Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 05-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #76
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
The sony driver has an option to either preserve the existing aspect ratio in a container 217 high, or to convert it to the sony 'standard' of 217x168. The option is default True: preserve aspect ratio.
What is this Sony standard? I've never heard of it and I don't have cover issues where I need to have a thumbnail at 217x168. Also, the proper aspect ratio should be kept which is why Overdrive should not even be considered for covers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #77
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What is this Sony standard? I've never heard of it and I don't have cover issues where I need to have a thumbnail at 217x168. Also, the proper aspect ratio should be kept which is why Overdrive should not even be considered for covers.
That 'standard' comes from trawling many fora for how other developers handle sony thumbnails. It is a consensus number, determined by people seeing what Sony's software does and how the various devices deal with the thumbnails. There was more consensus on height than width, but there was general agreement that the result shouldn't be oversquare.

As for aspect ratio, do as you wish.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:32 PM   #78
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That 'standard' comes from trawling many fora for how other developers handle sony thumbnails. It is a consensus number, determined by people seeing what Sony's software does and how the various devices deal with the thumbnails. There was more consensus on height than width, but there was general agreement that the result shouldn't be oversquare.

As for aspect ratio, do as you wish.
My 650 generates the thumbnails from the cover images. So no need for them externally.

As for the aspect ratio, I just wish for the correct aspect ratio. Are you saying you want an incorrect aspect ration for covers?
Old 05-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #79
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
As for the aspect ratio, I just wish for the correct aspect ratio. Are you saying you want an incorrect aspect ration for covers?
I did not say that I "want an incorrect aspect [ratio] for covers". I did say that you are free to pursue whatever standard of perfection you wish.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #80
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I did not say that I "want an incorrect aspect [ratio] for covers". I did say that you are free to pursue whatever standard of perfection you wish.
I'm not looking for perfection. Just the proper level of correctness. Overdrive is way wrong as they use MS Reader cover images that have an incorrect aspect ratio. Basically, someone decided that it would look better if covers were sized to fill the entire MS Reader window. That gives us a poor aspect ratio and Overdrive is still displaying covers to fit that window, Not a good idea to get covers from Overdrive because of this. So in fact, my idea is to remove any reference to Overdrive in terms of getting covers.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #81
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
JSWolf - you seem to be on a one man crusade against Overdrive and aspect ratios, this is the third time you have complained about it on this thread. You don't have to use it, in fact the plugin is disabled in Calibre by default for performance reasons.

There are other plugins that return covers that might be in a ratio you prefer. Get over it already.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote