Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-12-2012, 01:17 AM   #1
JanG
Groupie
JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Laptop; Kobo Clara
Why does it only work with Calibre?

I tried to side-load a converted (mobi to epub) non-DRM book to my NST and it wouldn't open. However, when I asked Calibre to load it for me it opened just fine. Other books that I side-load do not have a problem opening.

Can anyone tell me why?

Last edited by JanG; 11-12-2012 at 01:48 AM.
JanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:09 AM   #2
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
When you did the conversion, on the Page Setup tab, did you select the correct output profile for your device?
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:27 AM   #3
JanG
Groupie
JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
When you did the conversion, on the Page Setup tab, did you select the correct output profile for your device?
Yep, I did.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
When Calibre sends a book to the Nook, I believe that it sends the entire set of files that it has in the subdirectory for that book; it may even send the entire subdirectory as a subdirectory (I forget). Perhaps there is something about the way you are doing the Mobi conversion that makes it necessary to send all the Calibre files (e.g. cover.jpg, metadata files, etc), instead of just the .epub file (which is usually all you need).

I think you should play around with the Mobi conversion options (there are many, if I remember correctly).
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:59 PM   #5
JanG
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
When Calibre sends a book to the Nook, I believe that it sends the entire set of files that it has in the subdirectory for that book; it may even send the entire subdirectory as a subdirectory (I forget). Perhaps there is something about the way you are doing the Mobi conversion that makes it necessary to send all the Calibre files (e.g. cover.jpg, metadata files, etc), instead of just the .epub file (which is usually all you need).

I think you should play around with the Mobi conversion options (there are many, if I remember correctly).

That actually explains a lot, thank you. I noticed that Calibre had moved a folder and not just the ePub.

I don't think I'm savvy enough to mess with the mobi conversion options in Calibre, so I'll just leave it to Calibre if I have a problem in the future.