Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-11-2011, 10:18 AM   #16
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenunya View Post
Not only do I not fully get the point of these social networking sites and features, I do have a concern that within a handful of years from now, they are going to be used to hire and fire employees, political and social witch hunts and any number of small-town style clique-like things. I'm saying this looking from the outside in so I might just not have enough understanding of these services....SNIPPED...
Its already here. Court cases abound. Companies are being hired to perform social media "searches" as part of employee background checks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/21/te...rdle.html?_r=1

And no, I don't do fb. Or twitter. Nor do I ever post using my real name. FWIW.
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:23 AM   #17
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Absolutely people are being fired for social networking stuff. I recall one case where a teacher had smoked (legal) pot in a foreign country, the picture went up online (not on her Facebook, but a friend of hers), and she was fired for setting a bad example for her students.

We recommend to students that they not post anything online that will get them fired, but eventually there will have to be some legal protections simply because it's SO easy to snap a picture of someone and post it online. Coke employees shouldn't have to live their lives in fear of drinking a Pepsi because it could get on the internet.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2011, 01:37 PM   #18
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I keep my FB settings set to private and make sure to turn off all the "Allow everyone to see everything" settings whenever they are changed.

And I post about my dogs, garden, and hot peppers. Very damanging stuff.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:37 PM   #19
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Wow! That's a 'feature' that sets new standards for being useless, while at the same time being counter-productive. Why would I care how many people highlighted random passages in "Eat, Pray, Love"? And if I want you to know I've read a book, I'll tell you, maybe, if you ask, or I feel moved to review it. I won't share my inmost feelings with you, thank you very much.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:46 AM   #20
disney_mommy
Ebook fanatic
disney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you don't want to see it, turn it off. Go to "Settings" and turn off the "Popular Highlights" setting. It's on the 2nd page of "Settings".
Oh good grief, thank you! I had no idea I could do that.
disney_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2011, 06:31 AM   #21
Skibble
Runs With Scissors
Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Absolutely people are being fired for social networking stuff. I recall one case where a teacher had smoked (legal) pot in a foreign country, the picture went up online (not on her Facebook, but a friend of hers), and she was fired for setting a bad example for her students.
I've seen a number of teachers fired for things posted online, including one who appeared in a photograph someone else took at a 4th of July BBQ. This someone else posted the picture on FB along with other photos from the BBQ, and tagged the teacher's name as appearing in the picture. Unfortunately for the teacher, the photo showed her holding a beer bottle. She had no idea the picture was taken, and no idea it was posted, as she didn't have a FB.

Social media. Can be fun, but can also be dangerous.
Skibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:42 AM   #22
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibble View Post
I've seen a number of teachers fired for things posted online, including one who appeared in a photograph someone else took at a 4th of July BBQ. This someone else posted the picture on FB along with other photos from the BBQ, and tagged the teacher's name as appearing in the picture. Unfortunately for the teacher, the photo showed her holding a beer bottle. She had no idea the picture was taken, and no idea it was posted, as she didn't have a FB.
What kind of school fires a teacher for drinking beer on her own time at a BBQ?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:50 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibble View Post
You've slightly lost me there. Since when has it been a sackable offence to "hold a beer bottle"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:09 AM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
You've slightly lost me there. Since when has it been a sackable offence to "hold a beer bottle"?
It's not.
Now if the picture showed her with a crowd of her under-age students all holding beer bottles, well... that's different.

But frankly, if it was an innocent (non-lewd) picture of a teacher holding a beer bottle in a private setting... then I just don't believe the story. Period. If the teacher was truly fired, then there were other reasons in addition to a single beer-bottle picture. Perhaps she signed a contract that had a no alcohol clause for a job with private and/or church-affiliated school?

Not that I think Facebook is even remotely cool, though.

