file immediately.
Thanks! I'll try this out when I'm home later tonight after all the family stuff.
Don't know why the Kobo official url for the older firmware isn't working.
Lunchtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2011, 01:13 PM   #108
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
FWIW- having new folks have the carousel from day one seems pretty smart to me--that many fewer people to say they dislike it if implemented later .
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:17 PM   #109
Akto
Akto will become famous soon enoughAkto will become famous soon enoughAkto will become famous soon enoughAkto will become famous soon enoughAkto will become famous soon enoughAkto will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo touch
After trying twice to install the new update, i.e. 1.9.16, the last installation a few minutes ago (first one yesterday morning), unfortunately I can only note the problem with the double tap as described above.

As suggested by frankieGom, I did the second "click" on an empty space of the screen and that worked. The requested function was then accessed. So it's a solution but definitely a pain.

Therefore I reinstalled version 1.9.14 and hope that a fix will be issued before the next update comes.

Reset was done 2 days before the release of update 1.9.16 and in the meantime I haven't done anything special with it.
Akto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:53 PM   #110
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akto View Post
After trying twice to install the new update, i.e. 1.9.16, the last installation a few minutes ago (first one yesterday morning), unfortunately I can only note the problem with the double tap as described above.
At this rate I'll soon be part of the happy few that have no issue with double tap!
Maybe I should start wondering about what's "wrong" with my device...
Advert
Old 12-25-2011, 03:40 PM   #111
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieGom View Post
Before you go that route, have you tried the second tap on a different place on the screen? One that would be innocuous...
If I understood the issue correctly, the first tap registers the selected action but doesn't do it, while the second performs the action selected in the first tap, plus whatever action depending on what's appearing on the next screen.

It does not solve the issue proper, but worth a shot.

François

That works!!! I don't need to downgrade and I can keep all my books on my Kobo until this is fixed!
This is what I love about Mobile Read - last night when I discovered this problem it was almost midnight on Christmas Day - I'd had a big day and just couldn't think of how to get around this. I'm leaving in an hour and I thought I'd quickly check for any responses before I removed most of my books.
And now I have an answer!
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 04:55 PM   #112
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
[QUOTE=Lunchtray;1894821]I firmware updated early in the morning shortly after they released the firmware. It could be there might have been a few different versions depending on the time you downloaded throughout the day. I also updated via wifi cloud sync vs my step father's kobo desktop update.
QUOTE]

My experience was the opposite. I updated via the Kobo Desktop for my Kobo (which has the double tap problem) and via Wifi for my daughter's which is working fine. I updated both Kobos at the same time which was about 2pm on Christmas Day in Australia ie about 18 hours ago.

I just realised that I didn't post previously that the other options from the Home menu ie Store, Settings etc all work perfectly with just one tap - it is only the Library and Show All from my Shortlist that has the problem.
I also occassionally have the double tap issue when reading books ie I tap to turn the page but nothing happens and then when I tap again it goes forward 2 pages.

I'm leaving on holidays for a few days now. I hope someone has a permenant solution for when I get back!!
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 05:59 PM   #113
grinch
grinch began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo TOuch
double tap problem

Hello,

I do have the double tab problem,BUT:

The problem is not here with no SDcard and 20 books in kobo.
The problem is there with SDCard (600 books on card, CBR/PDF/EPUB) and the 20 inner books.

Don't like the ads, but the favorites are not that bad...I would prefer a "library" direct button and folders/readlists
grinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:26 PM   #114
ereaderbug
ereaderbug began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR, Kobo Touch
This is my first day with the Kobo Touch and it had a horrible bug, where the page number footer would "swallow" the last line of the screen. Almost returned the device because of this bug. But,

I just updated the firmware to 16, and I noticed that the horrible bug disappeared. For the record, I do not like the new home screen.

I am glad I joined this group. Happy holidays to everyone.
ereaderbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:15 PM   #115
Lunchtray
Connoisseur
Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Gen 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
My experience was the opposite. I updated via the Kobo Desktop for my Kobo (which has the double tap problem) and via Wifi for my daughter's which is working fine. I updated both Kobos at the same time which was about 2pm on Christmas Day in Australia ie about 18 hours ago.

I just realised that I didn't post previously that the other options from the Home menu ie Store, Settings etc all work perfectly with just one tap - it is only the Library and Show All from my Shortlist that has the problem.
I also occassionally have the double tap issue when reading books ie I tap to turn the page but nothing happens and then when I tap again it goes forward 2 pages.

I'm leaving on holidays for a few days now. I hope someone has a permenant solution for when I get back!!
Reverting and re-updating now... I updated Friday the 23rd just after lunchtime EST. I probably got a different build and they stealth released an update after that.

Edit: No luck reverting firmware and updating again via Wifi sync. Will try to update through the desktop program tomorrow.

My test for the double click issue is to click "Home" choose "Reading Life" then use the drop-down to choose "Awards" there's where it gets stuck for me... Happens other places too and within various random menu's inside books too but that's my quick test.

Last edited by Lunchtray; 12-25-2011 at 10:44 PM.
Lunchtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:35 AM   #116
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieGom View Post
I am not convinced this and Nigol's problem are the same.
The only double tap problem I heard of in the beta group, of which I am a member, did not explicitly state that the second tap would trigger another action than the expected one, but, unless I misunderstood what was written, that double taps were needed in a lot of place to trigger the expected actions. I have been wrong before, so let's see if he confirms.
For the record the one having the problem in the Beta group is me, so our problems are for the same person. But yes the other tap does trigger another action depending where you click it. For example clicking a second time on library would sometimes open the menu of the book that was "behind" (the other screen) where you had pressed the second time.

I have found out that for example when deleting a book it would not remove it from the screen until you tap anywhere on the screen. So it is not really a double tap per say, more that the screen does not update until you interact with it.

For the record Kobo as started a thread about this issue (on the beta group), they have stated having tested it on a couple of devices and could not reproduce it and are thinking it might be a hardware issue, which I don't think is the problem because the problem disappears when going back to 1.9.16.

My hunch is that it is a database problem because when you think of it everytime it does that is when you access something in the database.
Nigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:42 AM   #117
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
I was able to upgrade my 1.9.16 from the version that always returned to ads in the bottom carousel, to the newer one with a "sticky" shortlist, by visiting the following thread, downloading the latest 1.9.16, and following the simple instructions.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=145177

Hooray! My only question is, how does the Kobo pick the books from your shortlist to display in the carousel? It's not by most recent, author, title, or file type. It seems to be random. Anyone know? Thanks.
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:13 AM   #118
frankieGom
Interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigol View Post
For the record the one having the problem in the Beta group is me, so our problems are for the same person. But yes the other tap does trigger another action depending where you click it. For example clicking a second time on library would sometimes open the menu of the book that was "behind" (the other screen) where you had pressed the second time.

I have found out that for example when deleting a book it would not remove it from the screen until you tap anywhere on the screen. So it is not really a double tap per say, more that the screen does not update until you interact with it.

For the record Kobo as started a thread about this issue (on the beta group), they have stated having tested it on a couple of devices and could not reproduce it and are thinking it might be a hardware issue, which I don't think is the problem because the problem disappears when going back to 1.9.16.

My hunch is that it is a database problem because when you think of it everytime it does that is when you access something in the database.
I stand corrected, thanks for the clarification.

Now we need to understand why the difference in behaviour from one device to the next. If it is not HW specific then it would have to be linked to differences in each device "configuration" (i.e different set up, or content...) and your jab at the database is as good a guess as any in that respect.

François
Old 12-26-2011, 08:16 AM   #119
azbdsf
Aka Redfish
azbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo touch
Hi,

Have the same problem with down side bar.... it come back to "Selectionned for you" each time I come back to main screen (even if I configured it to "favorites").
PS: sorry, my kobo is in french, I don't know the exact name in english.

But the biggest problem... is the ghosting.
Since this new upgrade, have too much ghosting.
With "6" refresh rate it's very very bad, with "1" refresh rate just bad (more than the "6" before the upgrade).

The problem is only since this new upgrade 1.9.16, no problem with 1.9.14.
Have the same problem with my 2 kobo touch...
I just downgrade them back in 1.9.14, and the problem is no more.

Some people in the AlexandriZ forum have the same problem than me.
azbdsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:54 AM   #120
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by azbdsf
But the biggest problem... is the ghosting
I agree. There is more ghosting than before. I always had my setting to 6 before, but that isn't good enough now.

I also notice fairly often that when I bring up a popup to select the dictionary, that the text is quite weak and ghosted. It never did that before.

Below is an example of the popup when it's good and when it's bad. That isn't bad camera focussing in that bad picture either. This doesn't happen every time, it's just once in a while - but it new since the new firmware for me.

See how you can hardly see the dots between selections in the bad picture?
Does anyone else have this problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	good.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	430.4 KB
ID:	80393   Click image for larger version

Name:	bad.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	376.3 KB
ID:	80394  
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote