Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 10-10-2019, 11:26 AM   #1
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
eta for dropbox fix/ pcloud support

it has been a while since I last asked so where are we on

1. link CC to my ( not gmail) dropbox account on new tablet
2. link CC to my pcloud on same device

i bought my current tablet after dropbox imposed the 3 device limit so I can't have the dropbox app on there, and I can't complete authentication in CC to dropbox with the email that I use for dropbox [ which I can't easily change]

pcloud would do as an alternative if supported. I have a copy of my libnrary in pcloud. I can see it on tablet in teh pcloud app but that's a virtual drive -= I can't get CC to see it as a local library because it can't see where pcloud keeps the virtual drive on the tablet. It does not shwo up in local storage.

if the answer to both of those is " don't hold your breath" , I will look again at Google Drive, but I wasted hours on that before. I copied the complete library folder of ~1500 books to G drive (complete with with metadata.db )etc but then CC could not find a library in my Google drive. [ Chaley opined that the GD - CC API was just very slow st searching through thousands of GD files to locate a possible Calibre Library and that if I deleted and re=sent metadata.db after sending all the books it might find it quicker.. but if GD is that flaky I'd rather not rely on it ]
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:10 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
it has been a while since I last asked so where are we on

1. link CC to my ( not gmail) dropbox account on new tablet
2. link CC to my pcloud on same device

i bought my current tablet after dropbox imposed the 3 device limit so I can't have the dropbox app on there, and I can't complete authentication in CC to dropbox with the email that I use for dropbox [ which I can't easily change]

pcloud would do as an alternative if supported. I have a copy of my libnrary in pcloud. I can see it on tablet in teh pcloud app but that's a virtual drive -= I can't get CC to see it as a local library because it can't see where pcloud keeps the virtual drive on the tablet. It does not shwo up in local storage.

if the answer to both of those is " don't hold your breath" , I will look again at Google Drive, but I wasted hours on that before. I copied the complete library folder of ~1500 books to G drive (complete with with metadata.db )etc but then CC could not find a library in my Google drive. [ Chaley opined that the GD - CC API was just very slow st searching through thousands of GD files to locate a possible Calibre Library and that if I deleted and re=sent metadata.db after sending all the books it might find it quicker.. but if GD is that flaky I'd rather not rely on it ]
G Drive will destroy a Calibre Library's usability from Calibre(*) as it modifies file names. Don't use this for Libraries. Put other stuff there to free up space in the others.

?? You can't pay a fee for more device counts? Free isn't the end of all working means
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:30 PM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
G Drive will destroy a Calibre Library's usability from Calibre(*) as it modifies file names. Don't use this for Libraries. Put other stuff there to free up space in the others.

?? You can't pay a fee for more device counts? Free isn't the end of all working means
1. would you pay £120 per year just to add 1 more device to a free service? I already have all the dropbox space I need and it still works on every device i Bought prior to March 2019.

2. no matter what expensive dropbox tier I buy , its still useless for the intended purpose of accessing it via calibre Companion, until that bit of CC gets re-written - CC with dropbox is also broken for new authentication for dropbox pro , not just for dropbox free

actually, the list of cloud services is still completely works with is a very short list and keeps getting shorter:
Amazon Drive NO.
Google Drive - problematic [ as you acknowledge, but would be ok with copies if CC could actually find the library therein
Dropbox NO ( expect for account links already authenticated)
PCloud NO ( still not implemented - no ETA ? )

I am not aware of any other free cloud services that CC does work with
Old 10-10-2019, 01:51 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
1. would you pay £120 per year just to add 1 more device to a free service? I already have all the dropbox space I need and it still works on every device i Bought prior to March 2019.
120 (of any currency) No!
In my case, I don't need or keep documents that I need access to from many places.
I did buy a Synology NAS ( RAID ~3T usable) mostly for local (backup) use (other features are way under utilized )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:20 PM   #5
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
@stumped:

Create a 2nd dropbox account, just for books. Install it on your iPad and link it on CC. You can do that and the basic storage is enough for a few hundred books.

If you're considering alternatives to CC then use Libreca, which can do exactly the same.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 02:07 AM   #6
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
@stumped:

Create a 2nd dropbox account, just for books. Install it on your iPad and link it on CC. You can do that and the basic storage is enough for a few hundred books.
OK, but the question was " what's the eta for a proper fix", not what's the best work-around

and anyway, android CC will not authenticate any new dropbox account, unless I also make a new Gmail account to go with it . and use the sign in with google work around

the no response from new developer suggests there is no eta

i dont have an ipad
Old 10-11-2019, 07:56 AM   #7
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Sorry @stumped. I was under the impression that you had iOS because all the recent noise with the last update.

Quote:
and anyway, android CC will not authenticate any new dropbox account, unless I also make a new Gmail account to go with it . and use the sign in with google work around

the no response from new developer suggests there is no eta

That's unfortunate. I'm very happy with current CC for Android (And did a backup because I fear the subscription model). Sadly I didn't found an alternative on android. I guess we will see one if CC finally switches to subscription. I will be more than happy to contribute to such a project.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 04:21 AM   #8
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
@stumped:

Create a 2nd dropbox account, just for books.
FYI there is another serious showstopper with that idea
the only way to get calibre library properly copied to dropbox is to use the dropbox app' sync folder on your PC, which limits you to one dropbox account per PC
I recently found , to my horror, that if you upload folders/subfolders to dropbox.com via ANY browser based method , it mangles folder structure.
Dropbox admit, but only in well hidden small print, that uploading folders+subfolders via browsers is not supported or recommended. all the book files will get uploaded but probably not into the correct subfolders, so that would make a calibre upload not fit for purpose. Unless you have the patience to add it one author sub folder at a time!
another workaround is to go directly to dropbox using moon reader file explorer, which can access all of your dropbox, and open the book you want to read ( but that means a patient trawl through the author subfolders in your dropbox copy of calibre library. I can do that on my newest tablet, without needing to install dropbox to that device.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:24 AM   #9
nqk
Fanatic
nqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Leaf
How about Box and OneDrive? CC is still working well with these two clouds, for now.

Gửi từ GM1910 của tôi bằng cách sử dụng Tapatalk
nqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:10 PM   #10
kksdragons
Bibliophile
kksdragons began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad
I certainly wouldn't mind if CC had access to the iCloud and/or a jump drive. I'm retired on a fixed income so don't want to add another bill for Box, etc.
kksdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:20 PM   #11
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kksdragons View Post
I certainly wouldn't mind if CC had access to the iCloud and/or a jump drive. I'm retired on a fixed income so don't want to add another bill for Box, etc.
I wont pay for box , just to put books in cloud either and I wont convert all my PCs to the prerequisite using microsoft accounts , not local accounts, in order to use One Drive, even if that's supported

I'd settle for seeing what cloud fixes/ additions are prioritised, and some hints at ETA, even if its only which year! rather than the deafening silence from the new developer

as I said a while ago, the list of supported cloud solutions is now extremely short

re the dropbox workarounds, I have read lots of search results, trying to find out if changing my dropbox email address from a not-gmail to a gmail one will force a re-auth of all existing installs and thus enforce the 3 device limit, or if I can just change it and get away with it. But I can'rt find that out.

That whole issue goes away if CC gets a proper fix for authenticating with dropbox. Other apps, like calibrebox , auth with dropbox, no issues there, so it CAN be done!