I too, have neither a Facebook, nor a Twitter account, so I've noticed no "creepy" aspects of the newly designed Amazon pages whatsoever. Which leads me to believe that any and all creepiness begins and ends with the aforementioned social networking sites themselves.

Don't want to be stalked on the internet? Don't lie down with stalkers.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:24 AM   #25
Skibble
Runs With Scissors
Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
What kind of school fires a teacher for drinking beer on her own time at a BBQ?
A private school with a lot of fear that parents will find its teachers inappropriate role models, it seems.

DiapDealer, I am sorry that you feel I am telling falsehoods. While I would love to provide you with "evidence" of what I posted, I'm afraid the BBQ case was not fought out in the press. However, what happened in this case is not unique. Look up Ashley Payne. She was a teacher forced to resign in Georgia for having private Facebook photos of her on vacation holding alcohol, as well as talking about a place called "Crazy Bitch Bingo." Here's just one of numerous articles out there about her experience.

Last edited by Skibble; 08-15-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:35 AM   #26
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibble
DiapDealer, I am sorry that you feel I am telling falsehoods.
Sorry Skibble, I didn't mean to suggest you were lying. I just assumed you were relaying a story you heard somewhere.

However, your further explanation sort of falls right in with what I was saying.

Quote:
A private school with a lot of fear that parents will find its teachers inappropriate role models, it seems.
I'm sure there was wording somewhere in her employment contract that held her to a higher standard regarding alcohol and/or "propriety" than most public school contracts. If you know you can't abide by your employer's expectations, why take the job?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-15-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:13 AM   #27
Skibble
Runs With Scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Sorry Skibble, I didn't mean to suggest you were lying. I just assumed you were relaying a story you heard somewhere.

However, your further explanation sort of falls right in with what I was saying.

I'm sure there was wording somewhere in her employment contract that held her to a higher standard regarding alcohol and/or "propriety" than most public school contracts. If you know you can't abide by your employer's expectations, why take the job?
I apologize as well, for misunderstanding. You have an excellent point about the contract -- I don't know what was in the contract of the teacher at the BBQ. If there was an alcohol clause, that may very well have been the primary issue.

From what I understand about the Ashley Payne case, there was only an ambiguous clause about proper behavior in her contract. If that is true, then she will probably win the suit she is bringing in court.

But to bring this back around to thread topic -- all this is simply fuel to my "keep your social media away from my ebook/ereader accounts" fire. I hope store and ereader design doesn't keep moving in this direction -- at least not unless the option to turn it all off is preserved!
Old 08-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #28
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibble
But to bring this back around to thread topic -- all this is simply fuel to my "keep your social media away from my ebook/ereader accounts" fire. I hope store and ereader design doesn't keep moving in this direction -- at least not unless the option to turn it all off is preserved!
Not having a social media account is the ultimate "off" button.
I'm not troubled at all by Facebook or Twitter nonsense on my Amazon (or any other) account.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:17 PM   #29
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've been to private schools where they would most definitely sack a teacher for drinking beer. I have also seen teachers fired from private schools for being photographed at gay pride rallies.

Quote:
If you know you can't abide by your employer's expectations, why take the job?
Because some things aren't any of the employer's business. If every employer in the country banded together and came up with a contract that THOU SHALT NOT HAVE SEX FOR IT IS A BAD INFLUENCE ON THE CHILDRENS, should we all choose between screwing and starving?

This is the employment version of the "if you don't like it, leave" argument, and it is no less silly in an employment context than it was in a community context.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:19 PM   #30
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Not having a social media account is the ultimate "off" button.
I'm not troubled at all by Facebook or Twitter nonsense on my Amazon (or any other) account.
No, it isn't. Teachers are being fired for things posted on other people's accounts. The problem isn't Facebook -- the problem is the lack of laws to protect people from inappropriate contract clauses.

EDIT: Unless we're strictly referring to the Amazon account stuff. Which it seems you were. Disregard my fervor, in that case.

Tags
amazon, kindle, social networking