Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-30-2008, 05:13 PM   #31
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
So try loading the doc into the Sony software.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:14 PM   #32
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Have you tried OpenOffice/SunOffice or MS Works instead? What about Google Docs? Although I don't think it will make much difference considering RTF is a standard.
It does make huge difference.
When formatting latest free e-books I have received by email from Tor I have tried many options. When you copy and paste document from browser into OpenOffice.org writer or into MSWord the result does not even open properly in Sony reader. So I have opened rtf files in plain text editor, and ... You would not believe the mess the editors do when writing rtf file.

I ended up creating an rtf file by hand - using macros (scripts) in a plain text editor -- Vim.

- open html file
- replace all <i> tags with \i
- replace all </i> tags with \i0 tag
- replace all <p something> tags with \par
- delete all the rest of html tags -- :%s/<[^>]*>//g
- insert file header "stolen" from a very simple word pad created file (on Unix and Linux I use Ted editor that produces THE cleanest rtf code I have seen to date)
- insert footer "stolen" from the file above
- rename *html to *rtf

File size is small fraction of the same book formated in word processor.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2008, 05:51 PM   #33
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46137 View Post
OpenOffice is even more horrific than word.

I always save as rtf at the end. I just think I have to put up with it. Pain though
If you really want to know what is happening then look at the file in notepad. It is pure ascii and you can read it to figure out was is happening. Wordpad is by far the smallest. Word store metadata such as author and title and also has tracking rsid's scattered through the document and adds data about word as being the generator of the document, the printer size, paper size, formatting stuff and instantly makes it bigger. Each time you make a minor change and save it the resid's get added, the version gets bumped and other housekeeping things happen.

The best bet is to modify in word pad and then revisit once in word to add the metadata. (It is possible to just append the metadata at the bottom of the file from an older word rtf or design a simple script to add it back in. Just look it over and you will see how it is structured.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 07:04 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What will REALLY bump up the size of an RTF file is adding pictures to it. RTF stores each pixel of the image encoded as ASCII characters, and adding a 100kb JPG image can easily increase the size of an RTF by 3-4 MB!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote