Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-27-2009, 04:53 PM   #1
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Device: iliad
Cool MiniPad: Take notes on your Iliad.

Hello Iliad friends,

Edit:
  • 3 nov 2009: #34 Update 0.2.2, easier way to enter special characters
  • 30 oct 2009: #26 Update 0.2.1, Added support for special characters (for Spanish, French, etc...) via the new MOD key
  • 28 oct 2009: #16 update 0.2.0, solved display refresh problem. Newest version is attached to this post

To update: just remove the MiniPad directory on your memory card, unpack the update, and install again

Original message:
I am pleased to announce the first release of MiniPad, a small text editor for the Iliad.

The main features are:
  • A simple installer: unpack on your memory card and click the install entry in the menu
  • Includes a virtual keyboard for text entry.
  • You can position the cursor and select text with the pen
  • Cut, paste and delete are working
  • A date button inserts the current date at the cursor position...
  • A cool thing is that you can hide MiniPad without closing it, open a book, reactivate MiniPad without closing the book, etc...

Feedback is welcome. I'll develop this further if there is enough interest...

Enjoy!
Hansel.

PS: About the technology: MiniPad is written in Lua. It uses lgob, a Lua binding for GTK. The display refresh is handled by xx, a small program based on xepdmgr. The gui is designed with Glade, and converted to Lua with Glade4lua. More info can be found at http://www.hpelbers.org/iliad/start, sources are at https://dev.mobileread.com/trac/luai...iments/MiniPad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mini4.png
Views:	771
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	38168   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini3.png
Views:	798
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	38169   Click image for larger version

Name:	dump.png
Views:	730
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	38520  
Attached Files
File Type: gz MiniPad-0.2.0.tar.gz (641.1 KB, 450 views)
File Type: gz MiniPad-0.2.1.tar.gz (642.0 KB, 449 views)
File Type: gz MiniPad-0.2.2.tar.gz (642.1 KB, 613 views)

Last edited by hansel; 11-04-2009 at 03:46 AM. Reason: update
hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:10 AM   #2
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Hansel,

I haven't tried your MiniPad, but I really like the feature to hide without closing it.

I am wondering if the icon to hide MiniPad can be smaller. For example, just a "N" instead of "Notes" on the icon.

It seems that touchpen is not responsive to events on the right-most part of screen. So, icon too small may be not clickable.

BTW, I see that there is only six items listing. Are you using official Contentlister? Is MiniPad compatiable with newLister?

Last edited by ericshliao; 10-28-2009 at 08:12 AM.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2009, 09:26 AM   #3
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Hi Ericshliao

I can use any Icon I want to restore MiniPad. The size and location can be optimized when I get some user feedback... The great thing is that you can change it yourself without compiling anything: it is writen in Lua. Just edit MiniPad/_files/App.lua

Can you give it a try when you have some spare time?

It works with NewLister. The display of my Iliad was replaced recently, I got it back reflashed to factory settings... I didn't install NewLister yet. (B.t.w: The display had some lighter spots. I got great service by Irex: they replaced it for free while my Iliad is over one year old)

Last edited by hansel; 10-28-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:36 AM   #4
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Hansel,
I would like to try MiniPad on my iLiad. Could you provide a package without automatic installation ipkg? I want to execute MiniPad on MMC.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
hansel
JSR FFD2

The ipk's install Lua its libs in /usr/local (about 1MB I believe). It would take some effort to configure those to run in another location... But you can uninstall the ipks easily on the commandline:
Code:
 ipkg remove lua5.1-iliad lgob-iliad
It's quite safe. You CAN unpack the ipks (they ar 'ar' archives with a tgz inside), and copy the files yourself to /usr/local, but that is certainly more error prone than using ipkg...

Last edited by hansel; 10-28-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Advert
Old 10-28-2009, 11:17 AM   #6
ericshliao
Guru

Just tried. Seems not working on my iLiad because I am using GTK+2.14.7, not the official one.

Added:
The "Notes" icon appeared. I am still trying.

Added 2:
When I click one the "Notes" icon, the screen refreshed once, but nothing happened then.

Last edited by ericshliao; 10-28-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:21 AM   #7
hansel
JSR FFD2

Thanks for trying!

What do you see? Any error messages when you run run.sh on the command line? I would expect it to run on newer GTK versions...

Edit: maybe a problem with xx, the refresh program I use. Can you try with xepmgr?

Last edited by hansel; 10-28-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #8
ericshliao
Guru

I found that after clicking on "Notes" icon, I have to click on the pagebar icon to get screen refreshed. Then MiniPad will show up. I have tried with both xx and xepdmgr. They both seems ok, only with the same problem.

