Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-02-2019, 03:08 AM   #1
Kalenden
Kalenden began at the beginning.

Device: None
Recommended Tablet/eReader/Device for freelance/office/travel/personal use: reading b

Hi,

I am looking for some recommended Tablet/eReaders for freelance/office/travel use. I am an independent contractor so I both travel a lot, work from home, at night, and am an avid reader of newspaper and books while I also enjoy listening to the radio, podcasts and audiobooks.

So, requirements are reading (e)books, newspapers, listening to audiobooks/podcasts, long battery-life, comfortable to use and read for long periods of time, while travelling, also outside and at night, minor app usage is also plus, …
I suspect what I am looking for is something that is a blend between Kindle Oasis and an Android Tablet, a device which (as far as I know) does not exist.

However, I am wondering what other people use with similar needs. What devices would you recommend? Multiple? A compromise? Looking for input!
Kalenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:34 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
get two devices - because an LCD tablet will be unreadable outside in bright light, and most e-ink devices can't handle radio & podcasts
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 12:44 PM   #3
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra H2O, Clara HD, Inkpad 3 & Inkpad 4, BOOX Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalenden View Post
Hi,

I suspect what I am looking for is something that is a blend between Kindle Oasis and an Android Tablet, a device which (as far as I know) does not exist.
Hi.

With an E-INK screen?
And what device size do you prefer?
Do you also need pen support?

[E-INK & Android]
"10.3"
• BOOX Note Pro
• Likebook ALita

"7.8"
• Boox Nova / Pro ( only audio with bluettoth)
• Likebook Muse

[Super Amoled]
• Samsung TAB S3. (9.7 screen 4:3 )

A month ago I bought the Samsung Tab S3, which today is not so much and I'm really satisfied.
* Excellent sound, reactive, Amoled, battery life, price.

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 09-02-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:37 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalenden View Post
So, requirements are reading (e)books, newspapers, listening to audiobooks/podcasts, long battery-life, comfortable to use and read for long periods of time, while travelling, also outside and at night, minor app usage is also plus, …

However, I am wondering what other people use with similar needs. What devices would you recommend? Multiple? A compromise? Looking for input!
I have similar needs, and by far the best solution (IMO) is to not look for a Swiss Army Knife. I keep radio/audiobooks/podcasts for my phone, and have an eink reader (currently Kobo H2O Edition 2) for the books.

There are e-ink Android devices; I believe they fall down a bit on battery life, but I've not used one so can't speak from personal experience. See the previous post for more.

If you have a need to read a lot of A4 or larger formatted PDFs, graphic novels, or textbooks with complex layouts, an iPad or similar tablet might be a good choice there. However, any tablet is not going to fulfil the "long battery life" requirement (assuming you mean many days to weeks - not that much of an issue unless you're hiking the Appalachian Trail, and even then you can get solar chargers), or the easy to read in bright sunlight side of things. I have an iPad mini for graphic novels and magazines, though larger is more optimal (it's a tradeoff on weight for me, as I have hand arthritis).
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 04:57 AM   #5
Bob Willis
Enthusiast
Bob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle, IPAD Pro, Boox Note
Go for an Android e-reader, which would enable you access to newspaper, audiobooks and podcast by sideloading Apps on your device. If you want to read a lot in bed, an ereader with a frontlight would be better.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:11 AM   #6
Nausicaa
Connoisseur
Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
My eink reader had been collecting dust since I used Android phablets to read on.
Nausicaa is offline   Reply With Quote