Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 01-10-2011, 09:47 AM   #46
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzvix View Post
How to write accented letters in nookcolor virtual keyboard?

Simple: just "long-press" (press and keep pressed) each virtual key. (á à ã ä â, ç, etc..)

It will show accented characters available, so pick one.
Very helpful!!!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:21 AM   #47
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzvix View Post
How to write accented letters in nookcolor virtual keyboard?

Simple: just "long-press" (press and keep pressed) each virtual key. (á à ã ä â, ç, etc..)

It will show accented characters available, so pick one.
that is very cool. thanks
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 08:05 PM   #48
love2read1357
love2read1357 doesn't litterlove2read1357 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Since we can't place sideloaded content onto the homescreen here's a way to gain quick access to several books/periodicals/docs you're reading without using the homescreen drop down list.

Do this after you have created all of your shelves.

Access My Shelves. Sort by Most Recent. Create a new shelf, Current Reads or something similar. Place all of the books/periodicals/docs that you're currently reading on this shelf. Your current reads always appear as the first shelf, making it easy for you to grab from your current reading pile.

If you have to add other shelves down the road, thus making Current Reads no longer the most recent one, delete the shelf and start the above process again. Don't forget to sort by Most Recent.
I sort my shelves by title but any shelves I want to keep at the top just add a symbol in front of the shelf title. So instead of Currently Reading it looks like * Currently Reading. Adding the symbol first keeps it on top no matter what the first letter is. Therefore there is no need to delete a shelf and start over when you want to keep it on top.

This method works very well for Kindle Collections as well.
love2read1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:19 PM   #49
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2read1357 View Post
I sort my shelves by title but any shelves I want to keep at the top just add a symbol in front of the shelf title. So instead of Currently Reading it looks like * Currently Reading. Adding the symbol first keeps it on top no matter what the first letter is. Therefore there is no need to delete a shelf and start over when you want to keep it on top.

This method works very well for Kindle Collections as well.
So glad you shared this! I'm no longer using the stock library, but this is good to know regardless.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:13 AM   #50
trj121
trj121 began at the beginning.

Device: ColorNook (rooted)
I am new but wanted to say thanks for all the great tips. I am using many of them and plan to try a few more. This site is great, long time reader first time poster! Thanks again
trj121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 04:45 PM   #51
sunseeker
sunseeker began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I have consulted the NC User Guide (which leaves a lot to be desired), the 'Net and still can't quite get the hang of things. So, at the risk of asking dumb questions here goes...How do I get my PDF documents, pictures, etc. to the Nook? I have Adobe Digital Open, I see my device, but all I've been able to do thus far is download library books and return them. Also, I am reading Eat, Pray, Love. When I hold my finger over a word I want to look up the definition there is no response. In other books it works just fine. Is this function not supported in all books? I am getting very frustrated. Normally I have no problems figuring out computer issues.
sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:21 AM   #52
love2read1357

Hi Sunseeker,

It's not a dumb question, we are all trying to learn together. I have a Windows Vista computer so I don't know if this changes with a Mac.

The only thing I use Adobe Digital Editions for is adding books (EPub's or PDF books) onto my NC. If you want to add other things like pictures, wallpapers, etc... just use your Nook USB cord and plug your Nook into your computer. When you turn your Nook on you should have a new window pop-up showing your NC is connected and asking what you want to do. I choose the option Open Folder and View Files. You should see a Folder called My Files. Open that and you can see where you would add pictures and wallpapers. You can just open the file on your computer where your pictures, PDF's etc... are stored and either copy and paste into the correct Nook folder or drag and drop the file.

I also add PDF's that are in the form of Newletters with lots of articles and pictures. I just directly copy those into the Documents folder on my Nook.

If you have something that would look better if it was converted into a different format (like an unprotected PDF to and EPub) I use a free program called Calibre.

http://calibre-ebook.com/

Once it is converted you will be able to add to your Nook when you hook your Nook to the computer with Calibre open. You should see an option at the top of Calibre to Send to Device.

