Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
wdwrx
wdwrx began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 650
PRS650 Displays Two Pages at Once.

Hi all. This is my first post here, unfortunately because i seem to be having a frustrating problem with my PRs-650 that I've had for about 6 weeks. I've done a search, both on Google and this forum to no avail.
In the past few days, I've noticed that my eReader occasionally tries to display 2 or more pages at a time. Page turns become very slow and blink strangely, and text of the next page becomes visible "underneath" the current page. When sliding the power switch to sleep mode, the next, "un-read" page is displayed in a light grey negative image. Powering it back on seems to temporarily solve the problem, but only for a random period of time. It doesn't appear to me to be the same as "ghosting", which comes up in all kinds of searches.

I bought it at Best Buy (Canada) with the extended warranty, though it seems as if "intermittent" problems aren't covered. Should I call Sony service for warranty, or is there a fix or other root cause I can rectify?
Thanks in advance for your help and consideration.

Kind regards,
-Chris
wdwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:34 PM   #2
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
If this doesn't happen with only a few EPUB files created by some converters/generators (however, I've heard them reboot the reader, but never heard of "ghosting" "slowing down"),
I'd certainly call support. Sounds way too broken to be a simple software configuration issue.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
wdwrx
wdwrx began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 650
Thanks, kartu.
I've done a "soft-reset", and I'l give that a try. I'd love to get to the end of this book before I really start messing with it
It was starting to get worse, ie; happening more frequently, so i'm hoping the soft-reset works. If not I'll try a hard reset, and if that doesn't work, then off to the phone to see what Sony has to say.
Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Cheers,
-C
wdwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
HTML formatting issues CAN cause this, so YES it can be caused by 'software'.

I have had this happen repeatably only on one book.

I noticed that it only occurred at one or two spots in the book, and changing the font size to change the 'pagination' of the book would keep it from happening even in those spots.

The book that was doing this in my case was a free title from the Internet, and unfortunately, you can't control the quality of these free titles, so if this is only happening on a few titles or on books from a particular source, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Fortunately you don't run into it often. For example, I have over 1200 titles that I downloaded from the public domain section of www.feedbooks.com and I haven't had a single problem with any of them.

If it's a book you care about, you could try running the book through a format conversion in Calibre, from HTML to LRF or MOBI and back to EPUB to see if that fixes it.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote