Notices

Old 08-01-2008, 08:22 AM   #1
andyafro
Connoisseur
andyafro doesn't litterandyafro doesn't litter

Device: sony reader prs-500
WIRED magazine e-Ink Cover Hack?

Esquire's animated 75th anniversary cover

Okay guys, heres something I found very interesting-and some of you might too.

WIRED magazine is putting out its next issue with an e-Ink cover. There will be two e-Ink pages in the magazine-one will be the cover, which will be animated, and the other will be an ad for the new Ford SUV.

WIRED is inviting people to hack the applicaton, and see what they can do with it. Because Ford is defraying the cost of the technology, for the cost of the magazine you're basically getting the same screen as is used in the Kindle-but without the $350 price tag.

So, who's up for a little hardware hacking? The screens are attached to a circuit board with the data for the display onboard...but I betcha they can be adapted.

Full story is here

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/0...geeks-hac.html
andyafro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:23 PM   #2
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

It's Esquire magazine with the eink cover, not Wired. The issue won't be out until October. it isn't "the same screen" as the kindle, it just uses eink tech.
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2008, 01:11 PM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Also check:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27132
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26671

I am curious who will be the first to present the first hacked Esquire screen. My bet it's igorsk, if he can get his hands on one in time.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote