Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-29-2017, 10:42 AM   #46
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, those are all spoilers to someone who has not read the book. Sorry if you feel spoiling a book for others is OK. But it's not and you are lax in your job by allowing this.
How about this. If you're that sensitive to what you feel are spoilers maybe don't open a thread talking about the book at all?

As far as I'm concerned they're not spoilers.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:24 PM   #47
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:19 AM   #48
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
I was disappointed in Artemis I think perhaps Weir should stick to a male protagonist, Jazz read like a male fantasy of a woman's thoughts & behaviour. Hoping his next effort is better.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:10 AM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm disappointed in the fonts embedded. They are awful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:40 AM   #50
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm disappointed in the fonts embedded. They are awful.
Again with the fonts? Really? You've spoken your mind on this subject in this thread. Does it really have to be brought up again?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:22 AM   #51
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
I was disappointed in Artemis I think perhaps Weir should stick to a male protagonist, Jazz read like a male fantasy of a woman's thoughts & behaviour. Hoping his next effort is better.
I still enjoyed the book, but I tend to agree. Her banter and external dialogue with others was fine (IMO). But her internalized conversations with herself felt weird. Even if lots of other people tell them they're gorgeous and/or sexy, I find it hard to believe that even the most confident individuals talk to themselves about how gorgeous and sexy they are. All. The. Time.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:53 PM   #52
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I find it hard to believe that even the most confident individuals talk to themselves about how gorgeous and sexy they are. All. The. Time.
Of course we do.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:18 AM   #53
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Somehow I missed this in my library's queue...I am number #67 on one list and #242 on another. Doh!
Both libraries ended up getting more copies (32 at one and 72 at the other, was less than 1/2 of that), so I got this a few days ago and finished tonight.

I enjoyed it but not nearly as much as The Martian. Jazz just wasn't very likeable and the info-dumps were jarring. I do look forward to whatever he comes up with next though.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:03 AM   #54
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
I just finished the book. Even though I enjoyed it, it wasn't as good as The Martian. Artemis was a quick and fun read. I'm looking forward to the next book from Mr. Weir.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:05 PM   #55
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
The biggest problem for me was that I felt Weir tried a little too hard to find reasons to put technical/scientific stuff in where it didn't add anything to the story. It felt like he was trying to recreate the feel of The Martian. Of course the science was a big part of what drove the story of The Martian where as in Artemis there was just no real need for it.

Have to agree with others in that I didn't care much for Jazz and I really didn't really care one way or another if things worked out. I also agree that she didn't feel at all believable as a female character.

Overall I didn't think too much of it.
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 01:10 PM   #56
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
The biggest problem for me was that I felt Weir tried a little too hard to find reasons to put technical/scientific stuff in where it didn't add anything to the story. It felt like he was trying to recreate the feel of The Martian. Of course the science was a big part of what drove the story of The Martian where as in Artemis there was just no real need for it.

Have to agree with others in that I didn't care much for Jazz and I really didn't really care one way or another if things worked out. I also agree that she didn't feel at all believable as a female character.

Overall I didn't think too much of it.
It's fairly common for a novelist to try to re-create the feel of a big hit. Most novelist tend to either get past that and grow or they fall by the way side. I do think that writers do tend to have specific characteristics that is common in their works, in the computer world it's called a look and feel. I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:59 AM   #57
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
It's fairly common for a novelist to try to re-create the feel of a big hit. Most novelist tend to either get past that and grow or they fall by the way side. I do think that writers do tend to have specific characteristics that is common in their works, in the computer world it's called a look and feel. I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing.
With writers it's called "voice". It can be a strange thing ... not unlike what you see among actors.

Some actors always produce the same character; some actors are such chameleons that they can be hard to pick out (curiously, this great skill is not necessarily a good thing for fame and fortune); other actors retain something distinctive while still managing to fit different roles. We watched "The King's Speech" again last night: Helena Bonham Carter fascinates me, from Jane in The Theory of Flight, to Beatrix in Harry Potter to the Queen Mum in The King's Speech, all such different roles, and all so perfectly matched by Helena, and yet still there is something distinctively her about all of them.

You see the same gamut run by writers. Some always produce what feels like the same story, others produce such different work that they're difficult to pick out, while others manage to be distinctive while being different. One that stands out for me is Neil Gaiman. Here is a writer that tackles a wide range of stories, each wonderfully and appropriately done, and yet he still manages to sound like Neil Gaiman. (As you can tell, I admire him a lot, even if I don't necessarily love everything he's written.)

I'm guessing Andy Weir is still trying to find his voice ... most of us are.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:40 AM   #58
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I know what you mean. The problem for me with Artemis was that it just seemed so forced and obvious and really served no purpose to the story. Of course, that's just my opinion though and others may see it entirely differently.
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:50 AM   #59
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Never mind.

Last edited by bgalbrecht; 01-11-2018 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Original post that I was commenting on was over a month old.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote