Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-02-2011, 04:23 AM   #1
BMaloney
Connoisseur
BMaloney doesn't litterBMaloney doesn't litter

Device: PRS-650
endnotes in epub with Sigil, multiple html

Hello everyone. I am trying to use Sigil to insert endnotes into my epub document. It is very difficult, but I want to figure it out!

As a basis, I'm using the info I found at this link. If your epub file is all in one html file, then what you see there really works. But once you start breaking it up into chapters (ie, dividing into various html files) then it becomes really complicated. Can anyone lend a hand?

Right now, my specific problem is that I was trying to edit the code and I made a mistake. Now Sigil tells me that "the page contains the following errors: Expected '=', but got ':' " and it doesn't let me back into the code view to change it! How can I correct my mistake?

When adding endnotes, I think it is important - first thing - to divide the html into chapters BEFORE starting to define endnotes. That way, the chapter number to which each note belongs is determined in advance.

Next, I think it is important to mention that the note anchor numbers do not necessarily correspond to the numbers assigned in the book view. For example, the text might have notes starting at 1 then running to 21. But each one is in a different chapter (for example: 1,2,3 in chapter 1; 4, 5, 6 in chapter 2; 7, 8, 9 in chapter 3...; all endnotes in chapter 8). 2-1 is the first note in section 2 (Section0002.xhtml), but this is displayed as note 4. So, for example, is this right?

CHAPTER 2
<p>This is the text as it would appear in code view. &nbsp;<a href="#fn-2-1" id="fnt-2-1">[4]</a>&nbsp;</p>

CHAPTER 8
<p><a href="#fnt-2-1" id="fn-2-1">1</a>&nbsp;This is what it says in the note. <a href="../Text/Section0002.xhtml#fn-2-1">[return]</a>)</p>

This, at least, is my theory... I have yet to make it work properly, because I keep making mistakes and Sigil won't let me correct them (see above)!

I would really appreciate any suggestions or advice. Thanks very much for your time.
BMaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:46 AM   #2
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Nested tags are illegal, so Id tags have to be separate from href tags. You also need to point the footnote link in Chapter 2 to Section0008 (or wherever you have the footnotes located). So, something like this:

CHAPTER 2
<p>This is the text as it would appear in code view. &nbsp;<a id="fnt-2-1"></a><a href="../Text/Section0008.xhtml#fn-2-1">[4]</a>&nbsp;</p>

CHAPTER 8
<p><a id="fn-2-1"></a><a href="#fnt-2-1">1</a>&nbsp;This is what it says in the note. <a href="../Text/Section0002.xhtml#fn-2-1">[return]</a>)</p>

To work with the HTML, you'll need to have the Split View or Code View button selected in Sigil:

If you're working with the Split View, you'll need to make sure you have the HTML field selected instead of the Book field. I double or triple click on something in the HTML view to highlight, then I know I have the HTML field selected. Yes, I've mistakenly entered plenty of HTML up in the Book field.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by AndrewH; 03-03-2011 at 02:49 AM.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:18 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
Nested tags are illegal, so Id tags have to be separate from href tags. You also need to point the footnote link in Chapter 2 to Section0008 (or wherever you have the footnotes located). So, something like this:

CHAPTER 2
<p>This is the text as it would appear in code view. &nbsp;<a id="fnt-2-1"></a><a href="../Text/Section0008.xhtml#fn-2-1">[4]</a>&nbsp;</p>

CHAPTER 8
<p><a id="fn-2-1"></a><a href="#fnt-2-1">1</a>&nbsp;This is what it says in the note. <a href="../Text/Section0002.xhtml#fn-2-1">[return]</a>)</p>
Nested tags are not illegal, unless you mean something different. There's absolutely nothing wrong in adding the "id" attribute to any existing tag, and it's in fact preferred (rather than adding an empty dummy <a> tag just to hold the "id" attribute):

<a id="fnt-2-1" href="../Text/Section0008.xhtml#fn-2-1">[4]</a>
<a id="fn-2-1" href="#fnt-2-1">4</a>
<p id="fn-2-1"><a href="#fnt-2-1">4</a>

are all fine.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:44 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
In fact, I find it easer to add all my notes when it is still a single file. Usually when I split the file in chapters Sigil automatically adjusts the note references to the correct chapter. This goes well most of the time.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:38 PM   #5
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Nested tags are not illegal, unless you mean something different. There's absolutely nothing wrong in adding the "id" attribute to any existing tag, and it's in fact preferred (rather than adding an empty dummy <a> tag just to hold the "id" attribute):

<a id="fnt-2-1" href="../Text/Section0008.xhtml#fn-2-1">[4]</a>
<a id="fn-2-1" href="#fnt-2-1">4</a>
<p id="fn-2-1"><a href="#fnt-2-1">4</a>

are all fine.
As long as it works and doesn't throw any errors. Sigil was splitting my IDs from my HREFs and when I looked at HTML referrences sites I was lead to believe they couldn't share the same A element.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:58 AM   #6
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you compose your text in Word, using its endnote function, Calibre will automatically create the links when converting DOCX to EPUB.

If you're doing it manually in Sigil (or, hopefully, semi-manually using some nifty REGEX) there's no need to have a chapter's endnotes physically at the end of THAT chapter. One block at the end is fine. The linking and linking back works just the same.

When what you really wanted was a footnote on THAT page, consider integrating it into the main text.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:52 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Why on earth are you bumping an 8-1/2 year old thread?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:31 PM   #8
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Dunno. It must have shown at the top of some list somewhere.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:53 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
Dunno. It must have shown at the top of some list somewhere.
Usually MR also pops a Necro warning if you try that
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:34 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wish it did poop (stet) it, instead is splats it below what I can see when I open a thread at last post

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote