Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-15-2017, 10:01 AM   #1
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Malwarebytes Premium Has A Bug Re: Calibre

See the attached image. This occurred as soon as I upgraded to the new version of Calibre.

Clearly this is a bug in Malwarebytes.

Added: Until calibre.exe was excluded from Malwarebytes' automatic quarantine, I could easily generate the result shown in the attached image via the menu action "Plugin Updater > Installed > ...." and then Right Click "install".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	malwarebytes_has_a_bug.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	156184  

Last edited by DaltonST; 04-15-2017 at 10:21 AM. Reason: New data.
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

MWB not reporting any errors here with 2.83. Just did a full threat scan, no errors.

Malwarebytes version: 3.0.6.1469
Component package version: 1.0.103
Update package version: 1.0.1735

And nothing is excluded from MWB.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Plugin Updater > Installed > ...." and then Right Click "install". I get at the plugins via Preferences. After installing 2.83 (64 bit and portable) I installed a new version of the Job Spy plugin by clicking the notify message, no problems with it.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2017, 11:12 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonST View Post
See the attached image. This occurred as soon as I upgraded to the new version of Calibre.

Clearly this is a bug in Malwarebytes.

Added: Until calibre.exe was excluded from Malwarebytes' automatic quarantine, I could easily generate the result shown in the attached image via the menu action "Plugin Updater > Installed > ...." and then Right Click "install".
Thanks for the heads up.
IMHO The issue with all the Malware detection apps, is the definition of what is considered 'bad'.
I have had ALL Cookies flagged.
Sure, you can exempt things ...But that requires Knowledge of what each is. I sorta liked M$ security slider (in XP) idea
Suggested settings Off (not recommended) , Blaze, Normal, Paranoid
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:32 AM   #4
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "Plugin Updater > Installed > ...." and then Right Click "install". I get at the plugins via Preferences. After installing 2.83 (64 bit and portable) I installed a new version of the Job Spy plugin by clicking the notify message, no problems with it.

BR
See the attached. There must be some Internet access activity via this route that your method does not do in exactly the same way.

DaltonST
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pluginupdaterrightclick.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	562.1 KB
ID:	156187  
Old 04-15-2017, 12:12 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
See the attached. There must be some Internet access activity via this route that your method does not do in exactly the same way.
Don't think so - that's the Preferences->Plugins->Get new plugins dialogue

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	156191

I just reinstalled Job Spy, not a peep from MWB, and for good measure I installed something I didn't have, ScrambleEbook, also nothing from MWB.

Just finished another MWB threat scan, a Defender scan, and a standalone ESET scan, nothing from all three.

Is your MWB up to date. I had a problem with MWB recently, it kept turning off one of of its shields. Their support was first rate, within an hour our two they sent me the instructions on how to nuke MWB and reinstall. No problems since. I'll PM the email to you

BR
Advert
Old 04-15-2017, 12:55 PM   #6
DaltonST
Deviser

BR,

See the attached. That fixed a Windows 10 BSOD problem I had with the Web Protection shield, but did not fix my Calibre-is-ransomware problem.

I have Windows 10, version 1703.

I fixed this issue the old-fashioned way. I just excluded calibre.exe from Ransomeware quarantines.

Thanks for the MWB nuke-and-reinstall message. That helped.

DaltonST
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2017-04-15 11_45_11-Malwarebytes Premium 3.0.6.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	156193  
Old 04-15-2017, 05:49 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
BR,

See the attached. That fixed a Windows 10 BSOD problem I had with the Web Protection shield, but did not fix my Calibre-is-ransomware problem.

I fixed this issue the old-fashioned way. I just excluded calibre.exe from Ransomeware quarantines.
I'm still on 1607 - no idea why that should matter. but it looks like it does.

Might be worth contacting MWB, as you've seen they were prompt and refreshingly forthcoming to my problem, and they had a solution on hand.

I won't move to 1703 until at least a month after MS tell the corporate world it's good to go, I regard everything before then as beta testing. That took about 4-5 months for 1511 and 1607 - so I'm planning on August/September.

My days of beta testing OSs are long gone. Time was when the corporate IT departments did all the beta testing of Windows for MS. Outsourcing some of that to the consumer market was a clever move. Cheap too, they do it for free. I had a couple of o/s trips funded by MS regarding beta testing related issues.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-15-2017 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:38 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
BR,

Malwarebytes Premium
Malwarebytes version: 3.0.6.1469
Component package version: 1.0.103
Update package version: 1.0.1742

Windows 10 Pro
Version 1607
OS Build 14393.1066

I am in the same boat as BetterRed in that I see no issue with calibre 2.83 (portable or installed locally) and MalwareBytes. Either it is due to a conflict with Windows 10, version 1703 or you downloaded calibre from a different source then calibre's download page.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:51 AM   #9
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Outsourcing some of that to the consumer market was a clever move.
As long as the testing is done in the fast ring, it's fine by me. Having your regular customers beta-test stuff isn't clever: it's stupid. In the IT world, it causes people to switch to Apple.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:07 AM   #10
DaltonST
Deviser

Update package version: 1.0.1742 which MWB automatically installed this morning fixed this problem with Calibre on my Windows 10 version 1703. MWB Tech Support is great.

DaltonST
Old 04-16-2017, 11:40 AM   #11
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I use MWB to scan and have seen no problems... do you have a (paid) version running perpetually? That would explain everything, as it detects a program modifying itself/installing stuff on its own when you use the Calibre plugin dialog. MWB has probably excluded it in their definitions now
Old 04-16-2017, 02:38 PM   #12
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'm wondering why Malwarebytes identified it specifically as a "Malware.Ransom.Agent.Generic" threat.

BTW, this isn't the first time Malwarebytes has falsely identified a program as a Malware.Ransom.Agent.Generic threat. (See https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topi...alse-positive/)

Quote:
...I have Windows 10, version 1703....

Somewhat OT, but Microsoft hasn't released that version to the general public yet, have they? (I'm running version 1607.) Is it worth taking a chance on?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:14 PM   #13
DaltonST
Deviser

I did not ask for it; it just came automatically 2 days ago. It was not part of Patch Tuesday installs. My other Win 10 PCs and tablets have not received it yet. It was a major install, and took quite a bit of time and several reboots.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:11 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Update package version: 1.0.1742 which MWB automatically installed this morning fixed this problem with Calibre on my Windows 10 version 1703. MWB Tech Support is great.
that's my experience too.

I wonder what in Windows 1703 caused MWB to think Calibre was a ransom-ware threat. And if the fix might be a workaround for a bug in Windows 1703.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'm wondering why Malwarebytes identified it specifically as a "Malware.Ransom.Agent.Generic" threat.

BTW, this isn't the first time Malwarebytes has falsely identified a program as a Malware.Ransom.Agent.Generic threat.
They are pattern matching tests, hence inexact, hence the Generic tag.

Name me an AV product that has never had a false +ve. I wonder how many calibre users have calibre permanently excluded in their AV, a number of the AV major vendors have reported calibre as a threat at some time.

Having had to disinfect two ransom-ware infections on other peoples computers, I'd rather have an occasional false +ve. Both came via unsolicited HTML email attachments, the owners ignored the MS warnings, and their 'beginning with A' AV vendors failed to detect the infection.

Quote:
Somewhat OT, but Microsoft hasn't released that version to the general public yet, have they? (I'm running version 1607.)
Yes they have, the release number suggests it was some time in March. They don't release it to everyone on the same day, it's on a trickle down feed.

Quote:
Is it worth taking a chance on?
IMO, no it isn't unless there is something in it that you actually need right now. or you're an early adopter or you enjoy bragging rights. I won't be upgrading until August/September.

But if you're using Windows Home Edition I don't think you get a choice, its coming your way. like it or not. That's the price you pay for buying the cheaper version, or not upgrading.

Windows Pro gives the user control over what gets installed and when it gets installed - including an on/off setting for Defer New Versions. IMO that alone is worth the extra cost (IIRC about $100), if you haggle when you buy a new computer you should be able to get it for less.

Quote:
I did not ask for it; it just came automatically 2 days ago. It was not part of Patch Tuesday installs. My other Win 10 PCs and tablets have not received it yet. It was a major install, and took quite a bit of time and several reboots.
That's normal, the 1511 and 1607 upgrades were the same.

Windows 10 1703 has a bunch of new privacy related settings, if you care about such things you might want to review what's there. But why care, NSA monitors SWIFT, so nothing's safe from their prying eyes

BR
Old 04-16-2017, 07:00 PM   #15
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Yes they have, the release number suggests it was some time in March. They don't release it to everyone on the same day, it's on a trickle down feed.
They released it on Wednesday 12th of April. Since then, you can install 1703 by creating a DVD/USB/ISO using the MediaCreation tool, and update from there.

They have been removing some stuff again... such as any and all font customizations, for which you now need a hack/registry tweak.