Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 10-28-2011, 05:02 PM   #1
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
Question PRS 350 & PRS+: Changing LRF-fonts permanently

My wishes:

I try to change the SYSTEM fonts permanently. Followed this instruction:
http://code.google.com/p/prs-plus/wiki/HowToCustomFonts
I put the 3 system fonts in a folder on the root of the reader.

Fonts changed: tt0003m_.ttf

Problem:

Changing works +- But when restarting the reader, problems arise:

-reader is booting very long
-after rebooting every note made in books, actual pages, bookmarks, ... are deleted
-interface is messed up (wrong icons, missing text). After opening a book and closing it, interface is OK. Even the new font is present.
-On rebooting once more every note etc. is deleted...

Thanks for having an idea what's wrong and helping!

A.

Last edited by Analogus; 10-28-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:14 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's not actually worth it to change the system fonts. Just put them back. LRF is dead. Let it stay dead.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2011, 05:35 PM   #3
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

LRF is dead, that's right. But changing tt0003m_.ttf changes the interface-font. That's what I want.

Reason:
I try to use a more NARROW font. The original font sometimes is too large. Especially in table of content of books relevant words are cut making the list unusable. A more narrow font partly solve this problem.

A.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
quisvir
Addict
quisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle PW2
Instead of changing the interface fonts, you could also customize the font sizes & styles used in the interface. When making a custom build of PRS+, you can do so by modifying \firmware\350\resources\scripts\kbookAssets.xml. That file contains nearly all the relevant definitions.
quisvir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:23 AM   #5
Analogus
Fanatic

Ojojoj... thats a huge file. Maybe you can give me some hints...

I'm searching for the part which defines the FONTSIZE of the larger titles (large book titles in list view; large text in book list in goto; file names in browsing folders)

Could that be the right place?
Line 34:
Code:
<style id="kbookBigTitle" halign="left" size="36" style="bold" color="#FFFFFF"/>
So '36' is the font size I presume.

But there also exists kbookSmallTitle which have the size 36 (?)

A.
Advert
Old 10-29-2011, 06:53 AM   #6
quisvir
Addict
quisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animals

#FFFFFF is white, and large book titles are displayed in black (#000000). Other than that, I'm afraid it's just a matter of trial and error

But the names are usually quite descriptive, and the definitions are grouped, so I'm sure you'll find the ones you want to change.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:29 AM   #7
Analogus
Fanatic

Thanks, I will try

Just one question if you can help:

Do you have an idea why the first attempt doesn't work?

I found out, that there is a linkin the original folder of the firmware additional to the 3 fonts. It points to /opt1/dict/SWNMTeb.ttc

In that folder NOTHING can be found (?). If I copy this LINK additional to the 3 font-files in the same folder (which will be mounted at restart) problems partly vanish: no messing up with interface and deleted bookmarks. But:
There is no text visible in the dictionary anymore!

Also described here:
http://code.google.com/p/prs-plus/issues/detail?id=142
There also is mentioned a solution (?) in just copying a file named SWNMTeb.ttc instead of the link. A cannot find such a file, not in the firmware nor over the internet.

Once I tried to make my own firmware. I changed one of the fonts – same issue: no text visible in the dictionary.

Besides: I even tried to take the original Sony fonts and mounted it. Same issue: no text in the dictionary. So it shouldn’t be the fonts.

What I cannot understand is the reason of a lot of links in the original firmware pointing to empty folders.

Okay, that's a long question – but maybe you have some ideas.

Thanks,

A.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:26 AM   #8
quisvir
Addict

Sorry, can't help you there. The way Sony handles its internal fonts is a mystery to me - although I've never looked into it.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:28 AM   #9
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Hi Analogus,

how do you judge that there are empty folders?
By looking into the folder-structure of new_opt.img?
If so, you are missing a big point of the linux file-system.

Linux file systems are mounted together at runtime from various sources.
For dictionaries this is the $dev$mtdblock11 (VFAT) which holds the physical data and holds a file SWNMTeb.ttc with some 10MB size.

You can dump this block with ebook_msc.exe from porkupan/borodas russification pack, and extract the content with a Disk-Image-Editor like WinImage.

On the other hand you should try to mount only a single font-file and not the whole font folder, thus leaving the link intact.

HTH
Mark
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:47 AM   #10
Analogus
Fanatic

THAT'S what I didn't know but suspected!
Yes, I just look into new_opt.img.

Whenever I mounted just ONE font the reader CRASHED (to be clear: i mounted the folder with just ONE font inside). So I think man have to put in ALL the fonts.
Is there a different way to mount ONE SINGLE FONT and not the folder itself?

Thanks for your patience!
Old 10-29-2011, 09:00 AM   #11
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Why not?

I used this with my PRS-505 for ages.

Code:
cp /Data/tt0011m_.ttf /tmp
mount --bind /tmp/tt0011m_.ttf /opt/sony/ebook/FONT/tt0011m_.ttf
Old 10-29-2011, 09:31 AM   #12
Analogus
Fanatic

Thank you very much!

That's the solution I'm searching for. Will try it when back home. Besides: Is there a special reason for copying the file in the first step into a temp-folder?

A.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:58 AM   #13
Mark Nord
2B || !2B

As far as I understand (and I'm not into Linux) /Data/ = the internal memory (IM) of the reader gets mounted/dismounted during startup. So it isn't 100% save to bind from IM.
OTOH also the gurus (kartu, boroda) suggest to bind huge (mainly asian) fonts direct from IM instead of copying them to /tmp/ (which might be a kind of ram-disk - but that hasn't to say much with only flash-memory in the device)
Old 10-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #14
Analogus
Fanatic

Sadly the mounting with one font doesn't work on the PRS350 at all. I give up...

Last edited by Analogus; 10-29-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:08 PM   #15
Mark Nord
2B || !2B

How Strange!

Is the font-file prepared accordingly?
Not only the file-name, also the font-name within the ttf-file matters.