Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-08-2019, 06:53 AM   #1
AmCom
AmCom began at the beginning.

Device: none
Max 3 user experiences?

I'm really surprised that there are no shared user experiences yet. With the Max 2 there were a whole swath coming in after release. I'm still on the fence getting one of those devices, I'm reading daily for my job but 850 is still steep for an ereader (imho). Any one willing to share their experiences (besides the aspects that got their own threads; that is monitor feature, play store cert and rooting)?

Bonus points if anyone can compare it to their Max 2 experience (you can get the max 2 pro for 650 atm).
AmCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:17 PM   #2
ktham
ktham began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmCom View Post
I'm really surprised that there are no shared user experiences yet. With the Max 2 there were a whole swath coming in after release. I'm still on the fence getting one of those devices, I'm reading daily for my job but 850 is still steep for an ereader (imho). Any one willing to share their experiences (besides the aspects that got their own threads; that is monitor feature, play store cert and rooting)?

Bonus points if anyone can compare it to their Max 2 experience (you can get the max 2 pro for 650 atm).
I don't have the Max 2. I've been using the Max 3 and can answer your questions on the user experience of it. Anything you'd like me to share about?

Over all so far, the experience has been ok, but not great. Kindle app works ok and the native Notes app is pretty decent. PDF viewer is also ok. That's all I've used it for so far.

I have a work stipend to spend on e-readers which is why I got the Max 3 - otherwise, I don't think I would have shelled out that much money for this

Last edited by ktham; 10-08-2019 at 06:20 PM.
ktham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:04 AM   #3
AmCom

Work stipend to spend on ereaders? What kind of fairytale wonderland do you work in ;-). I was generally intrested to hear if people are happy with the product and what their experiences are. I'm on the fence with these things since like 3 years and now I saved some money but I'm feeling like "do I really want to buy a e-ink tablet that almost costs as much as the most advanced VR headset?" and usually feel like i dont. On the other hand I feel that would improve my work efficiency because I can read much easier on e-ink than on LCD and I have to read alot.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:58 PM   #4
JeffC
JeffC began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max 2 Pro
I owned a Max 2 pro, but I was still tempted to buy a Max 3, and I didn't regret. Both machines are satisfactory to me (I have tons of PDF books and articles to read, and I use Ms Word (or WPS office) to write, in addition to note taking.) But Max 3 looks more elegant. Those small improvements make lot of difference, such as the power button, rotation functions, etc. It's more comfortable to hold.
I occasionally browse websites and rarely used it for watching videos. I do those kinds of things on my laptop.
JeffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:15 AM   #5
Ansileran
Zealot
Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kobo Aura HD, Cybook Odyssey HD
After a few days, this is what I can say about it:
1. Reading PDF: Great (but that was already the case on the Max Carta)
2. Annotating PDF: Pretty good, better than the Max Carta due to the Wacom stylus
3. Note-taking app: half-decent. Lecturenotes was doing better 7 years ago. No options to create your own templates within the app, only one layer, choice of pen and color extremely limited, doesn't seem to have highlighters or hardness settings. Toolbar is huge and has to be hidden / brought back all the time. Lecturenotes works great btw, wish I could set it up as the default note-taking app.
4. Google Play is not properly set up, takes 24h to activate, and after that crashes when trying to click on an app or to install. I have to install apps through the play store website
5. Pen: no button except top, annoying if you want to quickly switch to the eraser. Otherwise I like the thickness compared with Samsung pens
6. Dictionary: better, but only has Chinese, English or weird Russian ones (showing 0 entries). I know you can add more, but still poor language support.
7. 64 GB of memory is decent but somewhat limited, especially if you have big PDF to store.
8. Good WiFi connection, the Web browser does a decent job
9. Appreciate the Bluetooth to transfer files, though I sometimes miss the notification to accept the file...
10. Haven't had a palm rejection issue so far.
11. Lack of button is annoying because it requires taping on the top bar to access the switch app menu. Don't understand why they were removed from the original max design (along with the micro SD slot - otg is not the same, can't charge simultaneously).

Overall, decent device. If you can afford the Max 3, I'd buy it because Onyx's track record with supporting devices from previous generations is terrible. If you already have the Max 2, I wouldn't update unless you really have money to spare: there doesn't seem to be much improvement compared with videos/reviews (don't have a Max 2)...
Ansileran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:34 PM   #6
adrians
adrians doesn't litteradrians doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansileran View Post
Lecturenotes works great btw, wish I could set it up as the default note-taking app.
When you say great, are you referring to the features or the handwritten note taking ability? The latter is quite laggy for me (enough to be almost unusable since I'm forced to write blindly and wait for the ink to show), but maybe I'm missing something.
adrians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 06:27 PM   #7
desk7
Zealot
desk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Onyx Boox Max
Review of Onyx Boox Max 3 from Italian website: https://notebookitalia.it/recensione...ox-max-3-28890
desk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:05 AM   #8
AmCom

thanks for all the replies so far. sadly, i don't speak italian.
Old Today, 06:40 AM   #9
avinatbezeq
Connoisseur
avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, KDXG
Only 3.2 out of 5 stars on Amazon (but only 11 reviews)

https://www.amazon.com/BOOX-Reader-F...ef_=ast_sto_dp
avinatbezeq is offline   Reply With Quote