Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-12-2019, 08:47 PM   #76
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
OtinG's Avatar
 
Posts: 777
Karma: 1116897
Join Date: Jun 2018
Device: Kindle, iPhone XR, iPad Pro 9.7, Alexa Devices
You sure spend a lot of time defending the Apple programmers. The fact that you have to speaks volumes about the state of development at Apple. Three plus months of beta should have yielded much better code than what we got with iPadOS. It is much too unstable to be in release and way to frigging unstable for them to have already stopped signing iOS 13.x.y. That old Apple BS that shiny and new makes up for buggy just doesn’t work any more.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:04 AM   #77
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 5,720
Karma: 30559426
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
You sure spend a lot of time defending the Apple programmers. The fact that you have to speaks volumes about the state of development at Apple. Three plus months of beta should have yielded much better code than what we got with iPadOS. It is much too unstable to be in release and way to frigging unstable for them to have already stopped signing iOS 13.x.y. That old Apple BS that shiny and new makes up for buggy just doesn’t work any more.
For the most part, I rarely defend Apple programmers. I do, on the other hand, understand how the process of generating and testing code works. Beta code is called beta for a reason. It's going to have bugs. The point of beta testing is to find and remove bugs. Major issues with release software? That's a big problem.

As far as the current iPadOS software, all I can say is that I've had no problems with it and have been using it rather extensively since it was released. Other people might be having problems, but for the most part I haven't heard of any major issues.

If your point is that Apple should permit users to roll back to the previous version for a longer period of time, then I absolutely agree with you. I think you should always be able to roll back to the previous version.

Poking around a bit, I suspect maybe you misunderstand what they are saying when it's reported that they have stopped signing iPadOS 13.x. You can still downgrade to pre iPadOS 13, you just can't go from iPadOS 13.2 back to iPadOS 13.0.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:34 AM   #78
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
OtinG's Avatar
 
Posts: 777
Karma: 1116897
Join Date: Jun 2018
Device: Kindle, iPhone XR, iPad Pro 9.7, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
For the most part, I rarely defend Apple programmers. I do, on the other hand, understand how the process of generating and testing code works. Beta code is called beta for a reason. It's going to have bugs. The point of beta testing is to find and remove bugs. Major issues with release software? That's a big problem.

As far as the current iPadOS software, all I can say is that I've had no problems with it and have been using it rather extensively since it was released. Other people might be having problems, but for the most part I haven't heard of any major issues.

If your point is that Apple should permit users to roll back to the previous version for a longer period of time, then I absolutely agree with you. I think you should always be able to roll back to the previous version.

Poking around a bit, I suspect maybe you misunderstand what they are saying when it's reported that they have stopped signing iPadOS 13.x. You can still downgrade to pre iPadOS 13, you just can't go from iPadOS 13.2 back to iPadOS 13.0.
From a MacRumors article on Oct 4:

Quote:
Following the release of iOS 13.1.2 on Monday, Apple has stopped signing several previous versions of iOS, preventing downgrades to these earlier versions. iOS versions no longer being signed include iOS 12.4.1, iOS 13.0, and iOS 13.1.1, while iOS 13.1 remains signed for the time being.
And according to IPSW iOS 12.4.1 and earlier are no longer signed by Apple for the iPad Pro 9.7-inch WiFi (my iPad model). So I cannot downgrade via iTunes. Not sure of the other methods, but I'm not willing to brick my only iPad downgrading it through unofficial channels.

Maybe your iPad model is okay with iPadOS, but obviously my iPad Pro 9.7" is having über issues with it as seen in the attached images, and the keyboard issues are pretty bad too, as are selecting text. Numbers is nearly unusable due to the issues with the keyboards and test selection. There is a general flakiness about iPadOS on my iPad, and apparently I’m not alone. Of course some people will see, or not see, what they want to. The screwed up screen format is image one below is a very frequent occurence since installing iPadOS. It never occurred before then.

From 1980s through the first part of the 2000s I worked at IBM, Computer Associates, and BMC Software in their development departments. A release like iPadOS would have caused heads to roll at any of those companies, at least back then.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iPadOS-screen-bug.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	315.3 KB
ID:	174213   Click image for larger version

Name:	iPadOS-bug.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	912.3 KB
ID:	174214  
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:43 AM   #79
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Deskisamess's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,142
Karma: 14590033
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ohio
Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2018 iPad Pro 12.9", KO2, Paperwhite 2019
Quote:
Of course some people will see, or not see, what they want to.
I'm also someone who isn't having trouble with iOS 13.1.2 on my various devices. My 2018 12.9" iPad is working just fine, apart from my learning all the changes. I'm not in the beta group, so have no experience running any beta versions of iOS.

If you're running the beta versions, your issues may not pertain to the actual released version. Maybe we don't see the issue because we're not experiencing those problems that you are having. Do you really think Apple users would pretend to not have have problems, just because we like Apple products? Or to just disagree with you?
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:49 AM   #80
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
OtinG's Avatar
 
Posts: 777
Karma: 1116897
Join Date: Jun 2018
Device: Kindle, iPhone XR, iPad Pro 9.7, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I'm also someone who isn't having trouble with iOS 13.1.2 on my various devices. My 2018 12.9" iPad is working just fine, apart from my learning all the changes. I'm not in the beta group, so have no experience running any beta versions of iOS.

If you're running the beta versions, your issues may not pertain to the actual released version. Maybe we don't see the issue because we're not experiencing those problems that you are having. Do you really think Apple users would pretend to not have have problems, just because we like Apple products? Or to just disagree with you?
I never run beta versions--period. These are the last released versions. iOS 13.1.2 is great on my iPhone, but iPadOS has been a PITA on my iPad Pro 9.7". Others here in this forum are reporting issues and complaints as well, and the internet is reporting issues too. I’m glad you guys are happy with it and not having issues, but for my iPad model there are über issues. Plus I think many of the design changes just plain suck.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:53 AM   #81
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Deskisamess's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,142
Karma: 14590033
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ohio
Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2018 iPad Pro 12.9", KO2, Paperwhite 2019
Quote:
I never run beta versions--period.
Many of the quotes and links you've posted are referring to the beta updates. That made me think you were running them as well.

Wouldn't it be correct to think that articles about beta versions may not apply to those not running beta versions?
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple releases iOS 9.2 and a lot of other updates jswinden Apple Devices 14 12-21-2015 01:14 PM
New IOS app indicator of more firmware updates to come? jackastor Kobo Reader 2 05-04-2014 02:13 AM
Apple Updates iOS to 6.1 tubemonkey Apple Devices 32 03-24-2013 07:12 PM
9to5Mac: OTA Updates coming to iOS? kjk Apple Devices 1 05-08-2011 08:21 AM
iOS 4.0.2 (iPhone) 3.22(iPad) updates now available kjk Apple Devices 5 08-12-2010 10:21 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:02 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.