Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-13-2010, 07:40 AM   #1
ludo1980
ludo1980 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Question How to remove margins in Pdf?

Hi everybody!
I can't explain this...I've read all the topics about removing margins on pdf in the forum, I've tried sopdf and it worked great. Everything is perfect, but when I put the modified pdf (with all the margins cropped) into my kindle 2 with calibre, I'm still viewing all the margin on my kindle screen! Why? Also tried the little hack of HORIZONTAL_MARGIN on the reader.pref file as explained here, but nothing changed for pdfs.

Thanks for your precious help!
ludo1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
The kindle 2&3 automatically crop the margins and auto-fit the PDF for you, so tools like soPDF don't help much, unless you us them to modify the layout.

What is happening is the PDF you are modifying is too tall for the kindle screen so as the shrinks the page the margin increase. soPDF has a feature to maximize the width and concatinate the hieght
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2010, 10:06 AM   #3
baccilus
Enthusiast
baccilus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
I have tried the same thing with BRISS. But even thought the margins are cut, the Kindle itself adds them while viewing. I don't know why they have this useless feature.
baccilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Kindle will already crop whitespace in fit-to-screen or fit-to-width zoom mode. So there's not much to be gained by cropping the whitespace only - unless you are using the other zoom modes, which do not auto-crop whitespace.

Where cropping adds value is when you crop the (more or less redundant) headers and footers. Then the content you are interested in reading can be zoomed in further and can usually utilize more of Kindle's limited real estate (depending on the relative aspect ratio of the document and Kindles viewing area).

The Kindle PDF viewer establishes fixed margins of 25 pixels on left, top, and right sides, and 55 pixels on the bottom (where reading progress is shown). In general the margins are larger than this on left/right because the aspect ratio of the document is usually 'taller' than that of the viewing area. It would be nice if there were a full-screen mode that dispensed with all or most of these fixed margins along with the reading progress, but PDF viewing of (mostly) letter or A4 size documents on Kindle's much smaller screen is never going to be ideal.

Last edited by tomsem; 12-13-2010 at 02:45 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:59 PM   #5
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
try using the landscape mode when reading your cropped PDFs (set to "fit-to-width")
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 08:13 AM   #6
ludo1980
ludo1980 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
The kindle 2&3 automatically crop the margins and auto-fit the PDF for you, so tools like soPDF don't help much, unless you us them to modify the layout.

What is happening is the PDF you are modifying is too tall for the kindle screen so as the shrinks the page the margin increase. soPDF has a feature to maximize the width and concatinate the hieght
Wonderful! It works now, using "fix2x height" options on sopdf (plus reverse landscape). Yes, each pdf is different from one other, and the A4 size it's not the best for kindle screen. But sometimes conversions are worst then cropping pages in two parts.

Thanks a lot :-)
ludo1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:19 PM   #7
walleeva
walleeva began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I used this tool - Pdf Scissors to cut the pdf margins for kindle. It's quite cool.
walleeva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pdf ebooks, pdf format, pdf margins