Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-16-2009, 04:01 AM   #1
TotalRoul
TotaleReader Crew
TotalRoul is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad, Cybook, Hanlin v3
Exclamation Barnes & Noble teaming with Sprint for Kindle rival?

More rumors :-)

Linked from Fierce Mobile Content

http://www.fiercemobilecontent.com/s...val/2009-04-09

Quote:
Bookstore chain Barnes & Noble is reportedly collaborating with Sprint and an unidentified manufacturer to develop an ebook device to rival Amazon.com's Kindle.
TotalRoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:10 AM   #2
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Ew... Sprint.

Sprint is so bad that when I worked for Sprint and had a discount, I STILL switched over to Cingular. It's not been great with the Kindle.

As to BN... um.. I dunno. I never buy anything from BN's website cause their prices are too high and I never buy anything from their stores because Borders always gives me big coupons and they don't.

Personally, I want to see one thing - interoperability! Kindle needs to get ePUB and drm'd PDF.... I hate being in this stage of technological development where everyone is trying to take over the market and no one has to play nice and work for the consumer's good.

Hell.. it took about a decade for till we finally got DRM free MP3's that can be played just about anywhere on anything coming from all the major retailers (sure, iTunes gives you their proprietary AAC crap but you can convert it in-program). I dread the wait on something like books.. almost everyone listens to music but hardly anyone reads!
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Hell.. it took about a decade for till we finally got DRM free MP3's that can be played just about anywhere on anything coming from all the major retailers (sure, iTunes gives you their proprietary AAC crap but you can convert it in-program). I dread the wait on something like books.. almost everyone listens to music but hardly anyone reads!
Gideon:

Please note that AAC is not proprietary! In fact, it's an ISO standard that may be freely implemented by anybody. Whether or not it's crap is debatable, but proprietary it ain't! See this page for a start on the details.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Okay... well.. "widely used" then. :grins:
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barnes & noble, kindle, sprint