Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-11-2011, 10:23 PM   #1
ShanMcG
ShanMcG doesn't litterShanMcG doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 & Nook Color
Newbie Alert

So I'm hoping to root my Nook Color tomorrow but there are a few things I am unsure of that I was hoping you experts could clarify for me. Patience my friends, I am new to this rooting business.

-I'd like to boot from my SD card because it seems a little less 'permanent' and easier to fix if something goes wrong. Is this thinking correct? What method would you recommend?

-I bought a 16gb microSD card thinking 'bigger is better' but I am wondering that if once the booting software if on there, if I'll even be able to save and access my own media files on it. Does the SD card become 'dedicated?'

Thanks all.
ShanMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:28 AM   #2
Noob Saibot
Noob Saibot began at the beginning.

Device: nookColor
It all depends on how far you want to go down the rabbit hole. XDA has all the files and you can make your own image if clever enough (I'm not that clever anymore). You can also just download an image file already made, but these might not come in the card size you have (I think most are 2 or 8 Gb). Think partitions. You can partition a 1Tb hard drive to be 200Gb and waste the rest. That's what happens with these images. So if there's only an 8Gb image, the rest of your card is ignored.
HOWEVER to finally answer your question; whatever is not used in the image by OS is yours to use as you wish (just not maybe all of your card). Good luck!
Noob Saibot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #3
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanMcG View Post
So I'm hoping to root my Nook Color tomorrow but there are a few things I am unsure of that I was hoping you experts could clarify for me. Patience my friends, I am new to this rooting business.

-I'd like to boot from my SD card because it seems a little less 'permanent' and easier to fix if something goes wrong. Is this thinking correct? What method would you recommend?

-I bought a 16gb microSD card thinking 'bigger is better' but I am wondering that if once the booting software if on there, if I'll even be able to save and access my own media files on it. Does the SD card become 'dedicated?'

Thanks all.
Go to and read these threads, don't have to read all of the first one below but if you follow the instructions in first post you will be fine. The second link is concerning SD cards. Some work much better than others. If you can get a Sandisk class 4 you will have no problems. IMO 8gb is plenty. You can also use your Nooks memory for things if needed.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1000957

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1005633
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:33 AM   #4
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:

http://quinxy.com/2011/04/01/complet...he-nook-color/
Quote:
Thanks all.
When you finish the installation to the SD card the card will have 4 partitions on it. There will be a FAT32 boot partition, 2 Linux partitions, and finally a FAT32 SD partition. The final FAT32 SD partition is yours to do with as you please. You will have to expand that final FAT32 partition to include your entire SD card, but that is quick and painless to do if you have and know how to use the right disk utility software. The final 'gotcha' is that the FAT32 SD partition will not be visible to Windows( if that is what you use?) because Windows will only see the first active partition which is the boot partition in this case. However, Android will export that partition as a USB drive when you connect your Android device to Windows via USB and activate USB storage when it becomes available in the status bar. You can also use a program like MyPhoneExplorer to access your FAT32 SD partiton via WiFi, Bluetooth, or USB.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:17 PM   #5
ShanMcG
ShanMcG doesn't litterShanMcG doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 & Nook Color
Thanks everyone!! All went well.
ShanMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2011, 12:53 AM   #6
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have a stupid question. After writing the generic-sdcard.img to the micro SD card using WinImage, and downloading the nightly build CM7 (cm_encore_full-xxx.zip) file, are you supposed to unzip the nightly build CM7 file first, or just copy the zip file as-is (still zipped) onto the SD card?

Stupid question #2: Will doing the above enable bluetooth? or would I need to use this one instead: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=989637

?

Last edited by toronado; 06-16-2011 at 01:25 AM.
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:45 AM   #7
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by toronado View Post
I have a stupid question. After writing the generic-sdcard.img to the micro SD card using WinImage, and downloading the nightly build CM7 (cm_encore_full-xxx.zip) file, are you supposed to unzip the nightly build CM7 file first, or just copy the zip file as-is (still zipped) onto the SD card?
Leave it zipped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toronado View Post
Stupid question #2: Will doing the above enable bluetooth? or would I need to use this one instead: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=989637
?
All the current versions of CM7 have working Bluetooth. Sort of.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:07 AM   #8
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Shan. Happy e-reading and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote