Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-04-2017, 03:21 AM   #46
Nayende
Nayende began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo & Kobo glo HD
Thank you to answer, jackie_w. Then I'm gonna continue to use it as it is.

Also thanks for your courtesy.
Nayende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:45 PM   #47
masterz87
Connoisseur
masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
patch_name = `ePub disable built-in body padding-bottom`
patch_enable = `yes`

this is the output I see and it's making zero sense to me.
tools/patch32lsb-x86_64-Linux: line 424 in '4.3.8966_source/libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch': find_base_address string not found.

I'm getting this for some unknown reason.
masterz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2017, 08:00 PM   #48
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
It probably means you have another patch enabled that has modified the same code:
Code:
#
# The following three patches are mutually incompatible,
# don't enable more than one.
#
# `ePub fixed/adjustable top/bottom margins`
# `ePub fixed top/bottom margins`
# `ePub disable built-in body padding-bottom`
#
The first two patches include the effect of the `ePub disable built-in body padding-bottom` patch, so there is no need for it if you are using one of the other two.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:46 PM   #49
masterz87
Connoisseur
masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
It probably means you have another patch enabled that has modified the same code:
Code:
#
# The following three patches are mutually incompatible,
# don't enable more than one.
#
# `ePub fixed/adjustable top/bottom margins`
# `ePub fixed top/bottom margins`
# `ePub disable built-in body padding-bottom`
#
The first two patches include the effect of the `ePub disable built-in body padding-bottom` patch, so there is no need for it if you are using one of the other two.
that's what it was, apparently i forgot I had enabled the custom top/bottom margin patch.

the font-increment units is that in 1px or how does it do its thing as it doesn't seem to be in 1px increments from the default minimum font size.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:08 PM   #50
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterz87 View Post
the font-increment units is that in 1px or how does it do its thing as it doesn't seem to be in 1px increments from the default minimum font size.
For the `Custom font sizes` patch do you mean? The font sizes are in px, but they are used as a base and the actual size on the screen will vary depending on each book's stylesheet, so it might be easier just to think of it as an abstract scale factor rather than an absolute size.

Edit: If you mean the size of the margins in the `ePub fixed top/bottom margins` patch, then they are in px and are not related to the font size.

Last edited by GeoffR; 04-06-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Advert
Old 04-07-2017, 12:07 AM   #51
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Speaking of margins. Is there a patch that will override them? I had a few library books where the left and right margin was too thin. I got the margin slider all the way to the right. The margins barely move on some books. These are epubs I'm reading.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:44 AM   #52
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Speaking of margins. Is there a patch that will override them? I had a few library books where the left and right margin was too thin. I got the margin slider all the way to the right. The margins barely move on some books. These are epubs I'm reading.

Sent from my XT1528
I don't know what could cause that, I've never seen an ePub where the book had any effect on the margin slider other than increasing the minimum margin so that the margins were too large even at the minimum setting.

It could be we have very different ideas of what "too thin" means though. With the `Custom left & right margins` patch enabled (it is enabled by default), moving the margin slider from minimum to maximum should increase each margin by 8% of the screen width, or about 1/4in. on a 6in.device. With that patch disabled the each margin should increase by about 1/2in. on a 6in. device. To me 1/4in. is an very large margin, but if 1/4in. is what you mean by too thin then you should try disabling the `Custom left & right margins` patch in libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch.

The only other thing I can think of is that there is something tricky in the book's XPGT stylesheet that I haven't seen before, and you could try enabling the `Ignore ePub book Adobe XPGT stylesheet (page-template.xpgt)` patch in librmsdk.so.1.0.0.patch.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:42 AM   #53
masterz87
Connoisseur

Quote:
For the `Custom font sizes` patch do you mean? The font sizes are in px, but they are used as a base and the actual size on the screen will vary depending on each book's stylesheet, so it might be easier just to think of it as an abstract scale factor rather than an absolute size.