Added:
Now I am using xx. After typing some text, I have to click on the pagebar icon to get these text show on the screen.

Last edited by ericshliao; 10-28-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:42 AM   #9
KillerRabbit
KillerRabbit began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
hansel,

This looks like an application I would find very useful. I installed it, but it doesn't seem to work for me. Here is what I did.

1. I downloaded the .tar.gz file and got the tar file.
2. I unpacked the tar file and got a MiniPad directory with a manifest.xml file and a _files directory.
3. I copied the entire MiniPad directory to my SD card, put the SD card back into my Iliad, and ran it from the Contentlister. Btw, I have the updated Contentlister. The installation seemed to go OK, i.e. no errors.
4. I had a new icon with a smiley face. I ran it and the Iliad did some more (sorry, can be more helpful here), but again no errors. The icon changed to a pen with a name of "Run MiniPad."
5. When I try to run the application, the green LED flashs, the screen refreshes, and... nothing. I do not get a Notes icon in the upper right like your screenshot shows.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks,
Marc
KillerRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:43 AM   #10
ericshliao
Guru

Marc,
reboot your iLiad after install. Then try again.

Added:
The Hide icon will hide MiniPad as I click, but the Notes icon will not show MiniPad unless I click on the pagebar icon.

Last edited by ericshliao; 10-28-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:04 PM   #11
ericshliao
Guru

Hansel,
your MiniPad reminds me one possibility: it may be expanded to provide IME of Chinese or other languages for iLiad.
For example, a combination of "J"+"I"+"3" will generate a specific Chinese glyph under certain traditional Chinese IME.

Last edited by ericshliao; 10-28-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:05 PM   #12
KillerRabbit
KillerRabbit began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
Sorry... I ment to mention that I've rebooted it.. a couple of times now. No change in behavior. I've also used the reset button on the back of the Iliad. All without any change in behavior.

>The Hide icon will hide MiniPad as I click, but the Notes icon will not show MiniPad unless I click on the pagebar icon.

I'm sorry to be dense, but I'm not sure I know what you mean by "pagebar icon." Do you mean the pencil icon to the left of "Run MiniPad?"

If that is what you mean, then I've done that (i.e. click on pencil icon) without any change in behavior. The green LED flashes for about 5 seconds, the screen refreshes and returns to Contentlister without a "Notes" icon.

Thanks for the quick reply.
KillerRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:09 PM   #13
ericshliao
Guru

The pagebar icon is on the lowest part of screen. You should see a "1" and "2" icon on the bottom of Contentlister (or newLister).
Old 10-28-2009, 12:47 PM   #14
hansel
JSR FFD2

Hello Friends,

Thanks for the feedback!

I guess there is an issue with display refresh It's hard for me to test, since it works fine on my Iliad. I probably have changed some setting...

@KillerRabbit: after starting MiniPad, do you see anything if you force a display refresh by pressing a button like NEWS or BOOKS?

@ericshliao: could you start MiniPad via run.sh (or xx) on the command line? I wonder if it says 'could not open display...' It might be a permission thing of the Xserver...

Thanks again!

Last edited by hansel; 10-28-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:02 PM   #15
ericshliao
Guru

This is what I got:
Code:
root@ereader:/media/card/installer/MiniPad/_files# ./run.sh
+ /usr/bin/dirname ./run.sh
+ cd .
+ export DISPLAY=:0.0
+ . ./utils.sh
+ pwd
+ SCRIPTDIR=/media/card/installer/MiniPad/_files
+ LOG=/media/card/installer/MiniPad/_files/logfile.txt
+ /usr/bin/dirname /media/card/installer/MiniPad/_files
+ APPDIR=/media/card/installer/MiniPad
+ /usr/bin/basename /media/card/installer/MiniPad
+ APP=MiniPad
+ adjust_manifest Run MiniPad Take notes on your Iliad... run.sh icon.png
+ sed -e s|_TITLE_|Run MiniPad| template.xml
+ sed -e s|_INFO_|Take notes on your Iliad...|
+ sed -e s|_SCRIPT_|_files/run.sh|
+ sed -e s|_ICON_|_files/icon.png|
+ echo adjust_manifest('Run MiniPad','Take notes on your Iliad...','run.sh','icon.png')
+ exit 0
root@ereader:/media/card/installer/MiniPad/_files# + /usr/local/bin/lua MiniPad.lua
+ ./xx -p
   0.001: ./xx: started (debug=0, forward=1)
Fontconfig error: "conf.d", line 1: no element found
   9.065: Error: could not open display 127.0.0.1:0.0
After these message came out, I have to click on pagebar icon to get MiniPad show on the screen.

Tags
editor, iliad, lua, notes, text