Make sure to close Calibre and then safely remove the Nook from your computer. Don't just unplug it.

To find it on your Nook, go into Library then My Files then either Books, Pictures or Documents etc. You can also go into My Shelves and click on Edit. You should be able to see any PDF's or books and add them to a shelf to find then easier.

Last edited by love2read1357; 01-14-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:22 AM   #53
wxgeek96
wxgeek96 will become famous soon enoughwxgeek96 will become famous soon enoughwxgeek96 will become famous soon enoughwxgeek96 will become famous soon enoughwxgeek96 will become famous soon enoughwxgeek96 will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor, iPod Touch (1G)
On a Mac, the Nook shows up as a disk called "media" (on Desktop and in Finder) when you plug in the USB and turn the NC on. Otherwise, it works the same as love2read1357 described.
wxgeek96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:56 AM   #54
sunseeker

Thank you so much for the help. After submitting this post a light bulb went on and I finally figured I should close ADE, plug the NC into the computer and find the files/pictures I wanted. In XP the device just showed up as Media in the my computer window. It didn't open so I successfully copy and pasted pictures directly onto the device, but of course they are in the wrong place. I assumed they would automatically go into the Gallery, but they did not. So now I have to figure out how to rearrange all the pics I added. I am a professional embroiderer. Oh, to have had this device a year ago! What a boon to my business to show my sample pictures in living color when I visit customers. It will be great if I can get the pics into the correct folder. I will work on that today. I am glad I didn't download music yet.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #55
sunseeker

I am reading Eat, Pray, Love on the NC. When I place my finger over a word to look it up the menu does not appear. It works in other books however. Are we unable to use the function in certain books? Again, thanks for your help!
Old 01-14-2011, 08:56 PM   #56
love2read1357

I'm not sure about BN books, I would think you could use the look up feature on all of those. But I have had some library books that I couldn't use the feature. I'm not sure if it works with library EPUB and possibly not with library PDF's. Most likely it was just something with that book.

I've also noticed on some library books that I can't change the font or background color.

So far every BN book has been fine though.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:56 AM   #57
anmanwar@aol.com
anmanwar@aol.com began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Hi all, newbie

Hi all, I just got a new Nook Color January 5th. I have managed to transfer some music ( itunes) files and some pictures from my computer to my nook color. I purchased a sd card and would love some help on how to put books I purchase on my sd card so I can trade back and forth with my sister who also has a nook color. We both purchased the same e reader thinking we could share books and then found out how limited the lend me books are with B & N. thanks!!! Annette (michigan)
anmanwar@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:46 AM   #58
WillRockwell
WillRockwell began at the beginning.

Device: Nook color
I've had my NC just a few days but have become a total convert. I bought it because we'll be living in Venice Italy the entire month of March, and I couldn't figure out how to take enough books and still leave room for socks. I am loading my Nook with books from the New York Public Library and the free and .99 cent books from BN, including several Venice travel guides. I've discovered that sometimes my finger is too cold to turn the pages with a touch, but a tap will do the job nicely.
WillRockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:44 AM   #59
harryzee
harryzee doesn't litterharryzee doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX with 3.2.1/Nook HD+ with internal 4.2.2
Pardon me if this has been asked and answered, but is there any way to remove the "Lend Me, New, Pre Order, and Download" banners from the upper right corner of the books displayed across the bottom of the NC screen?

I have included Pre Order and Download as there are some books where they stay even after that function is performed!

I don't lend and I know what is new so I find this more than annoying.

Thanks

Harry Zee
harryzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #60
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryzee View Post
Pardon me if this has been asked and answered, but is there any way to remove the "Lend Me, New, Pre Order, and Download" banners from the upper right corner of the books displayed across the bottom of the NC screen?

I have included Pre Order and Download as there are some books where they stay even after that function is performed!

I don't lend and I know what is new so I find this more than annoying.

Thanks

Harry Zee
No, there isn't a way to remove the banners. It would be nice if there was an option to show/hide banners.