Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-18-2016, 11:39 AM   #1
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Avoid syncing with new Kobo ereader?

I'll be new to using a Kobo ereader. I plan to switch from my Sony ereaders to the new Kobo Aura One. Right now, Adobe/DRM ebooks are downloaded to Sony PC Reader software and Kobo ebooks to Calibre. Then the ebooks can manually loaded to my ereaders.

What is the best way to set things up so that ebooks (both Kobo and DRM) can be manually downloaded to software and NOT by automatic syncing? Then use the software to manually load ebooks to a USB wired (non-wifi) Kobo Aura One?

Thanks!

Last edited by petercreasey; 08-18-2016 at 11:46 AM.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:44 AM   #2
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
I'll be new to using a Kobo ereader. I plan to switch from my Sony ereaders to the new Kobo Aura One.

What is the best way to set things up so that ebooks (both Kobo and DRM) can be downloaded to the Kobo Aura One manually and NOT by automatic syncing?

Thanks!
Turn off syncing under Settings.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:55 AM   #3
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
You can also download books from Kobo store to your computer then transfer books from your computer to your ereader using ADE (Adobe Digital Edition).
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:04 PM   #4
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Turn off syncing under Settings.
Kate, I assume that you mean to turn off syncing on the Kobo ereader, right?
Old 08-18-2016, 12:05 PM   #5
petercreasey
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
You can also download books from Kobo store to your computer then transfer books from your computer to your ereader using ADE (Adobe Digital Edition).
f, okay, that will be fine.

How will I tell kobo.com to use ADE instead of what it uses now, Sony PC Reader?
Old 08-18-2016, 12:12 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
f, okay, that will be fine.

How will I tell kobo.com to use ADE instead of what it uses now, Sony PC Reader?
You can do away with any Sony software. It doesn't work with Kobo Readers. Just use ADE and Calibre.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:52 PM   #7
petercreasey
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can do away with any Sony software. It doesn't work with Kobo Readers. Just use ADE and Calibre.
J, I believe you're saying uninstall the Sony software; however, I was hoping to keep it around so I can still occasionally use my Sony ereaders.

Is there any way to make kobo.com use ADE instead of the Sony software for DRM/Adobe ebooks while Sony software is still around?
Old 08-18-2016, 01:50 PM   #8
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Kate, I assume that you mean to turn off syncing on the Kobo ereader, right?
Yep.

Extra verbiage due to stupid rules that won't let you post a short reply when a short reply is all that's necessary.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:29 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Is there any way to make kobo.com use ADE instead of the Sony software for DRM/Adobe ebooks while Sony software is still around?
I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this. I think you're asking how to make ADE download your Adobe DRM'd purchases instead of the Sony software? If yes, just open the .acsm file with ADE instead of with the Sony software (or set ADE as the default application for that file type in your computers OS). Yes, you can keep the Sony software around if you want to.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:39 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Yep.

Extra verbiage due to stupid rules that won't let you post a short reply when a short reply is all that's necessary.
Here is a tip.
5 character minimum.
So no need for extra verbiage. Yes is followed by 2 periods. No is followed by 3.
Welcome to the forums.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:05 PM   #11
petercreasey
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this. you can keep the Sony software around if you want to.
A, when I click on an adobe ebook at kobo.com now, it automatically loads Sony PC Reader. I don't get a chance to specify ADE.

So I'm wondering how it can be arranged that kobo.com opens ADE for adobe ebooks.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:16 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Well, to download an Adobe DRM'd eBook from Kobo you're downloading a .acsm ticket. If you're using Windows this is probably going to your downloads folder & depending on how your browser is setup it may automatically try and open the .acsm when the small download is complete. If this currently launches your Sony software then you have that software set as the default program to open .acsm files. That can be changed (again assuming Windows) by finding one of those .acsm tickets, check the folder where your browser saves downloads, and right clicking on one and selecting properties. A properties window will open and there will be a line that says "Opens with:" and list the default program along with a Change button. This is where you would change it to ADE.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:56 PM   #13
khalleron
Kate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Here is a tip.
5 character minimum.
So no need for extra verbiage. Yes is followed by 2 periods. No is followed by 3.
Welcome to the forums.
I've been here for years, thank you.

And Yes, I was being snarky because the rule is stupid.