Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-07-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
jesscat
Groupie
jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad mini, iPad 2, Kindle 3
Quick navigation in book list?

Not sure this is the right subforum for this question, but it seems logical so...

Is there a way to quickly navigate to a section of the book list?

I have over a thousand books in the list, and sometimes I want to just immediately get to a certain author, or even just to the authors whose last names begin with "N" (for example, and assuming I'm currently sorted by author LN,FN), without doing a search. Like in iTunes (and please understand that I am not comparing iTunes to Calibre - just using this as an example!!), if I have my song list sorted by Artist and I hit the "N" key, it will immediately take me to the first song with an artist name beginning with "N"; if I have my song list sorted by Song Name, it will take me to the first song with a song name beginning with N.

This doesn't work in Calibre - some of the letter keys already have shortcuts associated with them - but is there any way to quickly and easily get to a section of the book list, or navigate through the book list, other than scrolling by hand with mouse or cursor? This is something I do frequently and each time I do it I wonder if there's a more efficient way that I don't know about!
jesscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's what the Tag Browser is for.

If you want to use the keyboard, I'd suggest using search.

Type

/author:~^N

to get a list of all authors with N
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
jesscat
Groupie
jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Well, searching (or using the tag browser, which is just another form of searching, right?) removes from the book list window all but the searched-for books, and there are times I want to go to the "Ns" while still being able to see the "Ms" and the "Os," or whatever - i.e., still being able to see all the books. That's why I was asking about navigating to a point in the full list rather than searching.

That being said, it's true that there are times I scroll when a search would accomplish the result I want. I'm not in the habit of using search as much as I should and that's something I can work on.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
jesscat
Groupie

Another question: I have author sort as LN, FN (and in tag browser, "N" authors are those whose last names begin with N), but your search expression gives me authors whose first names begin with N. Any idea why this might be?
Old 02-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesscat View Post
Well, searching (or using the tag browser, which is just another form of searching, right?) removes from the book list window all but the searched-for books, and there are times I want to go to the "Ns" while still being able to see the "Ms" and the "Os," or whatever - i.e., still being able to see all the books. That's why I was asking about navigating to a point in the full list rather than searching.
Check the 'highlight' box next to the search box. All books will be listed with the books matching the search highlighted. The 'N' key takes you to next one. F3 takes you to the previous one. The highlight box works with all searches, including those initiated from the tag browser.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2011, 01:41 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use author_sort: instead of author: in your search expression.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:23 PM   #7
jesscat
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Check the 'highlight' box next to the search box. All books will be listed with the books matching the search highlighted. The 'N' key takes you to next one. F3 takes you to the previous one. The highlight box works with all searches, including those initiated from the tag browser.
Thank you so much! This is one of those features I didn't know about, and it's very helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Use author_sort: instead of author: in your search expression.
Feeling like an idiot - sorry for the dumb question, thanks!
Old 02-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #8
delic89enius
delic89enius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I have a similar question. I am brand new to Calibre, and it is an AMAZING tool, so thank you for it!

I also have thousands of book records in my library. I am in the process of cleaning up my library systematically. To do this, I use search quite frequently, but once I am finished with my search and I clear that search, it would be nice if Calibre didn't return me to the very beginning of my library. I would like Calibre to return to the same record I had highlighted when I cleared my search. So for example, if my search/filter turns up 3 records, organized by author:

Jane Doe
Jenny Doe
John Doe *highlighted*

If I highlight *John Doe* and then hit the Reset Quick Search button, I would like to be returned to *John Doe*, about halfway through my unfiltered library list, rather than Abby Adams at the very top of my unfiltered library list. This would eliminate a lot of unnecessary scrolling.

Is there a setting or plugin that allows this? Thank you.
delic89enius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #9
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by delic89enius View Post
If I highlight *John Doe* and then hit the Reset Quick Search button, I would like to be returned to *John Doe*, about halfway through my unfiltered library list, rather than Abby Adams at the very top of my unfiltered library list. This would eliminate a lot of unnecessary scrolling.

I wanted to add this to my "Walk Search History" plugin. Unfortunately there is no signal emitted (currently at least) to indicate that a search is about to be performed which would provide me an opportunity to snapshot which rows you had selected so that going "back" could restore them.

AFAIK there is no way to do what you ask without changes to the Calibre source code. I suggest you raise it as a feature request in the Calibre bug tracker and see what the response is.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:09 PM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by delic89enius View Post

Try using the 'highlight' option of search. With this option, when you clear the search, the window is not scrolled.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:12 PM   #11
delic89enius
delic89enius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thank you both for your response!
delic89enius is offline   Reply With Quote