Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 06-09-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
parodi
parodi began at the beginning.

Device: entourage pocket edge
Power Off Tablet Side?

I just got my PE today. I read the manual. I searched this forum. but I still can't find out how to power off the tablet side in order to save the battery while using the reader side. I thought I read that it had this feature in some literature about it. Can this be done?
parodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:46 PM   #2
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
you can't really power it off, as they are both the same device technically, you can however turn of the tablet screen to save power. To do this I recommend either using the app that came with it called screen lock. The other option is to add the power widget to the home screen(you can add widgets by tapping and holding on the home screen), the widget has an option to turn off the screen.

No matter which app you use, to turn back on the tablet screen all you have to do is press the menu button.

Hope this helps!
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2011, 12:42 AM   #3
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Hi Parodi, welcome!

I have the Power widget on my homescreen and use it all the time. The lock icon turns off the tablet side screen, the lightbulb icon keeps the tablet screen on until you turn it off, the wifi icon turns the wifi on and off (very handy for saving power) and the sun icon gives you 3 levels of brightness.

Enjoy!!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:55 AM   #4
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie
Last_of_the_PEs began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage PE
The best thing about turning off the LCD is that it allows you to fold the unit back completely and rest your fingers against the LCD without running anything.
Saving power is a nice bonus.
Last_of_the_PEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:15 AM   #5
pyxiwulf
Connoisseur
pyxiwulf began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
you know what would be nice though, if there were some way to do something parallel to what I do with my netbook when reading books on it. Once the book is opened in my reader program, the data is in RAM and I have the HDD set to power down to conserve power. Since the tablet and the eink on the Edge are running off the same memory (which of course is a different tech than my platter HDD so this may be totally an impossible pipe dream no matter how amazing a programmer one is, I dunno) it keeps the tablet still functioning to a point, awake with screen off instead of asleep or hibernating. Being able to separate the memory pulls would jack up the battery life for eink use like crazy.
pyxiwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Well... the eDGe doesn't really have. A hard drive per se, it's all solid state, and as such it doesn't really use Michael power at all. I think the main power drains when using the eink are the touch sensor and the processor. I don't know what we could or would do about the touch, but the processor could be significantly more underclocked when reading, not as much when writing though.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:49 AM   #7
yugami
Connoisseur
yugami began at the beginning.

Device: PRS+950
I wonder if it would be possible to throttle the CPU way down when the screen turns off then have a program monitor the wacom input device for chatter and use the CPU throttling to go up and down
yugami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:35 PM   #8
emusan
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by yugami View Post
I wonder if it would be possible to throttle the CPU way down when the screen turns off then have a program monitor the wacom input device for chatter and use the CPU throttling to go up and down
That sounds like quite the project lol, it would be nice but I don't think that it will be too doable any time soon...
Old 06-13-2011, 02:46 PM   #9
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie

The battery on my PE seems to last pretty much all day with normal use, and it isn't a huge imposition to carry around the small original charger now that I've cobbled-together several others that stay plugged in (sorry eco-nuts!).

For me, messing with the CPU to save a bit more power is addressing a non-problem. As long as I can use the eInk side with the LCD turned off, I'm good, because it's the LCD that consumes the bulk of the power. Probably even more than the WiFi and Bluetooth radios, although that's just a guess.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:51 PM   #10
pyxiwulf
Connoisseur

I'd be happy with 18-26 hours of battery life using mostly (95%) eink only. Having to plug it in every night is annoying the spoiled lady here That and the limited lifetime of the device makes me desperate for drawing out as many cycles out of the battery as I can.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:02 PM   #11
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie

I remember when thirty minutes was the "magic number", then it was an hour, then two. Now it's EIGHTEEN? I appreciate that user demand keeps pushing technology -- it creates jobs.

Maybe this is part of why the eDGe didn't catch on? With eInk that won't run as long as a Kindle, the tablet wasn't an attractive enough trade-off? I saw the PE as a way to get into a quickly-evolving tablet market AND acquire a useable eInk device, all at an attractive price.

I knew going in that having an LCD tablet would impact the battery life, resulting in less time that I'd get from a Kindle or other strictly eInk device. I considered it a plus to be able to read INDOORS as well as outdoors and carry one device that could serve more functions and integrate the two screens.

Ideally, I know we all want wafer-thin devices that adjust to whatever light conditions we encounter, that run forever powered by the earth's magnetic field and run every program ever written faster than we need while communicating wirelessly with every device we ever buy. It's good to want.

I appreciate what I've GOT because I remember what I HAD! But I only use about 10% eInk, so my usage profile is quite different. I can see where 5% isn't enough to offset the disadvantage. Maybe a separate Kindle-type device is in order?

Last edited by Last_of_the_PEs; 06-13-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:40 PM   #12
pyxiwulf
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last_of_the_PEs View Post
I saw the PE as a way to get into a quickly-evolving tablet market AND acquire a useable eInk device, all at an attractive price.
That's exactly why I bought in. Doesn't mean I can't dream of what could be done with an amazing programmer who has the time and desire. I'll get a kindle eventually, it'll have to wait awhile though since the PE used the money I saved up for it. I love the thing to death, and not only do I hope someone may come along that might be able to tweak things here and there for us, but having spent time in market research, I also know who's reading these forums and hope someone gets a bee in their bonnet
Old 06-13-2011, 07:12 PM   #13
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
I'm looking at a device and the kindle crowd is poo-pooing it because the batteries only last a week or two. Seriously? You can't plug your device in once a friggin' week?

Personally speaking, if I had a device that lasted a month between charges, do you think I'd EVER know where my power cord was??
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:22 PM   #14
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie

Wouldn't it be great if we had a technology with ONE PLUG that would communicate with the attached device, determine what voltage, polarity etc. was needed and just supply it? In my electronics parts collection I have at least eighty power supplies! I'm dead serious. Every conceivable connector, pin size, hole size, voltage, polarity, AC/DC, current capacity... it's INSANE! Powering small electronics has become a total cat rodeo, and not in a good way. I suppose the consumer public has allowed it, but still, it seems like there should be a better solution.

And why don't we finally say NO to "wall warts"? They eat two or more outlets EACH -- it's idiotic. There is no reason a cord cannot be attached to a power supply at both ends.

...but I rant...
Old 06-13-2011, 08:17 PM   #15
mord77me
mord77me began at the beginning.

Device: entourage pocket edge
Here is another "power" question. What am I doing wrong? The alarms that I set will not go off unless my PE is actually on. The volume is all the way up, but if it is closed and in my briefcase they won't go off. What can i be missing?
mord77me is offline   Reply With Quote