Edit: If you mean the size of the margins in the `ePub fixed top/bottom margins` patch, then they are in px and are not related to the font size.
it's the font size itself, the custom margins one I find that the second level is a bit too much the % margin things are ints not floats right?
Old 04-07-2017, 01:53 AM   #54
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterz87 View Post
it's the font size itself, the custom margins one I find that the second level is a bit too much the % margin things are ints not floats right?
Do you mean the `Custom left & right margins` patch? The replacement values for that patch are integer multiples of 1% of the screen width.

Or do you mean the `ePub fixed top/bottom margins` patch? The replacement values in that patch are integer number of pixels.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:49 AM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Sent from my XT1528
What book is this that's causing the problem? Also, is it possible for you to load the book in Calibre's editor, remove the unused CSS classes and post the CSS? Also, if there a .xgpt file? If so, also post the contents of that as well.

What sort of left/right margin do you prefer? To you, what is too thin?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:51 AM   #56
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't know what could cause that, I've never seen an ePub where the book had any effect on the margin slider other than increasing the minimum margin so that the margins were too large even at the minimum setting.

It could be we have very different ideas of what "too thin" means though. With the `Custom left & right margins` patch enabled (it is enabled by default), moving the margin slider from minimum to maximum should increase each margin by 8% of the screen width, or about 1/4in. on a 6in.device. With that patch disabled the each margin should increase by about 1/2in. on a 6in. device. To me 1/4in. is an very large margin, but if 1/4in. is what you mean by too thin then you should try disabling the `Custom left & right margins` patch in libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch.

The only other thing I can think of is that there is something tricky in the book's XPGT stylesheet that I haven't seen before, and you could try enabling the `Ignore ePub book Adobe XPGT stylesheet (page-template.xpgt)` patch in librmsdk.so.1.0.0.patch.
Thanks, I will try that. As you can see in the screenshot attached. The margins are not wide enough. The slider is all the way to the right. I need the text to be smooshed just a little more for lack of a better description.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170407_064328165.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	156055  
Old 04-07-2017, 08:04 AM   #57
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What book is this that's causing the problem? Also, is it possible for you to load the book in Calibre's editor, remove the unused CSS classes and post the CSS? Also, if there a .xgpt file? If so, also post the contents of that as well.

What sort of left/right margin do you prefer? To you, what is too thin?
Well I don't want the margins so wide it's makes the text look like a bookmark but I don't​ the want the text spread to the bezel either. I've been switching to my phone on books with this problem. They are library books so no I can't put them in Calibre. I'm gonna try the tweaks Geoff mentioned.

Sent from my XT1528

Last edited by Blossom; 04-07-2017 at 08:13 AM.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:45 AM   #58
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks, I will try that. As you can see in the screenshot attached. The margins are not wide enough. The slider is all the way to the right. I need the text to be smooshed just a little more for lack of a better description.
Are you talking about the left and right margins? They look huge to me, but if you really want them larger then disabling the `Custom left & right margins patch` should make them about twice the size.

If you are talking about the top and bottom margins, then you need to look at the `ePub fixed/adjustable top/bottom margins` or `ePub fixed top/bottom margins` patches.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:41 AM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I have a possible solution to your problem. Part of the problem is the settings in Kobo's hyphenation dictionary. It is set so you only get a hyphen with 5 characters or more. The one I've linked below is set to 2 or more. So you may find more hyphens for better spacing. This is the hyphenation dictionary I use (So I know it works with every firmware) and it works much much better than Kobo's. All you do is unzip and drop KoboRoot.tgz into the .kobo directory and when you eject, it will install. You have to do this after you install each new firmware. I don't know aif it can be installed before the patches. So I patch and then install the hyphenation dictionary.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=252405

The one you want is JSWolfHyphenUS-EN.zip. If you are not using it and you do use it, please let me know how it goes for you. Thanks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:05 AM   #60
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Are you talking about the left and right margins? They look huge to me, but if you really want them larger then disabling the `Custom left & right margins patch` should make them about twice the size.

If you are talking about the top and bottom margins, then you need to look at the `ePub fixed/adjustable top/bottom margins` or `ePub fixed top/bottom margins` patches.
Yes left and right. It sounds like disabling the custom margin patch is just what I want. Thanks so much! I get many like narrow margins but when you switch from phone to reader often it easier for me to just use wide margins so I don't get eye strain.

Sent from my XT1528