Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-02-2011, 04:42 AM   #1
timpearson26
Enthusiast
timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Does 'special offers' feature FORCE wifi/3g to turn on - affecting battery?

Prospective kindle buyer here... a question...

Does the 'special offers' feature of the kindle FORCE the wifi/3g on to download the latest advertisements? I was thinking if you don't use the wifi or 3g for a long period because, say, you are reading a long book, how would you get the updated advertisements or special offers downloaded to you device?

Also it says your kindle will display advertisement screen savers. Does this affect the batter life of the kindle by the screen saver always being on? For example, on my iPad, when I am done using it, I click the button at the top and the screen goes blank. When you are done with your kindle and switch it off, does the screen go blank or is it constantly displaying an advertisement, which I would imagine would affect the battery life?

Tim
timpearson26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:32 AM   #2
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
I doubt if the Kindle would force a connect, but I do know your conjecture about wasting battery power on a screen saver ad is incorrect. There is no power used to keep a display on, unlike on an LDC screen. Power is only needed to rearrange the eink in the first place.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2011, 05:58 AM   #3
timpearson26
Enthusiast
timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiXSendai View Post
I doubt if the Kindle would force a connect, but I do know your conjecture about wasting battery power on a screen saver ad is incorrect. There is no power used to keep a display on, unlike on an LDC screen. Power is only needed to rearrange the eink in the first place.
Thanks for the reply. That makes sense about the screen saver thing, I didn't know that about the eink screen.

I'm curious if anybody else has thought about the 1st issue raised or knows the answer.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:05 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by timpearson26 View Post
Does the 'special offers' feature of the kindle FORCE the wifi/3g on to download the latest advertisements? I was thinking if you don't use the wifi or 3g for a long period because, say, you are reading a long book, how would you get the updated advertisements or special offers downloaded to you device?
No, the offers are loaded during registration. The offers then appear on a predetermined schedule. This past midnight, offer #10 appeared on the Special Offers and Sponsors page and also as a screensaver. My WiFi was off and only went on when I claimed the offer. Not sure how many offers are already loaded or when new ones might be added.

Screensavers are always on. It doesn't matter if you have the ad version or the dead authors version.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:08 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timpearson26 View Post
Prospective kindle buyer here... a question...
Welcome to the board. Enjoy your stay.
Advert
Old 06-02-2011, 03:28 PM   #6
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
No, the offers are loaded during registration. The offers then appear on a predetermined schedule. This past midnight, offer #10 appeared on the Special Offers and Sponsors page and also as a screensaver. My WiFi was off and only went on when I claimed the offer. Not sure how many offers are already loaded or when new ones might be added.

Screensavers are always on. It doesn't matter if you have the ad version or the dead authors version.
I would be worried about missing out on an offer if I left my wifi off for more than a few days.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
I would be worried about missing out on an offer if I left my wifi off for more than a few days.
You won't. My WiFi stays off for days on end and I never miss an offer. The reason for that is that the offers are already loaded on your Kindle; how far in advance, I have no idea. They're triggered to appear at 0000 hours on set dates (currently every 4 days).

The current offer appeared today and the next one should drop on 06 Jun.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:12 PM   #8
futurebear
futurebear doesn't litterfuturebear doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
No, it does not turn on automatically. As soon as you turn it on it downloads ads, or new ads.
futurebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:15 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
delete this post
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #10
timpearson26
Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies everyone. Just one other question regarding the advertisement screensavers....

As mentioned above, I understand that no matter which kindle you have, it always displays some kind of screensaver, either an advertisement or something selected by you. But, how often does the advertisement screensaver change? Does it refresh to a new ad every few minutes, or hour, or day? or does it just stay the same until you switch the device back on? (thinking about battery life again here with this question)
Old 06-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #11
timpearson26
Enthusiast

Quote:
Welcome to the board. Enjoy your stay.
Thanks!
Old 06-03-2011, 01:01 AM   #12
metoo999
Enthusiast
metoo999 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
I think it acts like any other screensaver. It only changes the next time you put it into sleep mode (correct me if I'm wrong, KSO users). My friend uses one.
metoo999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:52 AM   #13
futurebear
futurebear doesn't litterfuturebear doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
You don't have to worry about battery life. It downloads a png file to the kindle, and displays it just like it does a regular screen saver. The ad does not change until you awake the kindle and put it back asleep again. Basically they act just like the regular screen savers.
futurebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:13 AM   #14
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Quote:

Wonder how long it is before someone finds out where these are and figures out how to see them in advance or triggers the internal clock to see what is coming? Also, has anyone determined whether or not these take up any substantial amount of memory?

Last edited by chas0039; 06-04-2011 at 01:52 PM.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:47 PM   #15
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
For the device to be able to turn the Wireless on automatically would be a potential hazard in some situations.

In places where any wireless communications are not allowed (like Hospitals or Airplanes) it could be dangerous.

I don't see them adding such functionality.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote