Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-24-2010, 05:07 PM   #1
iamchenxin
iamchenxin began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Unhappy Why my kindle3 update itself automatic?i did not press any key.

my kindle is kindle wifi.
today. i download a firmware form amazon. i want update my kindle from 3.01 to 3.03.

i copy the bin to kindle. and eject kindle.
and then ,i connect kindle to computer again. and i find that ,the bin is disappear. the "update your kindle" is gray.(disabled ,i can not choose it)
i repeat this many times.

every time, the bin always disappear.

so , i think i can not update it . i fell sad, and i drink some water.

but suddenly when i see kindle again. i see its Version changed,from 3.01 to 3.03. i did not see any process of update. and i did not press any key.

why this happen? now kindle can update automatic?
iamchenxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:13 PM   #2
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
did you do a restart of the kindle. That will force the update.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2010, 05:22 PM   #3
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
It happened to me a few weeks ago, right after I emailed Amazon about a problem; my kindle got updated spontaneously from 3.0.0 to 3.0.1. Was quite surprised, but fixed my problem.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:33 PM   #4
iamchenxin

thanks.

yes , i did restart .

but why "update your kindle" is disabled? if restart can update. the "update your kindle" should not disabled.

and why the bin is disappear?
i copy the bin to kindle. but when i disconnect kindle,then connect it to computer again. the bin is disappear. and "update your kindle" is disabled.

i try this many times.
then i think maybe something wrong with filesystem. maybe kindle need reboot. so i reboot it.

Last edited by iamchenxin; 10-24-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:38 PM   #5
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have found that with the restart the update will happen and then the bin file will be deleted or if the update is not needed the bin file will be deleted. Seems to be an automatic process.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2010, 05:55 PM   #6
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
The update option in the menu is only for a manual update. The automatic update from Amazon doesn't need you to trigger it.

If the update menu option was greyed out then it means you either don't have an update there or it is not the correct update for that model Kindle. You can't apply older or the same update. You can only go to higher versions and only if it is the correct update file.

It is normal that it deletes the update file.

Last edited by Tiersten; 10-24-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:20 PM   #7
iamchenxin

it confuse me .

in my memory, i think when my kindle is 3.01 ,it always delete the bin"Update_kindle_3.0.3_B008".
after i failed many times . i reboot it . and it update automatic.

Thanks Again .
Old 10-25-2010, 02:41 AM   #8
Stonecold
Connoisseur
Stonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3 (B006)
I have the opposite problem! I've never gotten a single OTA update...
Stonecold is offline   Reply With Quote